This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tintin

Discussion in 'The Front Room' started by xane, Jan 7, 2004.

1. xane

xane Fledgling Freddie

Not sure if this was ever mentioned in the GAME.NET forums, but I know there are a few other Tintin fans out there.

There is a Tintin DVD box set that was released back in November containing all 21 animated stories on five disks. Problem was it has taken me this long to discover it was exclusive to HMV, therefore you can only order it from their site, and at £30 its a good deal.

2. Munkey

Munkey Can't get enough of FH

Never liked the animated stories. Always felt that Tintin had the wrong voice for the character, well....from the voice i had imagined in my head. All the other voices were perfect, especially the captain guy. Havent seen it in yeaaaaars, though i still remember the theme tune and the video that went along with it of the train on the bridge and the like.

Loved the books though, still do. Tintin and Asterix are my childhood faves. 30 quid doesnt seem to bad, anyone know what HMV are like for international shipping?

3. Damini

Damini Part of the furniture

If anyone likes the books I've got quite a few copies of the seventies graphic novels (if you'd call them that) that I want to get rid of. That and asterix too.

4. dysfunction

dysfunction FH is my second home FH Subscriber

Can you give me a list of what you have? Please? :)

5. Damini

Right, if you want the dates and stuff then you'll have to ask, because I'm far too lazy to do that automatically:

The Adventures of Tintin:

The Red Sea Sharks
    King Ottokar's Sceptre
    Red Rackham's Treasure
    Land of Black Gold
    The Secret of the Unicorn
    Flight 714
    Tintin and the Picaros
    Explorers on the Moon
    The Crab with the Golden Claws
    Tintin in Tibet

Asterix:

Obelix and Co
    And the Normans
    The Gaul
    The legionary
    at the Olympic games
    And Cleopatra
    and the big fight
    and the great divide
    and the banquet
    The twelve tasks of asterix

There ya go!

6. Doh_boy

Doh_boy Part of the furniture

I'm not sure if I've asked before but damini, do you have an vids of the famous five series of the late 70s? Just thought I'd ask since it's something I'd imagine you'd have. when I say "have" I mean "have and want to sell?" cheers. :D

7. Munkey

Munkey Can't get enough of FH

Explorers on the Moon <-- is that all the books in that series? because iirc it was split into two or three books......if its the one i'm thinking of then thats the one when they land on the moon

8. Damini

I've had them in the past - there was a seventies series and a nineties series. There was a bit of a bidding frenzy when I sold mine, but it looks like all the people that really wanted the series have got it now, because they're selling quite cheap on ebay. If I see one around though, I'll pick it up for you. People at carboots seem to think old videos are worth less than new ones :)

And Munkey, it's the one where they land on the moon. There's another book in the series called Destination Moon though, which is the book before. But I don't have that one.

9. xane

xane Fledgling Freddie

On the subject of Asterix, I have a copy of the first book signed by Uderzo :)

10. Damini

That's got to be worth quite a bit? Is it all anti dust sleeved, out of direct sunlight, or is it a well loved thing?

11. Doh_boy

Doh_boy Part of the furniture

Thanks a lot! :D

12. Damini

Not at all :) And if anyone does want to Tintin/Asterix, they can have them. Just as long as I get enough to cover postage, I'm quite happy to give them away. I've realised having a small house and being a compulsive hoarder don't mix too well.

13. stormrider

stormrider Fledgling Freddie

Aw I loved Tintin - had the whole collection and they are VERY dog earred.
    Didnt like the animated series when I saw the first episodes, though did see Tintin in Tibet recently and thought it was reasonably done except they played down Captain Haddocks drinking.

14. xane

xane Fledgling Freddie

I met Uderzo at a signing session for Asterix and the Magic Carpet, I bought a hardback copy of Asterix The Gaul and got him to sign that as well, its in pristine condition.

15. xane

xane Fledgling Freddie

This is in all the Tintin animations, particularly missing in Haddock's debut in The Crab With The Golden Claws, where his inebriation causes a number of scrapes, even my 6yo son missed it !

There are many examples of political correction throughout, i.e. in Red Sea Sharks, the pilgrims on the Romana are not called slaves and there is no reference to slave trafficking nor is there the meeting with the slave trader (where Haddock famously expels him with his classic barrage of insults).

Also in Red Sea Sharks, when Tintin and Haddock rescue Skut from the water after downing his plane they exclaim as if they know him from before (he reappears in Flight 714), but in the books it is clear this is the first time they meet.