Third party laptop fan replacement

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Anyone ever used companies like batterymall.co.uk or BatteryStyle? I'm looking to replace the fan in my aging Vaio and I can't find anything "official" anywhere.. will these (here and here) fans work for me? I'm put off by some of the shocking grammar on those two sites tbh (similar errors on both, funnily enough - I wonder if they are owned by the same company), they just don't look very trustworthy. :\

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Alternatively eBay for the same model for spares and repairs.
Fans aren't exactly the hardest things to change out in a laptop. The biggest problem is if they're bonded to a heatsink or the power connector is hidden under another circuit board.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I've had a dig around and reckon it won't be too difficult to get the fan out. It blows air through the end of the heatsink pipe right by the external vent so it's nowhere near the heatsink itself.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yep, it just plain doesn't want to spin around anymore. Sometimes it makes ticking noises like it's trying so maybe the bearings are knackered or something... It's 5 years old and it has been left turned on quite a bit so it's probably done a good few thousand hours.

The thread was more about using these suppliers, rather than going through official channels for probably 3 times the price. I looked on ebay, there were 2 SZ1XP/C carcasses but both were over £100 so I've ordered from batterymall.co.uk (as if that's an English company) and we shall see.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
What's the best way to remove old thermal paste? ANd I can just lob any old paste on to replace it (Arctic Silver 5 is what I had in mind), can't I?

IMG_9364.jpgIMG_9366.jpg

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Ack, this is getting more complicated (3mb pdf). I'm looking at p31 and the fan seems to be attached quite firmly to the mobo. I have removed the kb, palm rest, and hood (so it looks like this currently except I took the bit above the kb with the switches off too) I haven't taken the chassis off yet (bit with holes in), I'm scared. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom