Question to spotify or not to spotify?

spot or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
as title, see poll.

my musical mates are all raving about the using of Spotify. Most of them use it as a bridge to discover new music, not in the last.fm radio way, but in yet another way. reveal your thoughts to me!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Free yes.. premium.. hmm, depends on how often you'll use it. You know you won't like the sound quality compared with cd's and lossless formats. You've spent stupid money on your hi-fi after all.

TdC

all true Chet :(

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Spotify's catalogue leaves a lot to be desired. Most of what I listen to isn't even on there. It's ok if you like commercial, mainstream stuff, but if you like anything less common or a bit underground you're pretty screwed.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Spotify's catalogue leaves a lot to be desired. Most of what I listen to isn't even on there. It's ok if you like commercial, mainstream stuff, but if you like anything less common or a bit underground you're pretty screwed.

So I won't be able to find my n-sync or spice girls? :(

Damn my progressive underground music tastes!

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
as title, see poll.

my musical mates are all raving about the using of Spotify. Most of them use it as a bridge to discover new music, not in the last.fm radio way, but in yet another way. reveal your thoughts to me!
Spotify is like a radio station where you choose the music. You get 1-2 adverts between some tracks at times, but that's how they keep the free version free.
If you download Spotify from their site without an invite, you get Spotify Open which is their time limited free version.
PM me and I'll give you an invite code to get Spotify Free which is the same thing but doesn't expire.

If you pony up £10 a month, you can get the Premium version which gets rid of the adverts and enables you to use the Spotify app on mobile. You can stream OTA, or sync up and cache your playlist in advance . Premium also has a higher bitrate for (allegedly) improved quality.

Jimmy

Resident Freddy
i use spotify free and its great but like has been said some music just isnt on there, now i have just brought a 360 and will be getting a shinny windows 7 phone i signed up to Zune which is great now had ny issues finding any music on there but it all depends on what you like.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
I used to pay for Spotify for the higher quality mp3s. I've since switched to Zune software as Zune lets me download the files onto my mp3 player (actually lets you have the files on 3 pcs AND 3 mobile devices).
Spotify is 320kbps .mp3 and Zune is 192kbps .wma
I listened to them both with my in-earphones on my laptop which is meant to have great music output and I couldn't hear any difference.
Zune is also £89.99 if you pay for a year upfront.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Aye Zune 12 month pass is a very good deal and the 192kbps encodes are pretty excellent, far better than I expected and it has gotten me thinking that 320kbps is total overkill now.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
My hard drive died a while a go and I lost most of my music collection and couldn't be bothered to download everything again so I've been using spotify. I can find about 80% of the stuff I'm looking for on there (I mostly listen to metal) and I have discovered quite a few cool bands through it. I can't really comment on the sound quality since I have cheap speakers which don't work properly and cheap headphones, and I probably wouldn't notice the difference anyway because lots of the stuff I listen to was poorly recorded in the first place.

Jimmy

Resident Freddy
Zune lets me download the files onto my mp3 player (actually lets you have the files on 3 pcs AND 3 mobile devices).

not had zune long but how did you get the mp3 to play on the mp3 player i havent figured that out yet :)

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Recently went through a 5 week or so period without the internet, I was the only one with music since the others i live with use Spotify :p

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
Jimmy - right click the album / song in Zune and "sync with device name"
megadave - they should have just bought a subscription for a month and downloaded the songs. I couldn't go without music for that long!

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Spotify is fine if you don't want to own your music. I've got premium on a 3 month free at the moment. However I find that it only gets used when don't want to buy an album, e.g. Duffy's new one. You'd probably get more out of the W in WTF if you're prepared to be norty. Other problems: Spotify is slow to get content, Cost (£120/4 = 25 digital albums in a year).

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Spotify is fine if you don't want to own your music. I've got premium on a 3 month free at the moment. However I find that it only gets used when don't want to buy an album, e.g. Duffy's new one. You'd probably get more out of the W in WTF if you're prepared to be norty. Other problems: Spotify is slow to get content, Cost (£120/4 = 25 digital albums in a year).

Helme

Resident Freddy
Does it still steal all your upload? It used to when I last tried it and there doesn't seem to be anyway to limit it outside your router(which I can't do because it's dumb as hell).

TdC

Second time I've heard of this tbh. By upload I presume you mean play your own from your hdd?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
No you actually upload music. No idea if it uploads to the public servers or to your private folders tho.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Used to use Spotify but having rediscovered Last.FM and its taken over now, especially since they brought out an Android app that works great with my Desire, also with it accessible on the 360, it all works great.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
currently pay £5 for spotify and i use it every day so i do get a lot out of it

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
hi there, ive been paying for spotify since the premium service came out, it suits me for tunes on the move on my desire and its good when your at friends houses for instant tunes for parties etc.

all in all a good service imho

ps

hi by the way, not posted for a while, been doing irl stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom