News This M5 crash...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Apparently people were slowing down to see the fireworks which contributed to it. If that is the case then they should never be allowed to drive again. Same as the cunts that slow down to look at accidents.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'll put money on the cause being too many people not leaving enough stopping distance ahead of them. In the aerial footage I saw at least one car slammed straight into the back of a trailer.

One or two cars lose control, HGV driver slams on the anchors, lorry jackknifes, following HGVs do the same, several HGV drivers squished flat as they pancake into oneanother. All the cars around them, all driving too fast for the conditions, swerving to avoid the chaos in front of them as they can't brake to a halt in time.

You see the conditions that lead up to these accidents every day. Nobody ever learns.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Sorry but like Tom said it was probably a case of not enough care, too fast and too close. The warning sign seemed to be flashing 30/40 MPH due to fog at the time the camera's got there.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
The M6 was closed by Preston a few days ago, chemical spill, within an hour there had been a major shunt on the other side, people rubbernecking.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Every time i back off to leave a proper distance some twat in a Bmw or hatchback overtakes me and fills it :(

Also anyone else notice how the standard of driving goes to shit once the clocks go forward 1h ?

Just popped out to the shops around half 6 when most workers communte home and i found myself 3-4 times screaming inside my car i got so annoyed with people not indicating and doing other various stupid things

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Aye, truly awful. My heart goes out to the affected families. Poor buggers.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Every time i back off to leave a proper distance some twat in a Bmw or hatchback overtakes me and fills it :(

This is my biggest complaint of motorway driving in addition to lorries overtaking lorries. If you leave a gap, some twat in the other lane just HAS to fill it in - it's the strangest behaviour. I talk to my girlfriend about it when we're out and about in busy, slower moving motorway traffic.

"Watch this, if I leave a big gap, someone will move in" ... and someone usually does. My particular lane isn't going any faster, it's just a really shitty habit that humans have.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Also anyone else notice how the standard of driving goes to shit once the clocks go forward 1h ?
Interesting theory, been out today, got abuse hurled at me for not running out of the way crossing the road to my car, pulled into petrol station and some hideous chav runs in after a poor young girl in a Ka, screaming obsceneties at her claiming she had cut him up, eventually I said 'Calm down mate, nobody's hurt', he swung around to give me the same, but I had made sure I was around the back of my pickup with my old trusty old hatchet hammer in my hand..'just tidying the back officer.'..So he just stormed off.
Get's to the Runcorn bridge and it's down to 1 lane, holy fuck, if they had guns, there would have been a shoot out to decide who's going first, revving engines, mock ramming motions, windows down..fuck you, twat..knobhead..Jesus, too may people, too many cars, Englands too small.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
too many cunts in cars

driving test needs a "are you a human being or a stupid cunt " question

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
He's right though. See some unbelievable shit when driving. People seem to think that behind the wheel they can act like cunts. Kinda like the internet really :)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
After the events leading upto this crash i'm sure the gov will place a ban on people having fireworks anywhere near a motorway due to drivers looking at them. Brutal crash like, I think they need to rethink upping the speed limit tho due to incidents like this.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
cant argue with that sentiment really, scary some of the driving you see when out and about, especially in bad conditions. can only agree with Wazz and punish about the safe distance thing as well, REALLY pisses me off when your on the motorway leaving a reasonable gap to the next car to give you some braking room and some twat will always pull into the space.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Aye and if the space ninja has to break suddenly he/she will harp onto you about being too close, typical twattery really.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
This crash had little to do with the maximum speed limit. As far as I know temporary speed limits were in place, any maximum limit would not have had an affect on the accident.

Embattle

FH is my second home
As I said earlier those warning signs were on at 30/40 MPH whether they were on before the crash I dunno but as one person said:

The thing that made me realise how bad it was, was you could hear the thud of cars hitting into lorries: One car overtook us going at about 60 or 70 miles an hour and just crashed straight into a lorry.

Mabs

some road sections are really shit, had some family die up in scotland a year or 2 ago on a really bad bit of road.
this bit of the m5 i know quite well, its near my dads house, and its not a bad bit of road.
so its totally driver fault tbh. people need to learn to THINK when driving. a 2 ton piece of metal doing 80 mph is not something you want to lose track of your surroundings in

rynnor

Rockhound
There was extremely heavy rain in that area yesterday so no doubt that was a big factor but it is true that many people no longer seem to take any notice of conditions and drive as though its a dry sunny day.

Mabs

exactly. there are things (weather, time of day, volume of traffic, etc) that affect "conditions" but as a -driver- you should adjust your behaviour to allow for this, so its not really mitigating, tbh

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
As I said earlier those warning signs were on at 30/40 MPH whether they were on before the crash I dunno but as one person said:

I remember driving down to cornwall a couple of years ago and there was torrential rain with visability of less than 30 feet. Whilst on the dual carriageway bits I was doing about 40 with my lights on and there were cars streaming past doing well over 70 with no lights at all so close they could have been bumming each other, scared the living shit out of me, it's a wonder any of them survived.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
I live just off the south end of the M5, and so have driven this stretch fairly regularly for as long as I've been driving and it is a good stretch of road, but the fog come in very quickly there and people are very bad at adapting speed to conditions.

I was on that bit a few years back, at night, with the family in the car, and the conditions were really horrible, virtually no visibility at all, and very wet roads. I really didn't feel safe driving much above 35 mph, but was virtually forced to by cars coming so quickly from behind that I was more scared of being rear ended than running into anything ahead. I'm usually a pretty confident driver, but that was terrifying. Had to come off at first available junction and take my chances with the A38.

RB

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I know what you mean.
I see the difference in the personality of the road between normal days, rush hours and holidays. You know it's holiday time when you need to have your wits about you watching out for fuckery happening around you.

This incident sounds like a perfect storm of poor light, wet surface, foggy, fireworks and driver inattention. I will not be surprised if the subsequent inquiry finds that a driver caused the accident by paying more attention to a mobile/satnav/laptop/DVD than the road. I feel for the families tonight.

There was a nasty crunch on the road leading away from the fireworks display tonight. Not just a bop, but a proper crunching bang that sets off the airbags. It looked like everyone was walking, but the cars looked in a really bad way. Accidents happen. That's why they're called accidents.

"Why do we call them incidents?"
"Because accident implies no-one to blame"

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
What I do find interesting is what will come from the lorries at the front of the "queue" as they looked lucky to escape. They're bound to be able to say what happened.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Probably what happens on most roads everyday, people getting far to close which inevitably leads to someone coming to an almost complete stop, and the people behind thinking there isn't any reason why a car should be stopping on a road where traffic is moving along normally. Most accidents are caused by people who are oblivious to what is going on around them.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
What I do find interesting is what will come from the lorries at the front of the "queue" as they looked lucky to escape. They're bound to be able to say what happened.

They won't have a clue, they'll have been too busy watching the TV.

Himse

FH is my second home
It always happens, people fill a gap where ever there is one.

You're doing 70 in the outside lane and overtaking, someone will always pull out in front of you and insist on doing 60mph.

I don't mind people going slow, but you hold up the entire world and could cause an accident just pulling out in front of people.

Also, agree with the stopping distances, people drive far too close together, but you can't even help it when people pull out in front of you / sheer volume of traffic.

JingleBells

FH is my second home
Oh for the love of God, another major incident
BBC said:
A lorry has fallen off a bridge on to the M56 motorway in Cheshire.

The HGV fell on to the westbound carriageway at Junction 11 at Preston Brook, between Warrington and Runcorn, at about 15:15 GMT.

Reports from the scene suggest several vehicles may have collided with the lorry.

The accident has closed the motorway in both directions and emergency services are at the scene.

Embattle

FH is my second home
There is naturally going to be a higher level of reporting at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom