Crap This just hadn't occured to me...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The internet, whilst being a valuable medium of information dissemination, has all but killed journalism's quality - and it's ability to stand up to government and corporations in pursuit of justice for the average man.

Very interesting read...

There is an abyss between the New York Times that publishes the Pentagon Papers in 1971 regardless of whether doing so means it has to face the courts, and the New York Times of today that does not even bother to send a reporter to Bradley Manning's trial.

Looks like Wikileaks is pretty much all we've got left at the moment :(

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Just got to PC, pissed, too long. Fuck it, whatevever it means. Will have a proper read tomorrow. Ta.

rynnor

Rockhound
Scouse said:
The internet, whilst being a valuable medium of information dissemination, has all but killed journalism's quality - and it's ability to stand up to government and corporations in pursuit of justice for the average man.

I dont think Journalism has changed much tbh - so many things never made it to print in the old days - the internet has rendered that largely impossible.

Remember that much of the population is and ever was your basic eastenders/ star search viewer.

Such people like to be told the world is as they know. They actively dislike 'News' as unsettling to them.

Actual Journalism of note has always been the exception.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Actual Journalism of note has always been the exception.

But on those occasions the papers could and would "print and be damned" because they were financially free to do so.

Now they're not. They're in shackles.

rynnor

Rockhound
Scouse said:
But on those occasions the papers could and would "print and be damned" because they were financially free to do so.

Now they're not. They're in shackles.

Really? They still have huge circulations and with no real regulator they can do what they like.

Papers have always been wary of upsetting their major advertisers.

Is the internet more of a threat than newspapers being owned by a very few individuals?

You have to be wary when 'journalists' bemoan the lack of quality journalism on the internet - vested interests etc. :p

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Really? They still have huge circulations and with no real regulator they can do what they like.

Papers have always been wary of upsetting their major advertisers.

Ok. Lets stop here.

Without trying to offend you - what you're saying in these two sentences makes me very strongly suspect that you've not read the (crucial) article I posted as they simply don't even slightly address the subject matter.

rynnor

Rockhound
Scouse said:
Ok. Lets stop here.

Without trying to offend you - what you're saying in these two sentences makes me very strongly suspect that you've not read the (crucial) article I posted as they simply don't even slightly address the subject matter.

Lol - I read the whole thing I just dont agree with it.

I also note you are reading a lot on al jazeera recently?

Kryten

Old Cow.
Doesn't really fuss me. Slightly on topic, the one thing that is certain is that both our local newspapers and their websites have the same journalistic qualities as Tim Messenger from Hot Fuzz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom