Time to ditch Nildram!

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Trem said:
Yes, Dys used the alternative Trem helpline service to fix this problem. I am now owed free accountancy advice for life off Dys....which is nice.

And there I was saying it was me that solved the problem...

Yes the advice is certainly free but you get to deal with the fallout if (read when) things go wrong...

Sar

Part of the furniture
Trem said:
Yes, Dys used the alternative Trem helpline service to fix this problem. I am now owed free accountancy advice for life off Dys....which is nice.

I have just signed up for Plus Net for my home connection, Bulldog can kiss my ring, useless fucktards. 30:1 contention is teh sex and I am hoping their webspace is better than UK Onlines...which is turd and barely works.

I've just switched to Plus.net too, mainly because of this thread.

£30 a month with BT Yahoo for (what is atm) 1mb broadband is a joke, especially with st00pid 30gb d/l limits, esp when the line gets upped to 2mb.

Also the webspace options are luvverly, and include cgi & MySql for nowt :D

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Trem/Dys/Anyone on UKOnline:

Are you using the actiontec wireless dsl gateway they were giving away free? If so, do you have problems downloading large files? I can't download anything big without it giving up after about 30mbs - just freezes :S

I've tried using my old nix box to connect up and that doesn't have the problem but I only get 350k out of the crappy old winmodem in there - I get 700-1000k out of the actiontec jobby. Any help appreciated :)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
nath said:

Are you using the actiontec wireless dsl gateway they were giving away free? If so, do you have problems downloading large files? I can't download anything big without it giving up after about 30mbs - just freezes :S

I've tried using my old nix box to connect up and that doesn't have the problem but I only get 350k out of the crappy old winmodem in there - I get 700-1000k out of the actiontec jobby. Any help appreciated :)

I use the actiontec dsl gateway but I dont use the wireless bit.
And it works very well that way.

Have you tried it without wireless?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I'm not using the wireless bit at all - sorry should have made that clear. When I said the actiontec wireless dsl gateway I just meant that's the name of the device.

What speed are you synced at to the exchange? Just to insult your intelligence it's under Status then WAN Status on the modem webpage :) I've managed to get synced at 8000/512, fat lot of good it's doing :\

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
nath said:

I get the feeling the Actiontec router is a bit shite tbh luv.

Infact wireless is useless at work, so bad I use a normal network cable for my pc behind the counter.

I have a Netgear wireless router at home and it is truly the dogs bollocks compared to the Actiontec one.

Maybe splash out on a Netgear Nath, you won't be disappointed.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
From the hundreds of posts online talking about how crap it is I'm starting to get that impression. However I think this one is actually faulty and I'd hate to spend money on a new one only to find out it doesn't fix anything.

I tried my USB dsl modem and it doesn't have the same problem but it only downloads at ~450k/s so I don't know if that's conclusive proof that it's buggered. When my mate is back on monday I'll skank his actiontec and try it out. :m00:

Yussef

Fledgling Freddie
I use the supplied router, I used to have a problem with downloads but it seemed to be due to the routing at Brick Lane or something. Dynamic IP's were being routed via Brick Lane, so the solution was to get a static IP. All downloads are fine now though.

(I doubt this helps at all :>)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Funny you should say that - a couple of people at ADSLGuide.org.uk forums said the same - I'm on the phone trying to find out if they can sort me out with a static IP right now :)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
nath said:
What speed are you synced at to the exchange? Just to insult your intelligence it's under Status then WAN Status on the modem webpage :) I've managed to get synced at 8000/512, fat lot of good it's doing :\

Thats ok I'm used to you insulting my intelli....
I'm synced at 6016/512 Kbps cos I'm quite far from the exchange.

I have not been able to test my max download speed. I think I get around the 450 mark...which is probly crap for a 6mb I dont know.

Ive been seriously thinking of getting a different router.

I put my actiontec on top of my PC box and I found I had connection problems after a while. I think it was down to the router overheating!! :touch:

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I hate to say it since you're not even at 8mbit but connection problems could suggest that you're synced too high and need to get knocked down for a more stable connection :\

Anyhoo - static IP worked :D

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Ha! I dont have unstable connection now that I have placed the router on little pedastals to get air to it...

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Aw, the poor thing just wanted to be noticed :\

edit: I better do the same incase my modem turns out to be a bit precious.

gremlin

One of Freddy's beloved
Just ditched Nildram for Plusnet thanks to this thread. Cheers guys, knew you lot were good for something :p

Sar

Part of the furniture
gremlin said:
Just ditched Nildram for Plusnet thanks to this thread. Cheers guys, knew you lot were good for something :p

Yep, I'm finding Plus.net fairly good so far. Still waiting to see if my line can be re-graded though :)

Trem

Will tell you about 3.20 when I get home chum.

On a similar subject can I advise that no one USES THE ABSOLUTE DOG SHIT THAT IS BULLDOG, THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE KNOWN TO MAN, WORSE SERVICE THAN A WOMAN AT THE TALIBAN HEADQUARTERS!!!!

:eek:

Thats better.

Trem

Right Nathington, its a Netgear DG834GUK and I got it from Dabs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom