TimeLine

S

sad_mung

I was quite looking forward to this Michael Crichton adaptation.
I've heard one review slating it and thought "Well that's his opinion".
Then I saw who was in it....Billy Connely and Anna Friel.
Connely plays a frenchie.......how bad will his accent be?

The book was ok as far as Sci-Fi goes.....films of the book are never as good, but entertaining non-the-less. I think I'll go see it.

L

leggy

The funny thing about this film is that the original book was dire. Shit science and overall poor idea.

Why anyone ever thought of making this a film is beyond me. This one is going after legally blonde 2 on my "must see" list.

E

ECA

They made a film from Sphere, they've already scraped the barrel, and now they've scraping out the tramp piss and using that as well.

W

WPKenny

Johnathan Ross slated it. Not that I value his opinion on film overtly but he did slag it off in quite a funny way.

I don't think I'll be seeing it as instead of jumping about in different timelines ala Sliders they've stuck themselves in the middle ages. Boring.

S

sad_mung

WPKenny...Wassamata?
You look everso blue. (on your webcam)

D

dysfunction

Originally posted by WPKenny
Johnathan Ross slated it. Not that I value his opinion on film overtly but he did slag it off in quite a funny way.

I don't think I'll be seeing it as instead of jumping about in different timelines ala Sliders they've stuck themselves in the middle ages. Boring.

Yes I also saw his review of this and has put me right off seeing this film.

I generally have a similar view to films as he does...

T

Tom

Mark Kermode is an excellent film critic, and I often go by what he says.

S

sad_mung

Originally posted by Tom

Kermode? Sounds like Camode. And we know what they're full of!

D

dysfunction

Originally posted by Tom

What does he say about this film then?

T

Tom

I haven't heard what he has to say, he does a spot on R5 with Simon Mayo, I think on Wednesdays? I can't remember exactly. What I do know, is that every film he has commented has been more or less justified (IMO).

He certainly knows his stuff, he seems to have a mind like Tarantino when it comes to remembering films.

C

.Cask

When I read the book it was pretty clear that Michael Crichton had written it for the screen. The whole format of the book and character interaction followed the same formula of the average hollywood movie. Might go and see it just to know how it turns out. Maybe after I go and see matrix revolutions which I haven't got around to yet.

X

xane

I wish Barry Normal still did film reviews, I used to always like exactly the opposite what he did.

W

whipped

I'll be watching it tonight. So I shall inflict my views on you all tomorrow. Although I must warn you I quite enjoyed Sphere :D

E

ECA

Originally posted by whipped
I'll be watching it tonight. So I shall inflict my views on you all tomorrow. Although I must warn you I quite enjoyed Sphere :D

:rolleyes:

M

~Mobius~

Anna Friel, Brookside lesbian kiss, nuff said!

T

Tom

Sometimes films can be just entertaining. Nothing wrong with that, they don't all have to blow our socks off.

L

leggy

Originally posted by Tom
Sometimes films can be just entertaining. Nothing wrong with that, they don't all have to blow our socks off.

Totally agree.

I rented old school the other day and enjoyed it immensly.

S

sad_mung

Ta.
I'm not a great aficionado of crappers, hence the poor spelling.

C

caLLous

Originally posted by sad_mung
Connely plays a frenchie.......how bad will his accent be?
I think you'll find he actually plays a Scotsman.

Originally posted by .Cask
When I read the book it was pretty clear that Michael Crichton had written it for the screen. The whole format of the book and character interaction followed the same formula of the average hollywood movie.
Please tell about this "formula" and how the book follows it?? If it followed the letter so closely, why was the storyline so altered?

Chris wasn't the Professor's son in the book... why add this meaningless fact in the film? There was more interaction between the 2 in the book than there is in the film. Chris was the protege, not the son. The only real father-son dialogue between them took place when Chris was doing his father's ironing. Any other part of the film, you wouldn't have even known they were related.

The book told a story where they had 37 hours to get the Professor out and get back to a spot where they could return to the present, why only 6 in the film? Also, I'd've liked to've seen some more screentime for the machine itself. It broke when matey came back with a grenade and in the book they spent about a day fixing it. The film, however, portrays them getting it back to 81% by sitting inside it and playing around with a trinket no larger than a microwave for about 2-3 hours. :\

The book wasn't flawed at all in my opinion. It's certainly not one of his best but it was entertaining enough to keep me turning the pages.

When was the last time anyone saw proper jousting in a film? Why cut it out? It wasn't like they hadn't introduced all of the characters that were involved. It showed another side of Chris that helped the reader to understand how his head worked.

I get so annoyed when a decent book gets Hollywoodified and dumbed down to suit the mass market.

And those aren't even all my gripes with the film.

The book was good, the film was average.

/rant

W

WPKenny

I read the book of Jurrasic Park and it was pretty damn good. I quite enjoyed the film too even if they did have the whole "I'm not a nerd. We prefer to be called Hackers" and the 3-D map of the facility and all of the sudden the girl's like "OH IT'S UNIX!".

But apart from that it was good.

X

xane

Up till today I was completely unaware of Crichton's track record apart from Jurassic Park:

Coma, The Andromeda Strain, Disclosure, Runaway, Congo, Twister, Westworld and the E.R. TV Series.

C

caLLous

His new(ish) book Prey is pretty good as well, the amount of research he does for his books is amazing.

W

WPKenny

Originally posted by caLLous
His new(ish) book Prey is pretty good as well, the amount of research he does for his books is amazing.

I took Prey on holiday with me and felt I had to finish it cos I'd started it and liked JP so much. Unfortunately Prey just turned out to be really dull.
You're right that he puts a load of science-fact into his books and that's to his credit.

D

Damini

I read the Andromada Strain, and it was so chewy with science nuggets that I'd just skip whole pages so I could get back to actual story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom