Time Zones

Marty

Fledgling Freddie
Just a polite request that people take into account the current times across europe, taking into account daylight saving hours, when posting times for raids.

For Example

12pm GMT = 1pm BST = 2pm CET

Thanks for reading

Marty

Meric

Loyal Freddie
Marty said:
12pm GMT = 1pm BST = 2pm CET

CET is only one hour ahead of GMT. CEST is the daylight saving time zone.

12pm GMT = 1pm BST = 2pm CEST (during the summer)

12pm GMT = 1pm CET (during the winter)

Eruv

Fledgling Freddie
To save confusion, in your time posts, just say either (UK time) or CET, that will make lives easier for everything.

Good post marty!!

judas

One of Freddy's beloved
remove timezones and force the janks to sleep at day and be awake on the nights. easyer for everyone.

Matteh

Fledgling Freddie
judas said:
remove timezones and force the janks to sleep at day and be awake on the nights. easyer for everyone.
sorry they decided to ignore your advice and increase daylight saving time

no really.

Eruv

Fledgling Freddie
Arelas said:
I allways say 2pm cet= 1pm GMT :)
And you'd be wrong with the time then Arelas, atleast during British Summer Time

Marty

Fledgling Freddie
Arelas said:
I allways say 2pm cet= 1pm GMT :)

This was the main reason behind my post, as too often i see posts saying that something is happening at x oclock GMT when what they mean is BST. People miss raids (such as ML's) that they could have been waiting months for due to what is a simple error.

Marty

Sollac

Fledgling Freddie
WHo cares....

atm BST = GMT.........

its 2pm now in uk = 2pm BST = 2pm GMT = 3pm CET.

thererfore if all use GMT as that is thecurrent time factor for UK based Time, then if you state a raid we all know its UK time oe European time.

Live in the UK for the last 35 years ...ALL time is GMT as far as im concerned, just twice a year we either go forward or backward but then so do CET.

as if we didn't bst= 1pm , cet = 2pm, gmt = 12pm....bollox

there is only ever 1 hour difference between gmt/cet...

just during the summer gmt is called bst for some strange reason....

i dont know why and im english and we invented the damn thing, COS WE ARE THE CENTRE OF THE UNIVERSE.... :twak:

Marty

Fledgling Freddie
No offence Sollac but you are incorrect - GMT is called GMT all year round and BST is different. This only adds to the validity of my original points and this is why people posting raids need to be specific. If people were to say UK time it would avoid confusion. And for your info Sollac BST is not equal to GMT at the moment .... BST=GMT+1

For your reference and for anyone else check the link below for current UTC/GMT time

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_UTC.aspx

And if we select UK time

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_GB.aspx

Holy timezones!! GMT and UK time are not the same.

Marty

Sollac

Fledgling Freddie
SO IF IM IN GREENWICH AT 1PM AT THE CLOCK WITH gmt ON IT WHAT TIME IS IT bst?

ERM 1PM BY THE CLOCK IM LOOKING AT ON THE OBSERVATORY, ON THE MERIDIAN !!

SO THAT MAKES U WRONG!!!! DOES IT NOT?

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
sollac, less of the shouting.

It's currently 17:02 BST, it's 16:02 GMT. GMT is the timezone, BST is the artificially changed timezone imposed by the government so farmers don't have to get up in the middle of the night, or so they can work longer hours or something like that. I'm sure someone will know the history.

Most people in britain have their clocks set to BST.

However people still refer to it (incorrectly) as GMT, as you are above. This causes confusion for people who live in (for example) Dubai who are running on "GMT+5" and therefore turn up to raids which are announced as 7pm GMT (meaning 7pm BST or 6pm GMT) an hour late.

Summer time is different across the world - not all timezones shift forward an hour and not all at the same time.

CET is not often used by anyone outside its timezone (it's rarely used as a reference) and therefore the fact that CEST is still referred to as CET doesn't actually matter and rarely causes confusion.

So to make things simple for people who just don't get BST...

Say "UK time" and "CET" for your raids, then if you are (say) GMT+5 you know it's actually 4 hours onto the time and not 5 and you don't have 3 pages of bickering over whether you meant GMT or BST in your raid thread.

It's really not that hard...

Marty

Fledgling Freddie
Sollac, when we in the Uk put the clocks forward by an hour at the beginning of summer we are then running on GMT + the hour we have just added to our clocks. GMT in itself does not change however BST comes into effect and we are running ahead of GMT by a full hour.

And in answer to your question, if you were looking at the clock at the time of your post then the clock was approximately 3 hours and 41 minutes behind, Id get someone to look at that if i was you.

Sollac

Fledgling Freddie
sorry for the shouting was unintentional.

ok if bst = gmt +1
and cet = bst +1

then infact the Grenwich meridian on which all time zones are based on dictates that time zones to the right are + and those to the left are -

so Based on this knowledge and not some stupid byelaw government can't be arsed to get rid off..

French/Central Europe will always be 1 hour ahead of the time at the meridian

So infact using the red tape bureacacy that ties up so much crap, you are wrong, As All time is changing to either 1 hour onward or behind.

I know for a fact that the french do put there clocks forward and back again in winter...Not at the same time as us english .....but you would expect that, cos they are french.

However with that in mind, there will be times when the french(cet) and English times (GMT/BST) are gonna be the same for a few days ..... so how do you explain that one.

Personally i think you should go by the time of the organiser.

If you are late tuff, if you are early ... well at least you get a spot.

Sollac

Fledgling Freddie
Daylight Saving Time or SUMMER TIME
EU - European Union - Clock Changes

This applies to most states in Europe even those not in the European Economic Union (EU).

NB In the United Kingdom it is referred to as British Summer Time (BST)
Summer Time Rule

Start: Last Sunday in March

End: Last Sunday in October

Time: 1.00 am (01:00) Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)

Since 1996 all clocks in Europe have changed on same date.
Year DST Begins 1 am GMT DST Ends 1 am GMT

2005 March 27 October 30

2006 March 26 October 29

2007 March 25 October 28

Flimgoblin said:
Summer time is different across the world - not all timezones shift forward an hour and not all at the same time.

Hmmm not what the greenwich observatory site says.

pbaz

Fledgling Freddie
YES! You are so right!

Because UK + EU = The World!

:rolleyes:

French/Central Europe will always be 1 hour ahead of the time at the meridian

No one disputes this fact.

They dispute the fact (which you seem utterly, utterly unable to get into your head) that GMT = BST. You claim that the two are the same thing. You are, simply, wrong.

Can't believe you've lived in the UK for 35 years and still don't actually know how to tell the time. Go, go UK education system! :(

Feyd

Fledgling Freddie
Amazing how much confusion all this makes to some ppl.

For those that dont believe that bst=gmt+1, then try to scroll ALL the way down at the bottom of the FH pages.
It say "All times are GMT. The time now is 07:21 PM"
And my clock show 09:21 PM (and i live in Denmark, aka cet region)
And i know that UK is 1 hour behind my time - that would make UK 08:21 PM, right?
But how can that be if UK time = GMT?

I hope this little demonstration helped some ppl in understanding that in the summer GMT is NOT uk time.

Sollac

Fledgling Freddie
pbaz said:
They dispute the fact (which you seem utterly, utterly unable to get into your head) that GMT = BST. You claim that the two are the same thing. You are, simply, wrong.

I know i am, have known it for the last 35 years.... quiet funny how people have just got to tell everyone how they are wrong.......even if the believe they are right.......... bit like religion..........

Im right cos i believe im right, not just cos you tell me im right......sums up religion to me....

Guys perhaps if you didnt reply to the thread you wouldn't have to get stressed at anyone for beleiving what they think is right is wrong.....

And we ask ourselves....why is the world so fucked up......now you know why... blame yourselves....

experiment over.....thanks for proving me right.

pbaz

Fledgling Freddie
Sollac said:
quiet funny how people have just got to tell everyone how they are wrong.......even if the believe they are right..........

You are allowed to believe whatever you like. I am entirely in favour of freedom of thought. However, if you publicly state your belief (as you did, when you said that BST = GMT) you have to be prepared to defend that belief from challenge. And if you can't defend it from challenge, you have to change what you believe to be true. Otherwise you're just lying to yourself.

And we ask ourselves....why is the world so fucked up......now you know why... blame yourselves....

experiment over.....thanks for proving me right.

rofl.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom