Time Travel ?

• Thread starter old.Devilfish2k2
  • Start date
P

PR.

Originally posted by SomeGuy
Agreed. Just a story. And not a well-written one at that. :/

Why, because of spelling mistakes?

Personally I don't know how anyone can dismiss Timetravel as impossible. Humans, scientifically speaking have come on a long way in the last 150 years but we still know very little of how the universe 'works' :)

S

Summo

I agree with that, I just don't believe the poorly conceived story in that link.

O

old.Explosive23

Originally posted by PR
Humans, scientifically speaking have come on a long way in the last 150 years but we still know very little of how the universe 'works' :)

It doesn't 'work'.. Summo broke it :(.

O

old.PCG79

H80.JPG

:D

D

Durzel

Originally posted by PR
Personally I don't know how anyone can dismiss Timetravel as impossible. Humans, scientifically speaking have come on a long way in the last 150 years but we still know very little of how the universe 'works' :)
It is impossible.

As already stated, if it were possible to travel back in time then by definition any chaotic event could be "undone". When something explodes, it never explodes in the same way twice. Whilst the magnitude and damage can be roughly controlled by using the same amounts of explosive - no two explosions are the same. Microscopic changes in atmospheric pressure, air density, impurities in the explosive matter, etc could cause an explosion to do more or less damage. The notion that you can travel back in time implies that events such as these can be rewound and thus the damage they produce exactly quantified and predicted - when clearly this isn't possible.

What does this mean? Well, if you cant undo the exact amount of damage a chaotic event like an explosion makes, any "past" you travel to would never be an exact reproduction of past events. An explosion is just an example, just as a raindrop never travels down a window in the same way twice (tiny differences in wind speed, incongruity in the glass, mass of droplet, etc) it follows that no chaotic event can be reversed in the same manner it occured.

C

*charlton_thd*

DOC DOC.................i'm back.............................from the future!

*faints*

M

Munkey-

the site starts well. then fucks up its credability at the end with "we met him at new york...blah blah"

S

Scooba Da Bass

Originally posted by Durzel
It is impossible.

As already stated, if it were possible to travel back in time then by definition any chaotic event could be "undone". When something explodes, it never explodes in the same way twice. Whilst the magnitude and damage can be roughly controlled by using the same amounts of explosive - no two explosions are the same. Microscopic changes in atmospheric pressure, air density, impurities in the explosive matter, etc could cause an explosion to do more or less damage. The notion that you can travel back in time implies that events such as these can be rewound and thus the damage they produce exactly quantified and predicted - when clearly this isn't possible.

What does this mean? Well, if you cant undo the exact amount of damage a chaotic event like an explosion makes, any "past" you travel to would never be an exact reproduction of past events. An explosion is just an example, just as a raindrop never travels down a window in the same way twice (tiny differences in wind speed, incongruity in the glass, mass of droplet, etc) it follows that no chaotic event can be reversed in the same manner it occured.

Chaos Theory is just that, a theory, trying to claim that time Travel is impossible, full stop, just because of what we know now is akin to Scientists in the dark ages saying that the Earth is flat, full stop. Science is always just the sum of what we currently believe and hold to be true.

S

Summo

Originally posted by Durzel
It is impossible.

Durzel, you seem so wrapped up in this no-two-explosions-are-alike approach that you seem oblivious to the idea that we're only ever talking about one explosion. It doesn't matter that no two explosions are alike, we're viewing one explosion which remains constant, we just view it from different points in time.

Not undoing anything.

I'm still in two minds about all this but I just wanted to get this sorted so we could move on.

X

Xtro

Originally posted by Wazzerphuk
Yes, but...

If someone came from the "future", and claimed to be - they'd be laughed at and locked up.

Have you seen David Icke's website? http://www.davidicke.com/

What a fucking prize loony he is. Check out some of the books he's done...reptiles rule the world apparently.

Ho-hum :D

T

Testin da Cable

These "gods" could not take over the planet openly because there are not enough of them, so they are doing it covertly by appearing human. Movies like They Live, The Arrival (the first, not the sequel), and the US television series, V, tell the story of what is REALLY going on. I urge you to think about watching these movies to get up to speed if you are new to all of this.

hmmmm, sounds like grade A nutter to me

X

Xtro

lol tdc - so according to David Icke we better go watch V and the part where she eats a guinea pig to understand how Bush thinks...? :)

BTW if you didnt know tdc - David Icke used to be a good goalkeeper and played top flight football in the UK - then he became a sports tv presenter and was an ok guy...until he suddenly decided to wear purple tracksuits and accuse us all of being part of the REAL matrix lol :)

T

Testin da Cable

I know about the football Xtro matey, that is to say that I just read about it on DI's webby. Shame that he got that rheumatoid condition and was forced to stop the pro-fitba, 'specially if he was good at it like you say.

S

Sawtooth

I think Someguys confusing the issue with chaos theory.
You do realise that by mearly observing an event we can affect the outcome. But what has this got to do with time travel other than ethical repercusions?

In all probability traveling backwards in time would influence past events and change the future. We wouldn't notice it of course because those changes would be our new history. Depends on the point of view of the observer.

The problem really is one of how this can be achieved. Obviously extreme speed or closeness to massive gravitational event horizons could slow down localised time relative to those outside the sphere of influence (Peter Ustinov once did a bit on the telly on this so tv is educational afterall). But thats an outcome of relativity. To push it in the opposite direction entirely is a different matter. We certainly dont have the technology at the moment to protect ourselves from the forces neccesary to attain a slow down never mind a reversal nor the energy requirements.

Personally why go backwards, I'm much more interested to see the end rather than the begining (who reads the begining of books anyway)

See ya at Milliways

D

Durzel

Originally posted by SomeGuy
Not undoing anything.
If you're not undoing events exactly, how can the past you travel back to bear any resemblance to what you'd expect it to be? I used the explosion analogy as an example of why travelling back in time would (in my opinion) be impossible because of the inherent unpredictability of many chaotic events. If you went back in time before the 11/9 tragedy and the towers weren't there, wouldn't that be a completely different rendition of the past? If they were there how would they have got there unless the events that unfolded were somehow reversed?

In all probability traveling backwards in time would influence past events and change the future. We wouldn't notice it of course because those changes would be our new history. Depends on the point of view of the observer.
And therein is the kicker.

Assuming for a moment (and dispensing with the hypothetical aspect of it) that it were possible to travel in time - if you were to go back in time, what's to say you didn't do something seemingly innocuous which somehow meant you wouldn't have been in a position to have gone back in time in the first place? One school of thought would be that you would simply "exist" in the past and would eventually forge a new future.

Even if it were possible, I don't imagine it would be something that could realistically be undertaken. There is a great many unanswered questions that no science can answer. If someone went back in time and killed a person, would that person cease to exist in the present? Would they simply vanish? If not, is the suggestion that everyone and everything exists within an infinitely diverse series of time "strands" ?

Food for thought, perhaps.

P

PR.

But Durz if you went back to September 11th 2001 @ 7:30am and rang the new york police and claimed that people were boarding flights with knives to take over planes, etc etc etc....

The authorities arrest said people, that would mean September 11th tragedy would never happen at that point. 3000 people wouldn't die and the future would be changed, but thats not to say that Osama is angry that they were stopped and does something else...

The point is that when you go back in time its not a re-creation of the event it is the event

My belief is that if you travelled to the past and killed your mother before you were born you would continue to exist until you returned to what was your present time then you would cease to exist and anything you did in your life never happened

This is all very interesting :)

F

Furr

The awnser lies in M - THEORY

anyway to reach the speed of light means that your mass would be infinitly large thus you would need an infite amount of energy to continue at that speed, unfortunatly that is impossible to achieve

S

Sawtooth

I think Im reaching maximum mass now. Need to go on a diet or Ill start regurgitating my food...hmmm regurgitated food..no chewing yum.

T

Testin da Cable

coolestcomicevar.jpg

imo one can not go back in time and change things about. why? because your 'present' timeframe already is. the present can't be changed by manipulating events in the past, because it will happen. it's the present, and it's there for all to see.

-tdc's theorem of temporal inevitability v 1.0

Users who are viewing this thread