This "coldest winter in a k" thing.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Link might be of questionable source, but anyway;

Europe is Expected to Have the Worst Winter in the Last 1000 Years

That seems to be on other sources as well.

What's your opinions, bets, cockletickles?

I think it's going to be a bit of a let down, if looked at from a "OMG colds is coming!" POV. Meaning that we're in for a nice winter, but no record breaks.

On the other hand i'm hoping it is a monster winter.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
It is bullshit, they can't even predict the local weather for tomorrow properly, 3 out of 5 times they get it slightly wrong and every so often they get it totally wrong.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Unlikely. The article mentions the slowing down of the gulf stream as the main factor but AFAIK it's not happened yet.

If it does stop, we're proper buggered. However, we'll get enough of a warning to be able to put our houses on the market and emigrate to warmer climes :)

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Last winter was one of the best/worst winters in more than 30 years in the UK.
Best if you're looking for snow, ice, cold weather, sledding and generally enjoying a "typical" winter.
Worst if you're unprepared and can't cope with iced roads, poor supplies of road grit and can't stand close to arctic temperatures.

If it's cold again, I hope the authorities are better prepared.
If it isn't cold again... oh well.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
fuck that, I hate the cold :eek:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Cold = Win.

Sun = Win.

Rain = Win.

Cloud = Lose.

England = Cloud + occasionally annoying wind :(

Gumbo

FH is my second home
In the spring they were saying that this year would have the hottest summer in forever, then it was shit.

I prefer to wait and see.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I love the winter especially if it snows. Very peaceful. I don't mind the summer but sometimes days on end of heat gets annoying. Luckily we rarely get weeks and weeks of heat in the UK.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It's called a millennium.

Good for you *pat head*

Anyway, last summer was exceptionally hot, atleast around europe and the winter was a nice full one also. So the weatherfolk ain't always wrong, which makes this interesting really.

Sadly i think people are right and it's going to be either a black winter with no snow, or what we had last winter.

Helme

Resident Freddy
I don't mind.

You can always put on another shirt in the winter, it's hard taking off more clothes when you're naked from the heat in the summer.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Last winter was one of the best/worst winters in more than 30 years in the UK.
Best if you're looking for snow, ice, cold weather, sledding and generally enjoying a "typical" winter.
Worst if you're unprepared and can't cope with iced roads, poor supplies of road grit and can't stand close to arctic temperatures.

If it's cold again, I hope the authorities are better prepared.
If it isn't cold again... oh well.

Aye it was a pretty bad winter in many ways. There was another upside though. Because of large snowfalls and rainfalls, reservoirs were filled nicely, so no hosepipe bans etc, this summer, at least where I live.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Unlikely. The article mentions the slowing down of the gulf stream as the main factor but AFAIK it's not happened yet.

isn't the gulf stream just turning further north now then it used to?

that's how i got it explained anyway, gulf stream melting the polar icecaps because its going to far to the north and thus cooling the earth down faster or something utterly illogical...

rynnor

Rockhound
Last winter was cold in the UK due to the North Atlantic Oscillation - thats the official bit but sadly meterologists dont really know why we get it.

As I remember it a large cold patch appeared in the mid-atlantic and this seemed to skew everything but no-one had an explanation for it nor has subsequently come up with one for its origin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom