To the ppl of Hiberia.

V

vintervargen

a question.

on another thread in this section, spankya auctioned an mp rf chest. the main bidders were me and niljindil. we bid at first with 100g increments, until the last evening.

there i had the highest big, until exactly 00:00 when niljindil bid higher. that way she effectivly made sure i could not get the piece, since the auction ended that night.

now my question to you is;

was this lame of niljindil, or completly in order?

A

Aeiedil

imo it was totally in order if a bit underhand :p

L

lekkus

action ends at 00:00 so a bid done at 00:00 is a few seconds too late imo :)

S

spankya

Well it was an action to end at midnight, and she posted at midnight. if u had posted at midnight and she posted a minute or 2 late, u would have won it.

Well if u think its lame of her then go moan at her and not at me in game.

L

llixeraxu

Had the same thing on ultima when auctions were done like this..

What i did to combat this was if a bid was made in the last hour then the auction was extended by an hour... thus getting me (the seller) the best price and making it a fair auction.

B

BgZ

ebay for an item in game which is selling for money ingame? heh... Well it was an auction and the last bid wins, maybe its harsh, not very friendly, but a smart tactic ;)

N

-Nuked-

not lame. i do it all the time :p pointless making a bid 30mins b 4 an auction closes coz most of the time you will get someone who makes sure they get the last word. thats how i do it usually. saves disapointment

C

chrstffr

Originally posted by vintervargen
now my question to you is;

was this lame of niljindil, or completly in order?

lame imo if it were her intend to do so :eek7:

V

voth

Errrr.. one of you were gonna get the last bid regardless.. it might as well have been you that posted your last bid at 23.59.59 even though you didn't mean to bid at that time.

E

Ensceptifica

Originally posted by llixeraxu
Had the same thing on ultima when auctions were done like this..

What i did to combat this was if a bid was made in the last hour then the auction was extended by an hour... thus getting me (the seller) the best price and making it a fair auction.

Very good solution imho.

O

old.Niljindil

Clarification: Him, not her :p

Anyway, everyone else does it(check traders and crafters :sleeping: ), i wanted the item, so i used the(if somewhat lame) skill and tictacz. Get over it :eek:

A

Arnor

Originally posted by Gahldir
That's the problem with auctions.

Nope, thats the problem with BW auctions

same happened to me with a full MP studded set :\

N

Nemue

Most auctions tend to be like that, late bids tend to win, llixeraxus idea is the best one to combat it imo.

And it makes the auction fair for all parts in it, highest bidder wins, not the one with best timing.

A

Aussie-

auctions should end 5min after last bid or smth ^^

D

-Dreama-

So you're saying it was lame of him to place a bid, before the bidding ended? Oh, ok.

D

Driwen

uhm he said it was lame of her to wait till 0:00 to make the final bid knowing that vintervargen couldnt react on that offer and to increase your own bid all the time is weird :).
It is a good tactic and also against the idea off an auction :p. If everyone on bw would do that, it would most likely ruin every auction aswell :p. Think the solution off llixeraxu is a good one, but maybe you should ask people to be online in game at x hour and then start an in game auction :). Which would cancel out some people, but then the auction will preceed fair.

V

vintervargen

Originally posted by -Dreama-
So you're saying it was lame of him to place a bid, before the bidding ended? Oh, ok.

someone once wrote something like;

read, understand, post.

E

Exiled

ebay = auction ends at 00:00 someone bids it add's 5mins onto the time to give the previous bidder time to notice and re-bid etc

P

Pin

either do auction in a chatgroup ingame, or have an extended "going once, going twice" system if you must do it on BW.

F

Faeldawn

All is fair, its completely up to the seller.

If one person used a sly method to win the auction, then so be it.

Personally i believe all auctions should be done on IRC, real time is so much easier.

C

Cloak_

Again ill say same as what used to happen in UO

If last bid was withing 1 hour or end time,, then time extends by 1 hour..

Z

Ziva

If two ppl were bidding fanatic on an offer and i would be the seller of the item i would have invited them both ingame to auction for the item realtime or (if both would agree) randomize the item for a fair bid.

I think the bid was fair but a little lame since you can't expect people to be online at the same (also late) hour.

edit:
I just saw the topicstarter tried to make a bid at 0.00 aswell but was 3 mins late. Im sure this thread wasnt made if the topicstarter was on time and got the item. So please... don't be a hypocrite by accusing someone of beeing lame when you tried to be yourself aswell but failed your goal.

A

angrysquirrel

spankeee did no wrong, that much is agreed.

you were basically taught a lesson in how to be a bastard. not all peeps are like that, life isnt always like that either - but rest assured you have my sympathies.

the only possible resolution is to find out where he lives and thump him till his eyes bleed. (thats irl btw)

will i be good as an agony aunt or would i have bid at the last moment? thats a question ill ponder for some time i think.

V

vintervargen

Originally posted by Ziva
edit:
I just saw the topicstarter tried to make a bid at 0.00 aswell but was 3 mins late. Im sure this thread wasnt made if the topicstarter was on time and got the item. So please... don't be a hypocrite by accusing someone of beeing lame when you tried to be yourself aswell but failed your goal.

err, my bid was a reply to her 00:00 bid..

read, understand, post.

O

old.Niljindil

Originally posted by vintervargen
err, my bid was a reply to her 00:00 bid..

read, understand, post.

And youre saying you wouldnt do the exact same thing if i would have had the last bid? :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread