Todays Whine - one week on.

P

pihlss

Originally posted by Bagloor
I did a little search and come up with the opposite, that GOA was hacked from the outside and that they closed down all services and kept quiet about it just becouse other potential hacker would not have any chance to take advantage of their weakness before they found out how it was done and fixed what was harmed.

And if there was only was weak code they would not have to close subs page and Right Now would they? They must have had or thought they had their webservices attacked too.

ps.
I love rumours :)

I must go with Baglor

GOA was hacked from the outside.

atleast they are saying that them self

M

mucking_fuppet

If you believe anything GOA tell you, you deserve to be dressed up as a carrot and forced to run around yelling "Spriggins!"

J

Jessy

Originally posted by pihlss
I must go with Baglor

GOA was hacked from the outside.

atleast they are saying that them self

Where did anyone say GOA was hacked ? didnt see anything about this on the US or Euro home pages. If you class hack as someone entering the servers without consent, then nope - they wernt hacked.

B

Bagloor

Originally posted by Jessy
Where did anyone say GOA was hacked ? didnt see anything about this on the US or Euro home pages. If you class hack as someone entering the servers without consent, then nope - they wernt hacked.

Press officer for Wanadoo Caroline Ponsi say that Goa were the victims of hackers from OUTSIDE the company, not internally as Mythic have been claiming.

J

Jessy

Originally posted by Bagloor
Press officer for Wanadoo Caroline Ponsi say that Goa were the victims of hackers from OUTSIDE the company, not internally as Mythic have been claiming.

I know this is going to sound strange, but as far as I see it.

Yes GOA were the victims of "hackers" from outside.... but the servers were NOT hacked.

Damn this is hard to explain, sorry not making a very good job of this :(

B

Bagloor

GOA was hacked and when they was already inside they did not need to hack the servers becouse the tools to manipulate the servers was easy to get hold of from other computers inside GOA?

J

Jessy

Maybe when im old and gray I'll post what I firmly believe happened without a shadow of doubt. but as for now I dont wana provide any knowledge that could help someone to do this again.

Sut surfice to say Im happy that my personal details are safe with GOA :)

One final thought, if people believe someone gained access directly to the servers... then dont you think GOA would have restored a backup of the servers to ensure the server was back in a known state thus effectively rolled back the game... this didnt happen :)

K

kahl

i ran into a problem, was hacked and shit. Since i just started all over again i decided to buy a new gamecopy and keep the information safe.

But, i ran into alot of problems the the online shops in Denmark, and first after 2½ week I got the game. (Thats a fucking long time to wait) but the day i got the game was the famous thuesday (the day which will stand clear to all of us the rest of our lives) and I didnt managed to registrate before they shutted down.

Now Ive been without DAoC for 1 month and 1 week nearly,m thats sucks!!

F

Flimgoblin

given that mythic are saying it was an internal dev tool used for the emain-thing

and that goa are saying they got hacked externally...

I'd say:

Someone hacked the GOA admin servers or whatever, and used that to access the internal dev tool.

J

Jessy

Originally posted by Flimgoblin
given that mythic are saying it was an internal dev tool used for the emain-thing

and that goa are saying they got hacked externally...

I'd say:

Someone hacked the GOA admin servers or whatever, and used that to access the internal dev tool.

Id would love to know where Mythic said that, as from what i have pieced together NO dev tool was used. Additionaly there is a differance between GOA saying "we got hacked externally" and the quote from above "Goa were the victims of hackers from OUTSIDE the company, not internally as Mythic have been claiming. "

The first statement implies servers were breached and changes made
The second simply signifies that GAO were vicrims of hackers and does not mean that the servers were infiltraded.

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by Jessy
Maybe when im old and gray

...like gandalf and not even a fraction as wise as the apple he carries in his pocket? :D

J

Jessy

Originally posted by old.Tohtori
...like gandalf and not even a fraction as wise as the apple he carries in his pocket? :D

Exactly.

The way i see it, the process that the so called "hacker" used forced Mythic to change the server code, hence the downtime on the US servers the same/following day as GOA once they knew what the "hacker" did. Due to short time used to fix the code and the fact only the server (or infastructure) was patched (no new client files) I am nowhere near confident that the same process (tweeked with different code) could not be used again hence all my Cryptic replies :)

Going by the official statements from the GOA and Mythic my jigsaw is complete :)

Users who are viewing this thread