This week I have been watching..

X

Xtro 2.0

Well it was last week but whatever.

Anyway I was off work ill and bedridden so ended up watching a load of DVD's I still hadn't got round to watching.

I'd do a Jonathan Ross type review to maybe give you some pointers towards decent newish films to watch but I'm hungover and a mardy bastard so Paul Ross it is.

House of 1,000 Corpses - Directed by Rob Zombie - LAUGHS CHILLS AND SPILLS

The Good Thief - Nick Nolte talks like he's been licking a razor blade, had to use subtitles ffs. Bosnian bird gets kit off - GOOD THIEF? GOOD TITS!

Versus - Those crazy Japanese give us zombies guns and samurai swords - TOP MINDLESS NOTCH, DON'T LOSE YOUR HEAD!

Das Experiment - German film, mad. DAS IST GUT JA

Resident Evil - Don't really need to explain. BOLLOCKS AND NO GOOD LEZ SHOTS OF RODRIGUEZ AND JOVOVICH

Narc - gritty cop flick with Ray Liotta CRACK BANG SMACK A DRUG FILLED WINNER

That is all, I'm off to get pished.

Please post opinions, bullshit, bollocks whatever if you've seen any.

M

mank!

Two Weeks Notice - shit, but I was bored and my Mum had it on DVD.

Bourne Identity - very good, German girl in it was nice.

Raging Bull - Need I say anything?

Taxi Driver - as above

Insomnia - also very good, Pacino was good and shock horror, Robin Williams in serious role.

I also have just got Goodfellas and Godfather Part 1 on tape for £4 each. Win. I shall watch soon.

M

Munkey-

I thought Resident Evil wasnt too bad a film for what it was trying to be.

On the otherhand.

Ghost Ship - Salvage crew finds abandoned ship with dark past - SUNK IN THE FIRST FIVE MINUTES

L

leggy

Originally posted by Xtro 2.0

Das Experiment - German film, mad. DAS IST GUT JA

Narc - gritty cop flick with Ray Liotta CRACK BANG SMACK A DRUG FILLED WINNER

I've left the two good films in there.

Finished 6ft under. Watched cypher. Nothing else worthy of note.

P

plightstar

I was ill last week so I pulled out my very old copy of Beavis and Butthead Do America.

I forgot how funnu this film actually is I just love when there in the Hoover Dam and they say is this a god dam, well i'll be dammed.

O

Ono

Not much time this week but:

Final Destination 2 (R1) - See thread on this
My Tutor Friend - Korean film (R3) - Amusing but forgettable
My Wife is a Gangster - Korean film (R3) - Excellent, touching and funny
April Story - Korean film (R3) - shit.

Seem to chose the Korean ones in my 4 ft pile of unwatched DVDs for some reason.

C

Clowneh!

Oh, I thought he wanted reviews on the movies he saw, not lists of the films you all saw this week... Dunno tho, I'm tired and the only one I saw there was "The Good Thief", which I thought was alright.

S

stimpy

Mostly been re-watching stuff so here's my list then...

Band of Brothers - Currently up to Episode 7 - Pure Class, nuff said.
Shrek - Eddie Murphy in funny film shocker!
Equilibrium - Better than Matrix? Matrix Rip-Off? Who cares it's has kickass action sequences :)
Ringu - I want my mummy :/
Lilo & Stitch - Love it.

Also have The Eye to watch but I'm still a little scared from watching Ringu - the reason I've watched 2 cartoons :)

O

old.ignus

Originally posted by stimpy

Equilibrium - Matrix Rip-Off?

Man that annoys me. Just coz somebody shoots someone in mid air in slow motion with two guns its instantly a matrix rip off.

C

Ch3tan

I saw Tomb Raider 2 yesterday (I got free tickets). I can not underline how utterly awful this film is enough. When you cant suspend disbelief past the first 5 minutes of a film the script writers and directors have royalloy fucked up.

S

stimpy

Originally posted by old.ignus
Man that annoys me. Just coz somebody shoots someone in mid air in slow motion with two guns its instantly a matrix rip off.

Heh Don't think for a minute that I think that. I was just spouting some of the usual crap you get when mentioning that film :)
Like I'm sure has been said before Wachowski brothers didn't invent gun fights and slow motion - they just invented lots of hardcore geeks that would swear they did.

X

Xtro 2.0

Originally posted by Clowneh!
Oh, I thought he wanted reviews on the movies he saw, not lists of the films you all saw this week... Dunno tho, I'm tired and the only one I saw there was "The Good Thief", which I thought was alright.

I was ranting and sort of wanted both :)

O

old.ignus

Originally posted by stimpy
Heh Don't think for a minute that I think that. I was just spouting some of the usual crap you get when mentioning that film :)
Like I'm sure has been said before Wachowski brothers didn't invent gun fights and slow motion - they just invented lots of hardcore geeks that would swear they did.

If anything its John woo style not matrix style. I was arguing with a friend once about the plot, he said that equilibrims plot was similar to matrix reloadeds plot until I mentioned that equilibrium was in the cinemas before matrix reloaded was finished and film makers weren't big on sharing their ideas with other film makers, so if anything it was the other way around.

T

Testin da Cable

in the past couple of days I've seen...
Insomnia - bit slow paced. good imo though
Dog Soldiers - loved it
The Killing Fields - superb imo

L

leggy

about to watch

Crimson Rivers
The Pianist

*prepares to have insomnia cured*

M

mank!

Crimson Rivers. Is that a French film with Jean Reno in?

M

mank!

ah yes, I've seen that. I thought it was very good, and as ever, Jean Reno was class.

X

Xtro 2.0

cheers me dears. Might have to b....yes...buy it.

Can't believe SWFC went from 2-0 up v Stockport to 2-2 FFS.

Still 2nd in league is ok atm.

M

mank!

If you've got Sky Movies keep an eye out for it. It's quite often on about 3/4am in the morning, worth sticking the VCR on for.

L

leggy

I had planned on watching Brazil tonight. But despite countless requests my flatmate never subbed to filmfour. The ****.

Got ready, switched channel, got blue screen. Lose.

S

sad_mung

Originally posted by mank!
Insomnia - also very good, Pacino was good and shock horror, Robin Williams in serious role.
I fell asleep half way through this.
Does it get any better? I never bothered to watch the rest as it was a bit dull. Too introspective for my liking.

M

Munkey-

I saw donnie darko a week or two ago, that gets me really depressed when i start thinking about it. Only film i've watched in the world thats affected me like this, although Man on the Moon did come close.

Just so.....true. Not the wormholes and all that, but the way its portrayed, the characters.....the emotions....everything. it also got me thinking, something that i dont get very often from films, even momento had me switched off after a while.

I watched the first ten minutes of dog soldiers, i.e. the bit just before the special forces guy gets (i'm guessing) killed when he recces the 'lads'. Must watch the rest of it later.

T

Testin da Cable

damn, I also watched memento and forgot to say. liked the idea heh :)

crimson rivers was pretty good imo. some unexpected bits in the beginning :)

M

mank!

Originally posted by sad_mung
I fell asleep half way through this.
Does it get any better? I never bothered to watch the rest as it was a bit dull. Too introspective for my liking.

I enjoyed it, you found it boring. What's the problem?

X

Xtro 2.0

I've just watched Irreversible.

I knew it was going to be heavy going and I knew it would be very very grim but fking hell. I had to stop it after 20 mins to take a breather.

Needs to be seen but I wouldn't call it "enjoyable" in any way shape or form. Outstanding film, not for the squeamish.

Supposed to be going out tonight this has put me off :/

T

Testin da Cable

wow do tell some more. is it grim as in grim or grim as in going out on a first date and taking your lady to watch Philadelphia after which you're both so affected that you just go home*?

*true story.

X

Xtro 2.0

Mate I've watched and made some upsetting films. Lately I've been on a bit of a binge to watch as many gorefest/headfuck/intense films as possible (like Das Experiment, Ichi The Killer, Audition etc).

When the old crimson is flowing I'm usually laughing, the gorier the better (watching Braindead next, lots of fun with zombies and lawnmowers). While I might have said "yuk" or occasionally squinted my eyes thinking bleerrrgh (end of Audition for example) I haven't flinced or been affected.

Irreversible - I had to stop the film 23minutes and 13 seconds in exactly and leave the room for a bit to calm down. Housemate said I was shaking. I then sat and watched the rest right up to the end, it gets worse midway, much worse.

I can't really say anything else without giving massive spoilers away (where are the promised spoiler tags ffs :)).

Suffice to say its a very challenging, intense film that is in no way shape or form suitable for a first date ;)

The acting and direction are first class. This and Das Experiment are probably my favourite two films that I've watched all year.

/edit: It didn't put me off going out but it did make me wary.

L

leggy

Is this the film with Monica Belucci and Vincent Cassel?

If so, I have been meaning to rent this for about a year now but have bottled it every time. Think i'll go check it out tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread