TOA. Equip bonuses nerfed O_o (1.68D)

Pitspawn

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 4, 2004
Messages
63
Due to mainly "overpowered" cast speeds TOA have revised equip bonuses and nerfed them. Cant be having casters winning can we?!?!!? Threads like below are the root cause of this ...

Mythic, your 2 second casting hard cap is broken

This above thread, the guy seriously believes it would be fair to make casters cast cap at 2 seconds, due to melee having an enforced cap (He forgets ofc that you can use slower weaps and gain the benefit of higher DPS while staying in the cap range)

PBAE has goten so fast it can be cast while walking. Please look at cast times

This one is quite comical too. The enchanter TL basically said if he walks slowly forward maybe 1 in 5 pbaes might land due to lag. Somehow this is overpowered and gets exxagurated into casters with runspeed pbaeing at speed6 :m00:

Ah well just shows you how many idiots there are on the VNboards ;) Anyway now for the patch notes ...

STAT CAP BONUS NOTES

As most of you know, Trials of Atlantis features many powerful items and artifacts that give very strong bonuses to different player stats and
combat abilities. Since the expansion's launch we have become aware that by mixing and matching different Trials of Atlantis items, players can make their characters far more powerful than we intended. Because of this, we are now making changes to the way that stat bonuses and some buff types from ToA items are capped.

- In researching this issue, we found that a 50th level character could receive up to 50 bonus stat points (the character's level divided by 1) from items, buffs, etc. Our design called for the stat cap to be set at the character's level divided by two (plus one), and we've even given this answer out in discussions and chats. Feedback from our users proved there was a discrepancy. We have fixed this bug, so now everyone's stat cap bonus will be lowered to meet the new formula. Now, a level 50 character's stat bonus cap will be 26, not the overpowered 50.

- A new cap has been added that limits the bonus from ToA items that buff the following items:

- casting damage bonus
- melee damage bonus
- archery damage bonus
- casting speed
- melee speed
- archery speed,
- casting range
- archery range
- Accuracy for archers, melee, spells

Previously, characters received the full bonus. Now, they are capped to be level divided by 5, total, for each of those three buffs. So, now a level 50 character with three items that each give a +5% bonus to melee combat speed will receive a 10% bonus, cumulative, from those items, instead
of 15%.
Am i right in thinking the previous cap was 25% now is 10% ?!?!? Suddenly im not looking forward to TOA as much as i previously did. Although with only 10% to worry about I can prolly whip up an SC without loosing any stats/resists with that lower cap.
 

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 9, 2004
Messages
335
Pitspawn said:
Due to mainly "overpowered" cast speeds TOA have revised equip bonuses and nerfed them. Cant be having casters winning can we?!?!!? Threads like below are the root cause of this ...

Mythic, your 2 second casting hard cap is broken

This above thread, the guy seriously believes it would be fair to make casters cast cap at 2 seconds, due to melee having an enforced cap (He forgets ofc that you can use slower weaps and gain the benefit of higher DPS while staying in the cap range)

PBAE has goten so fast it can be cast while walking. Please look at cast times

This one is quite comical too. The enchanter TL basically said if he walks slowly forward maybe 1 in 5 pbaes might land due to lag. Somehow this is overpowered and gets exxagurated into casters with runspeed pbaeing at speed6 :m00:

Ah well just shows you how many idiots there are on the VNboards ;) Anyway now for the patch notes ...



Am i right in thinking the previous cap was 25% now is 10% ?!?!? Suddenly im not looking forward to TOA as much as i previously did. Although with only 10% to worry about I can prolly whip up an SC without loosing any stats/resists with that lower cap.
Lol, kids these days. Its just numbers mate.
And those articats were very overpowered, meaning everyone that don't have em gets beat ut badly. Its a VERY good fix.
 

Belomar

FH is my second home
Joined
Dec 30, 2003
Messages
5,107
Is it just me who has trouble deciphering the following part:
Previously, characters received the full bonus. Now, they are capped to be level divided by 5, total, for each of those three buffs. So, now a level 50 character with three items that each give a +5% bonus to melee combat speed will receive a 10% bonus, cumulative, from those items, instead
of 15%.
Three buffs? :eek7:

Anyway, it seems to boil down to 10% bonuses being the max. Sigh.
 

Belomar

FH is my second home
Joined
Dec 30, 2003
Messages
5,107
Ahh, I see now. Well, this is sad. The question now becomes -- how long until this nerf hits us on the European servers, and is it worth investing countless hours in levelling a lot of artifacts you will have no use for soon anyway?
 

Pitspawn

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 4, 2004
Messages
63
Mythics general thought of mind ...

- Create expansion with many overpowered items, uber new exp zones, and cool abilities to force people to buy the new expansion.
- Wait a few months for everyone to buy the expansion.
- Wait for everyone to spend months of pve farming for cash + loot drops to create a new SC template.
- Nerf all things added in expansion so that those who didnt buy it dont feel left out.
- Invalidate all current SC templates so customers redo whole process again = more subs for them.

:eek7:
 

bult

Loyal Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
592
Pitspawn said:
Mythics general thought of mind ...

- Create expansion with many overpowered items, uber new exp zones, and cool abilities to force people to buy the new expansion.
- Wait a few months for everyone to buy the expansion.
- Wait for everyone to spend months of pve farming for cash + loot drops to create a new SC template.
- Nerf all things added in expansion so that those who didnt buy it dont feel left out.
- Invalidate all current SC templates so customers redo whole process again = more subs for them.

:eek7:
Then release new expansion. repeat.
 

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
Joined
Jan 23, 2004
Messages
777
Exactly we all should be have god like damage every 1 second so battles last
around 10 secs coz that soooooooooooooo fun right :fluffle:
 

Asty

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
805
bah i had a dream about being fotm :(

But overall.. i think this will make people's attitude towards TOA better. But that should have been done before, i mean.. 9000 yanks have farmed for long and bought a new SC set with all the cool bonuses and then it gets nerfed :x

Well good that it happened to them instead of us :m00:
 

Pitspawn

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 4, 2004
Messages
63
Garok said:
Exactly we all should be have god like damage every 1 second so battles last
around 10 secs coz that soooooooooooooo fun right :fluffle:
Considering casters defence, considering how easy it is to interrupt us, considering how we are always targetted first and are the first to die, considering we are constantly facing 50% resists to our enemy ... Yeah i think our damage should be pretty decent. Maybe increasing cast speed is the wrong way to go about increasing casters DPS, but in dark ages of tankalot anything to throw casters a bone is good imo.
 

Pin

Can't get enough of FH
Joined
Jan 8, 2004
Messages
874
Pitspawn said:
Considering casters defence, considering how easy it is to interrupt us, considering how we are always targetted first and are the first to die, considering we are constantly facing 50% resists to our enemy ... Yeah i think our damage should be pretty decent. Maybe increasing cast speed is the wrong way to go about increasing casters DPS, but in dark ages of tankalot anything to throw casters a bone is good imo.
with +damage, +speed, +intcap and +dexcap, casters dps was tripled. not to mention +range.
if you cannot see that that is stupidly overpowered, well...

with the lowered caps, you can still get over 50% higher dps than now, which is very decent.
 

Asty

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
805
wonder if its still dark age of tankalot in TOA
 

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
10,133
Im sorry but all this whining about casters being shite is bull shit
A caster playing smart can in general beat a heavy tank if they spot them 1st
e.g RC Rm vs warrior
Bolt Nuke Nuke Root Sprint away speed kicks in Bolt Nuke Nuke Tank is usally dead, if not root (due to previous root only lasts 1 second), but spint away warrior is now ooe, u have speed so u stil have end. Bolt Nuke Nuke

If ur bored add a few debuffs


Casters were designed to take out heavy tanks the only problems i see with being a caster is against hybrids such as skalds and thanes (before u say savage they no onlger have a insta it is on a 2 sec cast timer).


TOA is dark age of casters through and through, casters are first to die because tanks arent regarded the biggest risk. This is how much grps fear casters... maybe u should think about it before you whine.

Low dmg? Perhaps u aught to try /assist
 

Pitspawn

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 4, 2004
Messages
63
Pin said:
with +damage, +speed, +intcap and +dexcap, casters dps was tripled.
Aye, thats true. I can only really speculate what TOA is like for casters because we still dont have it.

@Chronictank:

I was never talking about 1v1 combat, thats not what daoc is about. When do you see solo casters running about bumping into solo tanks? Never. Anyway, just because pure tanks dont naturally have the tools to defeat caster it doesnt mean they cant get them with insta interrupting alc charges etc.

Casters dps has never been the problem, its their survivability. Horridly low AF, low ABS, low hitpoints, no parry/shield/evade, no determination, no ignore pain, no avoid pain etc etc I agree casters defence should be crap for the raw dmg output they get but i think its gone a little too far.
 

Pin

Can't get enough of FH
Joined
Jan 8, 2004
Messages
874
Chronictank said:
Im sorry but all this whining about casters being shite is bull shit
A caster playing smart can in general beat a heavy tank if they spot them 1st
e.g RC Rm vs warrior
Bolt Nuke Nuke Root Sprint away speed kicks in Bolt Nuke Nuke Tank is usally dead, if not root (due to previous root only lasts 1 second), but spint away warrior is now ooe, u have speed so u stil have end. Bolt Nuke Nuke
previous root means a second root lasts 0 seconds, not 1.
casting spells costs endurance, the RM had used his full endurance bar on the 7 casts+1st sprint. But doesn't matter, there's end pots - and only the stupidest tanks around wouldn't have a dozen of those in his pack.
So the caster's done maybe enough damage there to kill the warrior.... oops, he has a full self-instaheal. oh, and had a 700hp heal which he could have used while rooted.
Oh, and lets not forget that there were probably a couple of resists, or the bolts missed (or were blocked).
And of course that this is an isolated 1v1 case that nobody gives a crap about, because this is not a PvP game. In this game, people run in groups. The tank would be running with speed at the start, both sides would have friends that cast CC and heals, etc.

So all in all, a useless example.
 

Asty

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
805
what do you think? will it still be dark age of tankalot?
 

Gorre

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
389
oghwell took em long enuff to figure that out
to bad dd casters get a nurf again due to pbaoe casters

anyway all im intrested to know is when we will get the 10%cap?
with the release of toa or 5months after it? :p
 

Warlock

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
261
We'll get v1.67 with ToA :puke:
I just hope GOA has enough brains to give us 1.68 shortly after TOA...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom