to respec or not to respec?

R

riv

that is the question!

i was going to post this on the other Runie topic, but meh.
--

At the moment I'm approching level 40, at which, correct me if i'm mistaken, i should get a respec?

I'm Full RuneCarving with Suppression as my second line at the moment.

PvM
-----

In PvM i've found Runecarving to be good for both soloing (where it really shines) and in groups (even though people often refer to RC specced runies as being not group friendly).

Soloing: 2 bolts, a root, and 2 bolts can bring down oranges. 2 bolts and a few Direct Damage spells (Stamp etc of Destruction) will bring down a variety of yellows, though it often depends on what exactly I'm fighting. For example, Quasits in Darkness Falls con yellow to me, and I can often 2 bolt these. Black Orms also conn yellow, but these can often require 2 bolts, a root, 2 bolts, and a number of Direct Damage spells- highly mana and time inefficent!

The main downpoint is that bolts can miss or be blocked.. but that aside, thumbs up for soloing, when hunting the right prey!

Grouping: The speed buff is always appreciated if a skald is absent from the group; Even if one is present, a backup is never a bad thing! The runecarving line offers a heat debuff, a cold debuff and a matter debuff- which can make other members of the group a lot more effective, helping bring down the target faster. The area effect spell (Odin's rage, vengence etc) can be very useful if things start to go pair shaped, i.e. uncontrollable adds; instead of concentrating on one mob and helping out one struggling tank, you can help everyone out a bit, giving the group (hopefully) a fighting chance to avoid a wipeout.

Maxing RC means no pulsing blade turn for a while, but it does give you the Runic Fend spell, which ok is mana inefficient, but before a round of fighting, putting it on the healers/shammies in the absence of PBT can make all the difference.

Damage wise.. well bolts are pretty much ruled out in a group (unless you end up pulling.. but I generally refuse to pull with bolts, as by the time the aggro is off me, I'm almost dead). That means I'm limited to using my Direct Damage spells (Stamp, Note etc). The damage off of these isn't bad at all, though the casting time is greater than that off Darkness spells. The damage output totally validates the presence of an RC runie in a group, and comblined with the baseline root, and even the low end suppression spells.. an RC runie fits nicely into a group.

PvP
-----

I'm still not sure about the role of an RC runie in RvR. In mass battles generally all I have done is used the Area of Effect Nuke, as the chaos pretty much rules out sniping with bolts.

The casting time on bolts sucks.. 8 seconds flat time to get off 2 bolts at a target. In my experience, noone hangs around that long; and if its a caster, then its generally a 'nearsight stand off'- but against these bolt range mezzers, there's really no chance.

Since most of the time people are engaged in hand to hand, I can't use bolts anyway, so I end up using Direct Damage spells.

I haven't had a great deal of PvP experience, but thats where I'm going to end up.

---

I still can't decide whether or not to respec to Full Darkness or go for Full RC. I have no intention of going full Supp, and I'm not that concerned about PBT- I'm more concerned with being able to kill people than protecting other group members, as selfish as that sounds :)

T

trigali

You seem to be enjoying playing your character as it is. Why would you want to respec if you are ?

At the end of the day, this is about having fun, isn't it ?

B

Biby

Situation: u are lvl 50 and yelling in PK : lvl 50 runni LFG !!!

Groupmember1: Runni is LFG
Groupmember2: Hes not supp
Groupmember1: Ahh, ok, we need bubble to balansse this grp .

up to you .......

T

trigali

The short-sightedness of some people should not prevent someone to play the game the way he pleases.

Groupmember 1: Runnie is LFG
Groupmember 2: This guy can nuke a tank down in 3 bolts !
Groupmember 1: /invite Runnie

B

Biby

Originally posted by trigali
Groupmember 1: Runnie is LFG
Groupmember 2: This guy can nuke a tank down in 3 bolts !
Groupmember 1: /invite Runnie

One guildm8 was thinking same - now hes begging for respec stone. No point to make solo char, Daoc is team game imo.

O

Old Nicodemus

And who else is going to clear battlements, doors and Milegates of PB spammers, gate campers and castle defenders for you?

One big problem for Midgard atm is the lack of GTAoE to help clear people away. You look at Albs and Hibs.. when it comes to clearing a path so that tanks can do their job their GTAoE peeps can effectively clear an area of resistance.

People are so obsessed with leet groups that they can't see the wood for the trees. So instead of helping peeps with needed abilities you just wait until you are Owned at some certain point and then whine, cry foul or cry nerf... when all you needed was a person with this ability.

Do what you want Riv.. there are peeps out here who will happily take you on board.

R

Roo Stercogburn

Gifv GTAE lifetap!

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA(TM)

F

-foadon-

simple, wanna have runecarving, wanna have bolts, wanna have gtae, k np
go darkcarver :)
with the adding of new dd of darkness its gonna be nurf darkcarvers :)
(for teh non-knowing darkcarver is RC+dark, use debuff then baseline nuke)

Z

Zebolt

hmm...

Originally posted by Biby
One guildm8 was thinking same - now hes begging for respec stone. No point to make solo char, Daoc is team game imo.

Im full dark and I never have trouble finding a group... Why is that? :)

B

Biby

Re: hmm...

Originally posted by Zebolt
Im full dark and I never have trouble finding a group... Why is that? :)

Coz people dont bother self with groupbalancing
Like some alb sayd ( dont remember who ), its easy in hibb, hard in alb and almoust impossible in midd make balanssed grp <-- so, whay to bother :)

B

Blood

in next patch RC runies will get boosted, bolts will do more damage, i'd recommend you stay with RC, also because of the gtaoe :)

A

AzuratMinimus

Well gtaoe don´t do much damage and most sup runies got it anyway. Yeah just the lvl 19 version, but it interupts as well as the highlvl ones due to the games interupt code which means if someone fumbles a weapon attack on otherside on emain you get interupted almost :p

M

Makwaerk

go Darkcarver m8 you get the RC line and you get some porber nukes

S

svartalf

I think 47Dark/26Supp is the best all-round runey, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom