ToA: How does the Artifact system work?

Wildfire

Fledgling Freddie
OK perhaps I'm not paying enough attention, but having not tried a US account, the system for how exactly to obtain an artifact is a little blurry to me. I know there are three scrolls involved, a single item, a quest... and the artifact itself. What is the procedure though? It all seems a bit convoluted at the moment.

My guess:

1) Kill mobs (use a guide site) to obtain the three scrolls
2) Combine the three scrolls and talk to someone (dunno who though)
3) Exchange the three scrolls for a single item
4) Complete a quest
5) Pick up the artifact as a drop from the quest
6) Level said artifact

Have I got it right? Anyone able to tell me if/where I've got it wrong?

Iskander

Fledgling Freddie
Wildfire said:
My guess:

1) Kill mobs (use a guide site) to obtain the three scrolls
2) Combine the three scrolls and talk to someone (dunno who though)
3) Exchange the three scrolls for a single item
4) Complete a quest
5) Pick up the artifact as a drop from the quest
6) Level said artifact

sounds about right. You can find all the info about Artifacts,ML etc.. on this *spoiler* site : Site here

Arindra

Fledgling Freddie
Not quite.

You need to do 3 things in any order...

1) Complete the artifact encounter (your character needs the encounter flagged as complete like the merchant keep medal of valour quests)

2) Acquire the artifact (in most cases one drops most times the encounter is completed)

3) Acquire the 3 scrolls (dropped from specifc mobs after much camping - npcs tell you which mobs to kill)

Then you take all 4 items to a scholar who combines them to activate the artifact for you.

At that point the artifact becomes no trade.

You level up the artifact by earning xp in the manner specified for each artifact (examples include "at night" "in a group of >3" "killing undead" "in the HotC dungeon complex" etc etc) with the artifact equipped. Typically you need one level 50 bubble worth of xp to get an artifact to level 10.

Alak Abaeir

Loyal Freddie
In this page can see many picturos from TOA .....
  • artifacts, weapons, armors, MasterLevels and news interfaces...(Prety interfaces ...)
Enjoy it...​

Ssera

Fledgling Freddie
Arindra said:
Typically you need one level 50 bubble worth of xp to get an artifact to level 10.

:eek7: took me ages to get 1bub of XP at 50 with my main. Once again the casual gamers get shafted by Mythic :(

Asty

Fledgling Freddie
hmm saw some duskwood staffs there? Can you craft that stuff? o_O

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Ssera said:
:eek7: took me ages to get 1bub of XP at 50 with my main. Once again the casual gamers get shafted by Mythic :(

one bub of exp at lvl 50 = amount of exp takes to pl someone 1-50. Just pl somebody as your levelling your artifact

xoboll

Fledgling Freddie
necro gets about 2 bubs p/l from 1 -50.. so its not that bad.. had my pala at 50 for 21 days and hes already got 1.3 bubs.. but i killed a lot in df :)

but you r looking at around 3-4 days played assuming the mobs u need to kill r a regular and easy spawn

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Not all artifacts level at the same rate, afaik.... but that probably depends on what you need to kill. If you can find a good camp to meet the requirements, a few days of hardcore XP will be enough. Some artifacts which level in RvR etc, will obviously take longer.

Arindra

Fledgling Freddie
Asty said:
hmm saw some duskwood staffs there? Can you craft that stuff? o_O

You are probably refering to legendary weapons rather than artifacts.

Legendary weapons require...

1 rare drop
1 Level 51 Weapon (must be one of the new recipe weapons introduced next patch)
3 Weapon Tinctures
3 Perfect spellcraft Gems
40 Arcanium or 92 Duskwood

An lgm WC/fletcher can combine the above to create a legendary weapon, it will, generally speaking, have the following characteristics...

- 8 or 9 % resist to 2 damage types
- 28 CON
- 16.5 dps *elemental* damage (as opposed to slash/crush/thrust)
- A proc (melee weapons) or charge (caster staffs) doing 60 delve damage and a 15 second 15% resist reduction on the same damage type as the proc/charge.
- 7 or 8 % bonus damage to certain types of npcs.

The damage type and resist reduction of the weapon is determined by the specific rare drop you use. afaik, the options are cold, matter, spirit, and heat. The options will be a particular issue for casters, since obviously they effectively make your DDs 20% stronger if you can match one to your DDs(20% assuming the base is 74% damage after item resists).

Note that crafting retries on these weapons would be prohibitively expensive, and quality does not appear to be carried over from the weapon you use as a component. That said, since you will not be spellcrafting a legendary weapon - it's not entirely critical to be using 99% or better.

-Freezingwiz-

Fledgling Freddie
Arindra said:
You are probably refering to legendary weapons rather than artifacts.

Legendary weapons require...

1 rare drop
1 Level 51 Weapon (must be one of the new recipe weapons introduced next patch)
3 Weapon Tinctures
3 Perfect spellcraft Gems
40 Arcanium or 92 Duskwood

An lgm WC/fletcher can combine the above to create a legendary weapon, it will, generally speaking, have the following characteristics...

- 8 or 9 % resist to 2 damage types
- 28 CON
- 16.5 dps *elemental* damage (as opposed to slash/crush/thrust)
- A proc (melee weapons) or charge (caster staffs) doing 60 delve damage and a 15 second 15% resist reduction on the same damage type as the proc/charge.
- 7 or 8 % bonus damage to certain types of npcs.

The damage type and resist reduction of the weapon is determined by the specific rare drop you use. afaik, the options are cold, matter, spirit, and heat. The options will be a particular issue for casters, since obviously they effectively make your DDs 20% stronger if you can match one to your DDs(20% assuming the base is 74% damage after item resists).

Note that crafting retries on these weapons would be prohibitively expensive, and quality does not appear to be carried over from the weapon you use as a component. That said, since you will not be spellcrafting a legendary weapon - it's not entirely critical to be using 99% or better.

cool :)

Ivynoxia

One of Freddy's beloved
Elemental weapons w/ debuff proc

On the topic of elemental weapons w/debuff, such as Legendary weapons and sun swords. Everyone will be thinking along the same lines of maxxing their magic resists (especially cold, matter, spirit, and heat since these are the craftable ones) and buying 1st level of AoM at least. In addition to that if you're using them in grouped RvR everyone will have buffed magic resists to around ~50%. :eek6: Then take into account that crafted Legendary weapons are random qua 94-100, you'll get lowered DPS..or it'll be costly and time consuming to get a 99/100 given that it costs 700g-800g per weap(make cost) and u need dropped components.

I suspect that 2-3 months or so after TOA is released and everyone will have bumped up their magic defense, and elemental weapons wont be as effective. But on the other hand it might be fun tho for the first couple of weeks to be running around with 2 Sun swords and using WA to crit on the debuffs, and doing insane dmg.

As pierce shade i'm going safe for a Golden Spear piercer 4.2spd for my main hand, which debuffs thrust -9%, +3 to cap for crush/slash/thrust and has omg 4.2spd :D

Arindra

Fledgling Freddie
My *understanding* (which I haven't been able to find good evidence either way on) is that legendary weapons do not do magic damage except on the proc.

They do elemental damage. Which, afaik, you don't have a resist for.

Also note that AoM is nerfed next patch, and due to this, and artifacts having crap utility scores, combined with pressure to pick up ToA % bonuses, most people found their magic resists dropping in ToA.

20% templates are now more typical than the current 26%.

Gunny

Fledgling Freddie
To get a Artifact you need to 1st kill the mob that drop the artifact, this will give you "credit" for the encounter. You will see a msg like "You finish the Hermes encounter"

Then you need to farm 3 scrolls, once you have all the scrolls you combine them to 1 book.

Then you give the artifact and the book to a Master of Lore in the Hall of Heroes, he will then give you the completed artifact

Once you have the artifact you need to level it up, Artifacts start at lvl 0 and can be leveled to 10. Some level off xp and some level off Realm Pts.

As for Legendary weapons, they do magical dmg and proc a DD/debuff that debuff that type of dmg. And remember that different armor types are weak vs magical dmg. Like leather armor has - 15% resist vs heat dmg weapons add your 20% resist debuff proc to that and you do 35% more dmg

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
they do magic damage - e.g. cold damage for an ice weapon, with a cold debuff proc.

so if yer fighting someone with resist buffs they'll be bad, if not they'll be good :)

Ivynoxia

One of Freddy's beloved
I think the proc effect debuffs the same damage type as the weapon itself.

ie.

If you look at screenshots for Legendary Weapons, delve info shows they have base DPS 16.5, clamped etc, and then underneath a Damage Type: Energy/Cold/Heat/Spirit .. i think .. let me look for one, yes here's one

http://www.visionofsages.net/toa/img/legBattleaxe.jpg

you're right in saying elemental damage by pass [edit] melee armour tables (vulnerable/neutral/resistant) tho.

Ivynoxia

One of Freddy's beloved
Gunny said:
Like leather armor has - 15% resist vs heat dmg weapons add your 20% resist debuff proc to that and you do 35% more dmg

Is that still valid, I've read that was put in a while ago , but then removed in a new patch, the same one when they factored in AF for Bolt'ing dmg.

Gunny

Fledgling Freddie
It is on the US servers, dunno about bolts. Maybe its only for melee dmg done by legendary or sun weapons. Doing crazy dmg on infs with 2h legendary heat weapons, they usually get negativ resist after proc

Ivynoxia

One of Freddy's beloved
I dunno anymore... ;x

Yeah Gunny, I just went on to the US forums and got some new info, not sure if it's reliable since it's not sourced from official grab bags/ patch notes etc. But the impression I got is that all armours _still_ have specific weaknesses to magic damage. A few are saying that they shouldnt exist anymore after Mythic changed Bolts to take AF into account instead. It was there to give bolters optimal targets etc.

Yet the Hunter TL said this recently..
>>>>Leather armor (across all three realms) has an intrinsic 15% vulnerability to locational heat dmg. Bolts and Legendary Weapons are the only two sources of locational dmg, which means that every hit counts as the victim having 15% less resist vs. heat. I've seen some characters who ended up giving me a solid bonus to my melee dmg because their heat resists were so weak the 15% ended up giving me a bonus. This feature goes both ways, it's more than possible for anybody to wield an Energy weapon from the Belt of the Sun for a 10% bonus vs. chain, or a Benthic/Tempestuous/Belt of Sun weapon for a 5% bonus vs. studded. <<<<

and apparently, in the SI Prima guide, it lists the below vulnerablities for armour

Magic Resistance Table
(+ = takes more damage | - = takes less damage | 0 = neutral)

Cloth neutral to all

Leather & Norse Leather
Heat +15%
Cold -10%
Matter - 5%
Energy 0

Studded & Norse Studded & Reinforced
Heat -10%
Cold +5%
Matter +5%
Energy +5%
(from Yussef: spirit -5%)

Chain & Norse Chain
Heat -10%
Cold 0
Matter 0
Energy +10%

Plate & Scale
Heat -10%
Cold +10%
Matter -10%
Energy +10%

Some are sure that these still exist in the game and legendary weapons use the above table. I really would like to see as a question in grab bag, it would set things down in stone. Well, I'm beginnning change my mind about elemental weapons, against different armours they could make a huge difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom