SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Build their own...where exactly? Much of the cost of housing is land cost. We have too many people trying to buy an ever decreasing plot of land.

Not a UK problem, a global problem, but in a country where very little land is not privately owned one way or the other, it makes the problem bigger.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Thats a problem with Scouses favourite hate, inherited wealth.

I helped the stepdaughter with a deposit, because I inherited it from my parents and it just keeps adding up.
If you dont have that chain then you are fucked and that is increasingly becoming the majority.

They should let those with enthusiasm and a bit of know how build their own with special loans, it would be far more rewarding than a minimum wage job and quite possibly a lot more financially rewarding.
expand...
Possibly not the case outside of London, but even with that financial help from parents for the deposit, plenty of my friends can't afford to buy because the mortgages are too much for one person.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Theres enormous swathes of buildable land that developers are sitting on.
Simple laws could make these investments less attractive, too many people making millions out of it.

If we dont fix it then this is our future after this covid induced recession.

View: https://youtu.be/yzWSowCz_Ow

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
And that's what the tories want, they say they're for small to medium businesses
They changed a functional thing in government earlier this year that put me out of business. So I don't believe them.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
But then in the same paragraph you tell people to shut up moaning and get on with it, and you had it just as has when you were younger.

Which just isn't true for a multitude of reasons.

Let's face it. The future is we're (anyone under the age of 30) all going to be working for Jeff Bezos at minimum wage and having to do year long Amazon qualifications in order to get 50p a hour pay increases. And that's what the tories want, they say they're for small to medium businesses but let's see how much of a reality that's actually going to be. So long as they and their mates are making the big bucks, why change it?

My Dad for example bumbled his way through a terrible education and got a terrible job, still afforded to buy a house at the age of 18 though, and then worked his way up to a well paid job, which is the how many young people can say the same today? When there's a 18 year old that buys their own house today it makes the fucking news.

Same applies for other people that haven't progressed in careers but because they bought a house at a young age. They're essentially retired couriers sitting in 350k houses. I don't see any amazing and simple investments like that going on today.
You can moan all you like. But its not changing anything.

many 18 year olds progress through the company if they stay long enough. Many jump from job to job in search of quick gains that are losses in the long term. I been with my company 21 out of the last 23 years. And got promoted to where i am now.

there are a few who stay that long and most end up pretty senior if they are any good.

my first job out of university i got 1k a month take home. 400 was rent, 100 car payment, there wasnt much left for fun after that.

oh btw i left school at 16. And have no A levels

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
There's so much wrong with that post @Moriath that I don't really want to start :(

Yeah, really shows he has no concept of reality for young people today, he was fine 30 years ago, so why can't people be today?!?!?!

£1k a month in the late 80s/early 90s (I'd imagine) is an a insane amount of money to have when you 'first come out of uni'

dysfunction

FH is my second home

many 18 year olds progress through the company if they stay long enough. Many jump from job to job in search of quick gains that are losses in the long term. I been with my company 21 out of the last 23 years. And got promoted to where i am now.

there are a few who stay that long and most end up pretty senior if they are any good.

my first job out of university i got 1k a month take home. 400 was rent, 100 car payment, there wasnt much left for fun after that.

You actually gain more experience and progress faster if you stay for 3 to 5 years and then find another job. Perhaps even shorter turnover time but definitely not less than a year as that doesn't show much commitment.
I would encourage that especially for younger people.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I made samosas tonight

Followed Al's recipe in the video (s a m o s a s)
Slightly modified it. I added lemon juice and a couple of pinches of sugar.
I left out the garlic and ginger paste (because I forgot to buy some). It wasn't missed

Samosa's were incredibly crunchy, and the pastry was light and delicate
I made 10 and ate 5
The other 5 are for breakfast (provided I don't sneak down at 3am and finish them off)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I made samosas tonight

Followed Al's recipe in the video (s a m o s a s)
Slightly modified it. I added lemon juice and a couple of pinches of sugar.
I left out the garlic and ginger paste (because I forgot to buy some). It wasn't missed

Samosa's were incredibly crunchy, and the pastry was light and delicate
I made 10 and ate 5
The other 5 are for breakfast (provided I don't sneak down at 3am and finish them off)

Pics or it didnt happen

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Yeah, really shows he has no concept of reality for young people today, he was fine 30 years ago, so why can't people be today?!?!?!

£1k a month in the late 80s/early 90s (I'd imagine) is an a insane amount of money to have when you 'first come out of uni'
I graduated in 1997

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Uni fees came in in '98.

Not that it matters massively in my opinion.

Gwadien

Uni fees came in in '98.

Not that it matters massively in my opinion.

I mean, when we're comparing life and opportunities, I'd say yeah, it's kinda important.

I had a sociology teacher from Croydon who used to go on about how he accidentally fell into teaching because he had a choice between going uni for free or getting a job.

I'd say that's opportunity, especially for someone with no A-levels.

Last edited:

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I mean, when we're comparing life and opportunities, I'd say yeah, it's kinda important.

I had a sociology teacher from Croydon who used to go on about how he accidentally fell into teaching because he had a choice between going uni for free or getting a job.

Around 15% of 18 year olds went to uni in the early 90s compared to 40% now. There is a lot more to it than Tuition Fees.

Gwadien

Around 15% of 18 year olds went to uni in the early 90s compared to 40% now. There is a lot more to it than Tuition Fees.

You could argue that having a degree is more of a requirement for a decent job these days.

You can't even leave school at 16 anymore, you have to stay until 18, even if that's to do a trade that's traditionally learnt on the job. (Of course there's still apprenticeships, but I feel like they're abused a bit more than they were historically.)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Theres enormous swathes of buildable land that developers are sitting on.
Simple laws could make these investments less attractive, too many people making millions out of it.

If we dont fix it then this is our future after this covid induced recession.

View: https://youtu.be/yzWSowCz_Ow

That whole video is basically a rich guy, pretending to care but at the end of the day outright whining about homeless people.

8:30 'Why don't you throw out what you don't need, this looks terrible'

Get the fuck out.

His conclusion... 10mins+ "this is supposed to be one of the richest countries in the world, but fuck the poor, hopefully they will all fuck off and die soon and we can still enjoy random beach"

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

I did an apprenticeship at british aerospace for 3 years before being laid off.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
You could argue that having a degree is more of a requirement for a decent job these days.

You can't even leave school at 16 anymore, you have to stay until 18, even if that's to do a trade that's traditionally learnt on the job. (Of course there's still apprenticeships, but I feel like they're abused a bit more than they were historically.)

It's more of a requirement cos everyone has one and they're completely devalued, unless in specific fields. Even then, when I was hiring people (SQL/BI roles) I didn't even look at their education, it was experience. If the experience was lacking, sit them in front of a few tests and see how resourceful they are. I got my first IT job with no experience because I was the only applicant lol - the company was based in a warehouse on a farm in the middle of nowhere which I guess put people off. At the risk of sounding like an old fart, I do sometimes think people expect quite a lot without having done much to deserve it. We get a lot of graduates coming in applying for account exec roles wanting £35-40k a year with no experience for an entry level role. Any company worth their salt will reward their employees quickly if they are deserving of it, because they don't want to lose them. Sometimes if you're not getting what you believe you deserve, it's not everyone else's fault.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Fresh graduates, on the whole, are fucking useless.

That's not to say their education is useless, their application of their education and their attitude is useless, they don't know it all after leaving Uni, they are just starting to learn. It takes them a while to get it.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Edit timer. That being said, I literally left school in the mid 90s on the Friday (might have been a Wednesday or whatever) without any GCSEs (I think my best was a D in art) and got a job the following week washing cars for ford, I didn't really have a lot of choice, single parent, dad was (and still is, as far as I know) a cunt that paid 0 in support. That lasted about a month before I got a nice tidy office job, opening post and archiving, great stuff. From there I was so bored I fucked about in DOS and designed a pretty decent front end to a lot of DOS fucking about (essentially a fuck load of BAT files to create what appeared to be a functioning menu) which worked, I then got promoted internally.

That was 15/20 years ago, now I design and maintain financial reports, design processes and maintain a huge database for a 30mil turnover service industry company and I am first line support for system issues/main contact between devs and my company, not huge by any means but I get by...Pre-lockdown every time I discussed moving on I got a pay rise...pretty happy where I am atm! ...for now.

Anyway, short answer is; So many graduates feel they deserve something after finishing uni, very few see it as a foot in the door for improvement.

Last edited:

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Fresh graduates, on the whole, are fucking useless.

That's not to say their education is useless, their application of their education and their attitude is useless, they don't know it all after leaving Uni, they are just starting to learn. It takes them a while to get it.
I do agree, can't tar everyone with the same brush but you see it a lot. I think I was at an advantage when i got my first proper job after uni because when I left school I went and worked shit jobs for a few years (very similar situation to yours) and when everything was a bit more financially stable I went to uni when I was 21 or 22. Even though I was young, that few years of real world experience was an absolute godsend when I went out looking for a career job.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Your experience is completely atypical. The average job tenure across the western world has been dropping like a stone for decades. Average job tenure in the US and EU is down to about four years, and its only that high if you include public sector workers, in the private sector its closer to three years. And this is by design; delayering hierarchies means less job progression, but more importantly, companies don't want lifers hanging around racking up pension liabilities.

The reality for the majority, even in "good" jobs, is higher turnover and increased uncertainty through one's career, and its ludicrous to claim otherwise.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Been at my place for 12 years now. I was going to move on, until the Rona shat the bed.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Your experience is completely atypical. The average job tenure across the western world has been dropping like a stone for decades. Average job tenure in the US and EU is down to about four years, and its only that high if you include public sector workers, in the private sector its closer to three years. And this is by design; delayering hierarchies means less job progression, but more importantly, companies don't want lifers hanging around racking up pension liabilities.

The reality for the majority, even in "good" jobs, is higher turnover and increased uncertainty through one's career, and its ludicrous to claim otherwise.
For a lot of companies this is true however in the company I work in (huge worldwide org) seniority (number of years served) is a celebrated event still and there is a high proportion of individuals who have worked for a very long time. I have just had my 20 year anniversary, my boss is 18 years and her boss is 19 years. 30% of my employees are over 7 years and I have had no leavers for two years in any of my departments.

My Career has grown at the same rate as my colleagues who left - once you get to FD / CFO it is normally a matter of increasing the size of the entity you are responsible for whether internally or externally. Maybe I am an exception to the norm however I work and live in an environment where I am the norm - ie outside of this org and in my direct family my brother and sisters have worked for the same orgs for donkeys years, my husband has been in his job for over 6 years and his father in his company for double figures and his mum although has moved schools has been a headmistress for government schools for at least 10 years....

This year i also turned 50 and there are cash awards for either turning 50 (after 10 years service) or 25 years with a small difference and when I discussed with my boss we decided it would be better for me to wait for my 25 years gift as the award is higher.

In Europe ie FR, SE, NL, DK, NO it is very very expensive to make redundancies so for some countries there are barriers to permenant employment ie in NL you can be a temp employed by the organisation for 2 years before you have to be offered a permenant role and in Sweden it is 1 to 2 years dependent on the central agreement - I beleive organisations use this to the fullest effect and this will impact the statistic of 4 years...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom