Todays Whine - one week on.

J

Jessy

Originally posted by GOA 27th August 2003
"the various services of Dark Age of Camelot (RightNow & Subscription pages). Current estimations show that it will take several days and that everything should be back to normal at some point next week."

8 days later no services re-opened, and i doubt they will by the end of this week, only 1 day left.

"The first phase began yesterday and changed your GAME passwords. In the coming days, we will do the same procedure for the SUBCRIPTION passwords"

8 days later and no one has yet to recieve a sub password, hardly what you would class as "the comming days" - correct me here if anyone has actualy had a sub pass yet.

We will keep you informed on the evolution of the situation and on the planned actions.

No update regarding this problem for 7 days now, the friday news did not give any ray of hope.

Now dont get me wrong, ive got my game password and playing - i think GOA did a good job with the servers only being down for one day while they sorted things out internaly, thats alot less than other companies would have for a major security breach.

My point is.... GIVE US MORE INFORMAITON... nothing has been mentioned on this incident for over a week now, people without their passwords are getting itchy fingers.

V

Vell

And you needed to make a new thread why, exactly?

J

Jessy

Because.

• Im bored
  • Its Lunchtime
  • No one has done a thread today
  • Its also over a week since the last update
  • Everyone else makes a thread, why cant I
Want me to think up some more ?

S

Stormm

another weekend will pass without being able to play, reading our guild/ally forums and missiing out on all the happenings

had dinged my mincer 50 1 day before this bs

so fkin annoying, the lack of communication from GOA is a fukin disgrace and you can't even contact them to tell them.

if someone could come up with a nicely formatted letter to send to mythic post here somewhere - if enough of us send it you never know they may take a little notice - i know this will probably make fuk all difference but at least worth a try

i would write it but i don't think i can without the splattering of fuck, and ... fuckers all over it

I

injustice

Originally posted by Jessy
Because.

• Im bored
  • Its Lunchtime
  • No one has done a thread today
  • Its also over a week since the last update
  • Everyone else makes a thread, why cant I
Want me to think up some more ?

u r right dude.Don't carry about others.Just Write:)

fu GoA.

O

old.Tohtori

Dear GOA.

I am writing on the behalf of the DAoC Europe community. This whole incident with the hacking, servers goind down and the subscription pages being down has certainly been the largest shock to the community to date. We have had numerous threads about people leaving the game for other brands, several transfers to the US and countless of threads about why we are not informed of what is going on. Ofcourse we here understand that solving problems takes time and things might seem easier from the outside. All we ask from you is that you would keep the community, the paying customers, informed on how things are going. Even if the news would be in the form of: "Good day. Today we fixed this and that and things are moving along nicely."

I wish, with this email, to inform you that the community is not happy. Keeping us in the dark is not the option and we here hope that more often you would please us with some info on how things are going. We hope that things go smoothly and all this will be set aside as soon as possible.

Yours sincerely, The DAoC Europe Community.

P.S. No offense but do Fuck off and die. Thank you.

P

pitspawn

Originally posted by old.Tohtori
P.S. No offense but do Fuck off and die. Thank you.

:clap:

Was looking very professional up until the die irl :)

K

klavrynd

i'll just do like you but with less text

+1

S

scarffs

I understand how you must feel...this is an unprecedented fuckup.

M

mucking_fuppet

Originally posted by Stormm
another weekend will pass without being able to play, reading our guild/ally forums and missiing out on all the happenings

had dinged my mincer 50 1 day before this bs

so fkin annoying, the lack of communication from GOA is a fukin disgrace and you can't even contact them to tell them.

if someone could come up with a nicely formatted letter to send to mythic post here somewhere - if enough of us send it you never know they may take a little notice - i know this will probably make fuk all difference but at least worth a try

i would write it but i don't think i can without the splattering of fuck, and ... fuckers all over it

Dear Mythic.

The European servers of your game Dark Age of Camelot are run by chimps. Not just any old chimps, but chimps that have been repeatedly beaten over the head by a large, heavy object (possibly a computer, and possibly by each other). These chimps are incapable of communication with the human world, however they have been given a special translator stolen from the set of the movie Congo. This translator allowed the chimps to communicate (poorly) with the human world, but lately they have taken to trying to feed the translator bananas, which has lessened it's effectiveness.
Now usually we European players put up with the chimps because, well, they're chimps, but recently the chimps have reached a whole new level of foolishness. One chimp decided to try and play Dark Age of Camelot on our servers, but got a bit confused with all those keys and managed to spawn epic monsters in the frontier zones, amongst other things. His chimpish friends, realising their brother simian's little accident, tried to cover this up by saying this was the act of a malicious human hacker (they had been hitting each other with dictionaries all week) and, in an effort to reprimand their rather stupid brother, accidentally pulled the plug on our servers.
After about a day, the chimps managed to reconnect the server (it took them a while to realise a banana doesn't fit into a plug socket) and realised they had accidentally deleted every player's password information. The chimps acted quickly and sent a garbled message to each player, individually, which could also be used as a password. It was later discovered the chimps had found a 9 year-old child outside their building and begged him to help them.
However, our chimpish friends forgot to send out subscription passwords - they are too busy trying to feed the poor kid bananas all day - and we players were wondering, is it possible to send a team of humans over to replace the chimps? Please?

Thankyou for your time,

Sincerly, the European Dark Age of Camelot players.

M

Melodic

actually i emailed kemor about a separate issue and he was kind enough to include this little snippet, which is an update of sorts...

Hello there,

Sorry for the delay in the answer, I had no access to my emails for some time. Actually, as a side effect of the problems that happened recently
(http://camelot-europe.goa.com/news/newsarticle.php3?id_article=1264)

we, in GOA's office, went through a very heavy security checking which included total network re-structuration, re-installation of computers and other various tedious things. All this, as you can imagine, slowed down our work quite a lot and we are now catching up on things.

the "delay in answering" that he refers to was actually 3 hours since I just sent my mail off this morning. I am pretty impressed atm to have gotten a response at all, let alone one so quickly.

O

old.Tohtori

What are you trying to do here Melodic? To give Kemor a good name? To actually say that something works?!

Witch!

Burh her!!

Get the torches and burn her for herecy!

W

Waok

My Password e-mail bounced, as my email provider was down at the time GOA sent out e-mail.. lolz how unfortunate ;/ such is life.

This ofcourse, is not GOA's fualt.

Thing i'm most annoyed with is the updates to site and general upkeep informing users of the progress GOA are making.

I think people would be much happier if we just got given a little info on whats actually happening right now, and although dates etc and estimations would be good, i'd rather have details on GOA's situation.. would'nt take much to inform users of updates via the website.

I'm fine to just wait it out, even if it takes another week, I don't mind, I have other things todo in life, just keep users informed of whats happening, and i'm sure all these pointless threads will go down and poeple won't be as angry.

nerf savages plz

T

the_smurflord

This is beginning to sound more and more like an inside job rather than being hacked from outside GOA.

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by the_smurflord
This is beginning to sound more and more like an inside job rather than being hacked from outside GOA.

On a sidenote. Does anyone need an internet security manager in their company?

K

kameh

It always sounded like an inside job, either that or the twats got hit by one hell of a huge and mysterious virus that nobody else got ;)

B

Bagloor

Originally posted by Melodic
actually i emailed kemor about a separate issue and he was kind enough to include this little snippet, which is an update of sorts...

Hello there,

Sorry for the delay in the answer, I had no access to my emails for some time. Actually, as a side effect of the problems that happened recently
(http://camelot-europe.goa.com/news/newsarticle.php3?id_article=1264)

we, in GOA's office, went through a very heavy security checking which included total network re-structuration, re-installation of computers and other various tedious things. All this, as you can imagine, slowed down our work quite a lot and we are now catching up on things.

the "delay in answering" that he refers to was actually 3 hours since I just sent my mail off this morning. I am pretty impressed atm to have gotten a response at all, let alone one so quickly.

If this is true how easy it would have been by GOA just to put this info on camelot-europe and alot more ppl would have been a bit more sadisfied. Info4thewin I say, bad or good is better than shut up and think the problem will go away by themself. But maybe they are forced to shut up by security matter. OMG now I contradicts myself ;) stfu Baggie :D

T

the_smurflord

Can anyone tell me what a "structuration" is?

O

old.Tohtori

Something that comes before re-structuration i guess.

M

mbisiker

I belive theres also a legal issue here im sure i read some where that by law the subscription cant be down for more than 14 days as they have to provide a way for people to cancel their subscriptions

If this is true then GOA are flying head first into a large pile of shit which has hit then fan spayed every which way.

Im still a noob who hasnt even had a chance to play the game yet :(

T

tripitaka

Originally posted by injustice
u r right dude.Don't carry about others.Just Write:)

fu GoA.

Ice - why all the extreme hostility - with the 'FU goa' and stuff ?

Youll love it once your back up and playing and youll forget this ever happened after a week or two of playing again.

I can understand how angry ppl are, but your the only one who continuously says these comments including the swearing at them.

I have to say i'd laugh if they decided never to include you in their subs again because of the way you persaonlly talk about them on this forum.

It is obvious at the moment you dont like the company in general yet you will continue to play... Why ?

If they ever read your threads, which i doubt they do, they have the full right to stop you from playing anyways.

Ofc, there are a few others like urself who do complain about the service. I agree with the majority of complaints , but thats no reason to swear in every, and i mean EVERY thread u post about passwords / subs.

Its not big, its not clever.

T

tripitaka

Originally posted by mucking_fuppet
Dear Mythic.

The European servers of your game Dark Age of Camelot are run by chimps. Not just any old chimps, but chimps that have been repeatedly beaten over the head by a large, heavy object (possibly a computer, and possibly by each other). These chimps are incapable of communication with the human world, however they have been given a special translator stolen from the set of the movie Congo. This translator allowed the chimps to communicate (poorly) with the human world, but lately they have taken to trying to feed the translator bananas, which has lessened it's effectiveness.
Now usually we European players put up with the chimps because, well, they're chimps, but recently the chimps have reached a whole new level of foolishness. One chimp decided to try and play Dark Age of Camelot on our servers, but got a bit confused with all those keys and managed to spawn epic monsters in the frontier zones, amongst other things. His chimpish friends, realising their brother simian's little accident, tried to cover this up by saying this was the act of a malicious human hacker (they had been hitting each other with dictionaries all week) and, in an effort to reprimand their rather stupid brother, accidentally pulled the plug on our servers.
After about a day, the chimps managed to reconnect the server (it took them a while to realise a banana doesn't fit into a plug socket) and realised they had accidentally deleted every player's password information. The chimps acted quickly and sent a garbled message to each player, individually, which could also be used as a password. It was later discovered the chimps had found a 9 year-old child outside their building and begged him to help them.
However, our chimpish friends forgot to send out subscription passwords - they are too busy trying to feed the poor kid bananas all day - and we players were wondering, is it possible to send a team of humans over to replace the chimps? Please?

Thankyou for your time,

Sincerly, the European Dark Age of Camelot players.

Erm.. agree with most of it, but those who can play atm, shouldn't be included, so instead at the end, you should put :

"Sincerely, The European DAoC Players who can't access their accounts since password changes have taken place. "

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by tripitaka
Erm.. agree with most of it, but those who can play atm, shouldn't be included, so instead at the end, you should put :

"Sincerely, The European DAoC Players who can't access their accounts since password changes have taken place. "

Actually:

"Sincerely, The European DAoC Players who can't access their accounts since subscription pages are down."

*nods* :p

T

the_smurflord

Originally posted by old.Tohtori
Something that comes before re-structuration i guess.

Thanks for clearing that up Tohtori.

<goes off to pre-structurate something>

B

Bagloor

lol

Kemor is a Frenchman right? Maybe tis French?

J

Jessy

If you do a little searching on the net, youll find that the servers wernt hacked from inside... infact they wernt really hacked from outside either.. there is an explanation for what happened the servers/infastructure did need to be fixed to stop it happening again, from what I have read we should really be slating Mythic for sloppy code rather than GOA for poor implementation.

Dont believe it ? well check out
http://www.camelotherald.com/more/1029.shtml

Now isnt it funny that Mythic down ALL their servers on the 26th August <wink>

B

Bagloor

Originally posted by Jessy
If you do a little searching on the net, youll find that the servers wernt hacked from inside... infact they wernt really hacked from outside either.. there is an explanation for what happened the servers/infastructure did need to be fixed to stop it happening again, from what I have read we should really be slating Mythic for sloppy code rather than GOA for poor implementation.

Dont believe it ? well check out
http://www.camelotherald.com/more/1029.shtml

Now isnt it funny that Mythic down ALL their servers on the 26th August <wink>

I did a little search and come up with the opposite, that GOA was hacked from the outside and that they closed down all services and kept quiet about it just becouse other potential hacker would not have any chance to take advantage of their weakness before they found out how it was done and fixed what was harmed.

And if there was only was weak code they would not have to close subs page and Right Now would they? They must have had or thought they had their webservices attacked too.

ps.
I love rumours :)

J

Jessy

Originally posted by Bagloor
IAnd if there was only was weak code they would not have to close subs page and Right Now would they? They must have had or thought they had their webservices attacked too.

ps.
I love rumours :)

Nahh GOA was not hacked, the passwords were changed as a security measure, the mobs were possibly spawned using a hacked account hence the change it also makes sense to ensure you have the correct contact details for EVERY account if this process were to happen again, would make tracking down the culprit much easier.

Its not weak code... its sloppy :) theres a differance, Reading what I have seen today I understand how things happened but i have no idea and no wish to find the specifics.

Don't you think its funny that Mythic shut down all their servers the following day too - using the exuse of bringing some pendragon fixes to the live servers ahead of a main patch.

B

Bagloor

Oh yes I never thought of that... of course thats why they changed all the passwords :)

And reboot all the US servers on that same day that is suspicious

Users who are viewing this thread