three guesses

• Thread starter Testin da Cable
  • Start date
E

Embattle

Originally posted by Stu-
ps: just in case YOU find it hard to read, DDR RAM gives a TINY advantage over SDRAM. Check Anandtech, for example. So don't patronise me when you don't know what you're on about.

Nor do you twat. Did I say it did...i was just correcting your mistake but never mind peon.

S

stu

what a wonderfully reasoned argument, and childish insults too. In other words, you don't have anything else to add after everything you've said has been proven wrong. Yes, it is indeed "The End", and all the rolleyes smileys in the world won't make you look any more intelligent.

E

Embattle

what a wonderfully reasoned argument, and childish insults too. In other words, you don't have anything else to add after everything you've said has been proven wrong. Yes, it is indeed "The End", and all the rolleyes smileys in the world won't make you look any cleverer.

I'm not trying to look clever but at least i can follow the topic.

E

Embattle

what a wonderfully reasoned argument, and childish insults too. In other words, you don't have anything else to add after everything you've said has been proven wrong. Yes, it is indeed "The End", and all the rolleyes smileys in the world won't make you look any more intelligent.

Nice edit.

T

Testin da Cable

hmmm...
I'm not exactly a pauper, even by Stu's obese standards, but I won't buy a P4 for 10 pounds if I can get a tbird that outperforms it [not even statistically heh] for 4
however, I will think twice about what I'll be getting if the prices tend to equalize [or worse] I try to buy what I think is best. Intel, AMD whatever. If Transmeta suddenly start producing 5Ghz crusoe's I'll buy that. 'End of'

E

Embattle

Originally posted by testin_da_cable
hmmm...
I'm not exactly a pauper, even by Stu's obese standards, but I won't buy a P4 for 10 pounds if I can get a tbird that outperforms it [not even statistically for 4 heh
however, I will think twice about what I'll be getting if the prices tend to equalize [or worse] I try to buy what I think is best. Intel, AMD whatever. If Transmeta suddenly start producing 5Ghz crusoe's I'll buy that. 'End of'

I agree to that, I can buy either but I won't pay over the odds.

E

Embattle

Posted 10/7/2001 - 1:39PM, by zAmboni
AMD is set to release their next batch of processor, the Athlon XP line, on October 9th. The Athlon XP is based on the Palomino core offers support for SSE instructions, data pre-fetch and other chip optimizations that consume less power (and produce less heat). The fastest XP processors should have enough performance to be competitive with the top of the line Pentium 4 processors. AMD will release 4 new chips using their controversial rating system instead of straight clock speed designations. Here is a list of the chips to be released and their corresponding clock speeds:

Athlon XP 1500+ --- 1.33GHz
Athlon XP 1600+ --- 1.4GHz
Athlon XP 1700+ --- 1.47GHz
Athlon XP 1800+ --- 1.53GHz
The "Performance Rating" system is supposed to give a real life performance figure compared to other processors, but it is unclear how the numbers are actually calculated and what processors the ratings are meant to compare with. There are already instances showing up which resellers have mislabeled the performance ratings and instead showing them as chip clock speeds. Unfortunately, in an effort to educate the ratings system may end up confusing the masses.

On the eve of the product launch, AMD released some bad news in the form of an earnings warning for the third quarter. Even though AMD has remained strong in terms of market share for the quarter, a vicious price war with Intel in addition to losing OEM customers hurt the bottom line. The release of the XP processors on the 9th may help to bring AMD out of the doldrums.

From Ars Technica.

T

Testin da Cable

I'm still having doubts
want to hear some 'real life' stories about them before I get one

O

old.TUG

LOL u guys dont arf know how to argue :)

O well I am gonna eat my chunky kit kat now. Bye :D

W

Wij

Some right dog's cock being spoken here !

P4 is designed for RDRAM ???

Utter cock. Intel is not so daft to design a chip that only works well with one type of memory. Want proof ?

http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=1541

The i850 is outperformed in every test. Case closed.

DDR only performs marginally better than SDRAM ???

Utter rats arseholes. That only applies to P3s and to a certain extent Athlons. P4 likes memory bandwidth and works well with DDR (see above again) whereas the 845 with SDRAM performs like a dead slug.

.13 micron P4s aren't out yet. Just cos they come in socket 478 (or whatever) packaging does not make them .13 micron.

AMD is trying to hike the prices on the XPs but that's hopefully just temporary because it's a new product and AMD fans will rush to buy them even with a big mark-up in the short term (they hope). I don't think AMD could be so dumb as to think they could get away with being more expensive or even on a par with Intel for performance. If they do then they're gonna get burnt.

Right, I'm off for a big sloppy poo !

:D

P

Perplex

image002.gif

image004.gif

image006.gif

Sorry, you were saying about how the P4 wasn't optimal with RDRAM...sorry? Care to rephrase?

W

Wij

Nope.

I said it wasn't optimised just for RDRAM. We all know that RDRAM does well in those synthetic tests with the P4 but Intel would not be so dumb as to make a chip that would only work well with one memory type. The marketing department would like you to think so but that's beside the point.

Those tests are comparing to the P4X266 which obviously isn't the best performer out there. The SiS 645 performs in actual performance benchmarks almost identical to the 850 with DDR266 and better with DDR333 which even though it is new will be cheaper than PC800 RDRAM. The chipset is also cheaper. Also you don't have to pair up DDR DIMMS. Better performance for less cost. I'm sold.

Hmm, I'm saying that a P4 performs well too so u can't call me an AMD fanboy :)

B

bodhi

I'll stick with RDRAM. It was what P4 was designed to use and it comes in a funky blue casing. I'm sold :)

B

bodhi

Originally posted by Embattle

Statistically yes in reality doesn't do much and brookdale stinks.

Really? That why all the Taiwanese mobo makers are calling it "the new BX". Seeing as BX was possible the greatest chipset ever to grace our planet Im guessing Brookedale very much does not stink.

E

Embattle

Originally posted by Perplex
image002.gif

image004.gif

image006.gif

Sorry, you were saying about how the P4 wasn't optimal with RDRAM...sorry? Care to rephrase?

How nice of you to provide some pictures/graphs :p

O

old.TUG

Next charts will be by one of u guys and it'll feature a scale which analyses who is the biggest cunt seein as u is still arguin! hehe

ph33r my Celeron 733@1200MHz

E

Embattle

Originally posted by TUG
ph33r my Celeron 733@1200MHz

Wow 3 gay things in one go TUG :p

1. Leet talk
2. Ph33r
3. Celeron

W

Wij

Originally posted by Bodhi

Really? That why all the Taiwanese mobo makers are calling it "the new BX". Seeing as BX was possible the greatest chipset ever to grace our planet Im guessing Brookedale very much does not stink.

They called it that cos it's dead stable and easy to make mobos for. With SDRAM it's performance is pretty poor.

T

Testin da Cable

me is gonna get one
not this year tho
Q1'02
:D

B

bodhi

Originally posted by Wij

They called it that cos it's dead stable and easy to make mobos for. With SDRAM it's performance is pretty poor.

They were talking about the DDR version :)

Anyway just ordered me P4 1.7 with half a gig of RDRAM and an Abit TH7II-RAID board. Can't wait til tomorrow now :|

W

Wij

That doesn't entirely contradict what I said if u see what I mean :)

Maybe with DRR it rocks although the fact that the latency on the current 845 has been nobbled to be exactly the same as the 850 makes me a little suspicious.

Anyway, we will see. P4 platform is gonna get more attractive soon. Especially when .13 microns P4s with 512k L2 cache come along.

It's gonna be a tough choice for me roundabout chrimbo time :D

(I can't forsee any reason to make me wanna go for an RDRAM solution tho)

Users who are viewing this thread