Toa in sight - Europe ages behind

R

Roo Stercogburn

Pretty much every time there is a major US patch or release this debate comes up.

Most of the the updates are changes to mechanics. The patches with genuine new content are few and far between, even in the US. Because of this I'm sometimes a bit bemused that people get so worked up about not having the patches at the same time as the US. (I personally tire of the rollercoaster mechanics changes that some classes are on and sometimes am just happy to have a char that plays the same way for a few months consistently).

Foundations is a strange add-on, neither fish nor fowl. It isn't going to add genuine new content, but is just an exceedingly large fluff package. Yet people scream about it because we don't have it yet.

"OMG! We don't have the minor change to game mechanic X that my class NEEDS to be uber." is fairly typical of what you see.

If you aren't enjoying playing, a patch here or there isn't going to change the game much for you. If something like this is really upsetting you, its time to look hard at why you log in.

S

SoulFly Amarok

It will take alot more than february.

IF they publish it on june/july, I'm gonna shootmeself irl.

ALWAYS @ cottage :D

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by Roo Stercogburn
Pretty much every time there is a major US patch or release this debate comes up.

Most of the the updates are changes to mechanics. The patches with genuine new content are few and far between, even in the US. Because of this I'm sometimes a bit bemused that people get so worked up about not having the patches at the same time as the US. (I personally tire of the rollercoaster mechanics changes that some classes are on and sometimes am just happy to have a char that plays the same way for a few months consistently).

Foundations is a strange add-on, neither fish nor fowl. It isn't going to add genuine new content, but is just an exceedingly large fluff package. Yet people scream about it because we don't have it yet.

"OMG! We don't have the minor change to game mechanic X that my class NEEDS to be uber." is fairly typical of what you see.

If you aren't enjoying playing, a patch here or there isn't going to change the game much for you. If something like this is really upsetting you, its time to look hard at why you log in.

Now go back and read my post, then start again. All the above doesn't change the fact that we are now paying MORE for LESS does it?

R

Roo Stercogburn

Cho, lay off the caffeine and do some reading of your own I think ;)

The only thing I agree with in your post is that we are indeed paying more for no improvement in service... if you are an English speaking player. Actually GOA have added new servers, its just English-speaking players don't get the benefit of them. I don't count the PvP server in this, its a separate issue.

I have said before I don't think GOA should be running the English servers but not because of poor service, but because they can't hope to compete with the services offered in the US.
The benefit GOA offer is to non-English speaking players that prefer French or German servers. And well, thats pretty much it.

For people that are happy to play on French or German servers you get a service almost equal to that in the US, the only thing lacking is a cooperative server.

Its not going to change, its unlikely in the extreme there will ever be more English-based servers.

<shrug>

P

PJS

Originally posted by old.cHodAX
You seem to be forgetting one small point... GOA gave assurances at the start of retail about the patching program, they stated they would slowly catch up with Mythic and eventuallybe just one patch behind. Well, 20 months on and we are still three or four patches behind. We had a 33% rise in subscription price and what have we got in return? Piss poor service, subcription page down for days on end, a version of the game that the Americans were playing in March and the continuing problem of missed deadlines plus new bugs during translation. Now someone please tell me they are doing a great job...

nail & head :)

K

kahl

hehe suits me fine that toa will come later :>
currently my comp cant run TOA, nearly not SI
so i will have to save for a new computer and thats takes a while :p

we wouldnt want my chars to get nerfed :;P

L

Lorthania

Originally posted by chimaira
thats y they dont give a shit bout us.

Enough swedes/norwegians to have a scandinavian server imho

There may be enough Scandinavians to give them ONE separate server, but not two and certainly not three, so then you'd have everybody whining about not being able to play all three realms in their own language...

Lorth

F

Falcon

GOA were catching up for a while but then they upped subs and it all started going downhill from that point (when it should've been quite the opposite).

They're just going further and further downhill right now, I'd honestly be suprised if GOA were able to maintain a feasible business for DAoC for more than another year or so.

US players are much better looked after and able to fight off all the new up and coming MMOGs, but GOA's servers are losing a lot of players to new games, and even the US version of DAoC. They need to smarten up their act ASAP.

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by old.cHodAX
Now someone please tell me they are doing a great job...

Well...they make money.

If someone does his or her job they get money.

So i guess...in a general way...they do a great job..just not for the community :p

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by old.Tohtori
Well...they make money.

If someone does his or her job they get money.

So i guess...in a general way...they do a great job..just not for the community :p

You smell, fish breath :p

H

Hargh

Will World of Warcraft will be released to Asia, America and Europe at the same time? I think it's going to be about Q1-2 2004 which will be the time I am thinking of buying ToA, which as someone has said, has already had all the mystery taken out of it.

G

Gadd

alot of people are saying that mythic causes the bugs. if this is true why did only we get the /level 20 bug and not the americans?

T

Tesla Monkor

Mythic has CRAPPY version control. If GOA asks for the 1.63 files, it's anyone's guess what version they're actually getting. That's where a great number of the bugs are coming from.

As anyone who has installed stuff can tell you, 10 'the same systems' rarely are. There's always deviations. Aside from that I doubt Mythic wrote it's serversoftware in userfriendly fashion.

Just have patience. 1.63 is coming and it'll be here soon. ;)

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by Gadd
alot of people are saying that mythic causes the bugs. if this is true why did only we get the /level 20 bug and not the americans?

which /level 20 bug?

F

Falcon

The one where people without a 50 could /level for a short while probably.

O

old.Noita

Hello

Well as someone who has moved to the US servers recently I can honestly say it was worth it - my only regret was that I didnt do it after my 7 month break from EU DAoC came to an end. It took about 1 week for both copies of DAoC Gold to arrive (DAoC, SI, Foundations). Setting my accounts up was a piece of cake as was setting MY OWN usernames and passwords. Buying the US versions in $CAN saved me quite a bit of money too.

Life on the US servers is not that different from on the EU ones. You get to meet some real nice people also you get to meet some totally retarded fuckwits.

As far as primetime playing is concerned - I play the same time on the US servers as I did in EU and if I want a grp I can get a grp if I want to solo I can solo - on this I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever, as usual with these things it boils down to what class you play and so on. Many ppl on the US servers at the time I play work shifts or are other Euro exiles and tend to be slightly older and a bit more experienced gamers. PvE is great because most of the real juicy spots are rarely camped and RvR is almost totally zerg free, this is especially cool on high-population servers like MLF and Merlin which at US primetime are often full or close to it.

So far (and fortunately) I havent seen much of the l0lz0rpwnj004tehwin wankers which is a bonus of playing non-US prime time as teh k|dd|35 are safely locked... erm ... tucked up in bed.

Now... I have been on the US servers for maybe 3 or 4 weeks and I already have 2 level 45s and a bunch of little ones spread around - it really doesnt take that long to get to 50. Also even tho I started with absolutely nothing and knew noone on my main server, I now have a decent amount of cash, a house in Midgard housing zone (village of Kjarten) fully kitted out in a tasteful mediaeval nordic Kitsch style ;) and a bunch of people I regularly go hunting with. I have been able to play toonz in all 3 realms in English (which is deffo a bonus plus for us english speakers) and have even been able to play all 3 in all 3 realms on Gaheris (Co-op server) which despite the "Carebear" assumptions many people make (which are totally wrong incidentally as most uninformed assumptions usually are) Gaheris is actually a huge amount of fun to play on and makes a VERY nice change from "regular" servers if you feel like a bit of a break.

So... why am I here posting on BW when I could be playing on the US servers...? Well we get ToA and some patch today :) and servers are down :( . I dare say that over the next week or so the servers will be down quite a bit with Mythic fixing stuff and generally noodling about. By the time its more or less ironed out my ToA will have arrived and I'll be "sleepin with the fishes" or getting my Druid some phat lewt and some even phatter MLs/Artifacts.

So... to anyone who is contemplating moving to the US, it isnt hard, it doesnt take long to sort yourself out, with a decent guild you can do 50/RR4-5 in a surprisingly short time. You will have all the latest stuff as and when its released, great customer service and a greater array of options available to you. You can, in short, do a lot worse and sadly if you play on the EU servers you probably are.

C

cHodAX

Damn you Noita, I am so jealous :p Sad thing is that 6 months after the start of EU retail I was about to leave and play on US servers. One year on and I am cursing the day I chose to stay :(

N

-Nxs-

Lol at the people who have said "The grass is always greaner"

Wish I'd have played on the US servers a long long time ago - instead of wasting 2 years on the Euro ones.

Ahh well, DOAC is dead - long live FFXI

M

Moody

But when I want to order the US game online (I'm from Belgium btw) then after filling in my country as destination, a message comes up with "We are not allowed to sell/ship you this product" :help:

Mainly wanted to try Gaheris out and have access to a 3rd regular English server

O

old.Noita

Originally posted by Moody
But when I want to order the US game online (I'm from Belgium btw) then after filling in my country as destination, a message comes up with "We are not allowed to sell/ship you this product" :help:

Mainly wanted to try Gaheris out and have access to a 3rd regular English server

Order it from dvdboxofficeonline I can assure you they dont particularly care where they send it to :)

Also... I have played on Gaheris a bit and its really a pretty cool place for a small holiday from RvR. Its nice to have the run of all 3 realms, DF is open 24/7 to all and although that sounds quite cool believe me it gets pretty damn tedious after your 1 millionth Quasit :) But the first time you see a Firbolg in Jordheim is quite funny. Hunting in the frontiers is very good as well also not having to worry about getting ganked.

I would suggest tho if you are going to give it a try be careful of what class you roll 1st off on Gaheris... playing non-US primetime can be a pain if you roll a class/spec that NEEDS a grp to progress. Its not always the case tho but something to be aware of. Bonedancers/Necros and other classes that can solo effectively are prolly best initially at least til you get a nice Guild or some regular friends to grp with. Would suggest a DS Necro as soloing is good and with mana transfer grps will love you too.

The only small pain (more of an itch really) is that after a big patch or like now a big patch and an expansion (with a change of gfx engine and machines) there is quite a bit of repatching. Usually tho this is only for an hour or two at a time but it does coincide with Euro play time.

Anyways - thats my 2c worth.

PS

PapaCho - give in to your urges - come over to the dark side :) You know it makes sense :)

C

cHodAX

I am still very tempted I must admit, as a game I still like it even though RvR is badly broken these days. 1.65 offers some hope. The big pull for me would be no more patching delays, proper customer support and a co-op server plus the chance of new server types like home-invasion etc.

Anyway, my EU accounts expire soon. Will have long think about it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom