TO Those that self Learned MCSA/MCSE

Gamah

Banned
Can you please recomend me some books/resources to learn MSCA/MCSE from scratch in order to take the VUE exams.

Thanks.

If you self learned and now work in the I.T sector please can you pm me your msn so I can ask you some questions.

razeredge

One of Freddy's beloved
Sybex are generally the best afaik to learn the material, though to pass the test is another story, best to get exam questions off sites like actual tests, they give u a load of questions from the actual exams, you'll probably actually recognise a few when u take them

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Gamah said:
Can you please recomend me some books/resources to learn MSCA/MCSE from scratch in order to take the VUE exams.

Thanks.

If you self learned and now work in the I.T sector please can you pm me your msn so I can ask you some questions.

I used microsoft press books.

Each book won't touch what you need to know to pass so get the recource kits too, I also used self test software in addition to the test software that comes with the MS Press Books.

So in Short
The book with the exam number + the recource kits (if available)+ Self test software.

If u do mcsa messaging u can get exchange res kit and admin guide aswell as the study guide.
Servers 2003 has a hefty 7 book recourse kit too which also comes in handy for the 291 exam.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
razeredge said:
Sybex are generally the best afaik to learn the material, though to pass the test is another story, best to get exam questions off sites like actual tests, they give u a load of questions from the actual exams, you'll probably actually recognise a few when u take them

I used Sybex for NT4 and 2000 study and i didnt get anywhere, but it was a while ago now and i dint know much then. I wouldn't say not to use them but................

The way i saw it in the end was why not use books made by the company that make the software+u get trial software if u dont have access to volume licensed stuff :p

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
I used a combination of microsoft press books and some courses (due to work paying for the courses).

I had already done a lot of Server work, so wasn't too hard. I recommend having a server to play with (can be just your gaming PC with dual O/S).

Can ask me questions via here if you want. Won't let MSN anywhere near my PC or any network I adminster. It's too much like bending over.

Darzil

Gamah

Banned
Can duel O/S etc,

I was planing this order of study (from looking at jobs)

MCSA & MCDBA Get a job as a low level I.T grunt/helpdesk
Citrix (will a CCA be enough or do you think I need anything else?)
MCSE
Cisco

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Gamah said:
Can duel O/S etc,

I was planing this order of study (from looking at jobs)

MCSA & MCDBA Get a job as a low level I.T grunt/helpdesk
Citrix
MCSE
Cisco

MCSDT Will get u low level dekstop job

Certs will boost chances to get an admin job but with no experience u will have trouble.

Leave out MCSE imo, wait till u can do it vista stylie and get CCNA and CCA first.

I would do MCP MCSA CCNA CCA.

Then expand MCSA to MCSE, CCNA to CCNP then CCA to CCNE dpending on what your doing most in your job.

Hope i got the abbreviations correct :p

atos

Fledgling Freddie
I'd go with the Cisco stuff first. Thats where the money is. Most Microsoft stuff can be learned just by clicking around and setting up your own network at home.

Case

Fledgling Freddie
Depending on your level of internetworking experience and exposure you'd find it pretty tough to get a CCNA without proper hands on experience. A CCNP would be next to impossible without doing a job that required the skills on a day to day basis and having a good amount of experience not to mention a total waste of time unless you have relevant experience to get you a job at the end.

My advice would be MCP windows XP as a start, get this exam completed and passed first since it`s the core exam (unless you do server 2003 instead) and also counts towards MCSE. Also this a good cert to help you get a job in IT support since nearly everyone uses XP.

Case

Fledgling Freddie
ps.

The way it works pretty much:
You need 6 core exams and an elective for MCSE these exams are known as MCP's. So once you pass an MCP in windows XP you have 1 of the core exams under your belt and so on. If you plan it right you can take all the exams for an MCSA and they all count also towards your MCSE, an MCSA requires 3 exams.

MCSA
3 exams

MCSE
6 exams

Hope thats clear Oo

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Gamah said:
Aye I have been having a good look through the structure of the the MCSE's/A's.

Did you mean I should start with this one btw

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcdst/default.mspx

Yeah you do 271 which is the win xp exam then one specicially for the office suite. IIRC

/edit Check to see if this counts toward the mcsa/mcse as the core exam for xp is the 270 and this one for the mscdt is listed as 271

Gamah

Banned
Mojo said:
Yeah you do 271 which is the win xp exam then one specicially for the office suite. IIRC

I should be able to pass that, is the only question...

HAVE....YOU....TURNED...IT...OFF...AND....ON!

Gamah

Banned
Mojo said:

/edit Check to see if this counts toward the mcsa/mcse as the core exam for xp is the 270 and this one for the mscdt is listed as 271

It's one of the optional exams on the MCSA.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Gamah said:
I should be able to pass that, is the only question...

HAVE....YOU....TURNED...IT...OFF...AND....ON!

It may well be a bit below you tbh, u might just wanna go for the mcsa track ;)

Case

Fledgling Freddie
From what I recall they created a split version of the Xp core exam so you could take it in 2 sittings basically so testing centres can charge you double :)

Make sure you cross ref the core exam for xp with MCSA and MCSE and make sure it definately counts :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom