Threads

T

Tom

Threads was just on one of the BBC digital channels. Its just finished about 15 minutes ago.

For those that are too young to remember, this was a largely BBC produced documentary/drama about the effects of a nuclear war, on the city of Sheffield. I remember watching this when I was at secondary school. I was about 12 at the time (1984 I think it was on), it was pretty exciting stuff to watch, of course I never thought of what was being portrayed in quite the way the producers meant. It was something to be discussed the following day at school, but not seriously, more like "that was ace" or "did you see those burned bodies they were mint".

I just watched it now, and it frightens the living daylights out of me. I'm not sure if this is because I'm a bit more mature, and understand more the pain of the characters on-screen, or because I feel relieved that such a thing happening is now less likely then it was before now.

All of a sudden I'm not quite so worried about terrorist attacks any more, nothing they can do could cause quite so much damage as an all out nuclear exchange.

I was very impressed with the techniques the producers used, remember this was 20 years ago, and mainstream television at that.

/edit: check it out

O

old.Dillinja

Indeed. Some very scary stuff there, let's just hope we will never have to experience anything like that, or anyone else for that matter.

K

kameleon

Threads has always had that effect on me. We were forced to watch it in school.

W

whipped

I was also forced to watch it in school. Something that in recent years contributed to a slight emotional breakdown on my part.
Thank you Estover Community College, you finally got your wish and broke me :D

S

Sharma

Aye we were given the choice of whether of watch it in GCSE physics, of course everyone jjumped at the idea.

I can say, i felt ill after watching it, for an old movie it certainly is near enough on real and it is a very disturbing movie to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread