Thinking of teaching in Japan, want some advice

Syri

FH is my second home
I'm not sure if anyone can offer any really specific advice, though I do seem to recall someone on here going off to live in Japan at some point, but I'm rubbish with names, so I can't make any specific address to them. Anyway...

I'm considering applying for the JET program to go and assist with teaching English in Japan, but there's a few things I'm still unsure of, as I've not really done much moving about within the UK, let alone heading out to another country, so I want to make sure I've really thought things through.

First, a bit of background on why I want to go. Feel free to skip this bit... I've not had the best of times in the UK, and some of it is my own doing, some bad luck, some bad circumstances. Either way, not been great here for me, and I've thought on and off about heading out for some time. When I left my soul destroying call centre job several years ago, and my attempt at starting my own business failed, I decided to go back to college and aim to move to Japan. I've been on holiday a couple of times and really enjoyed it there. There's just something about the place that I enjoy, the food, the people, the way tradition and technology of all levels are just mixed up all over the place... Several years later, I have my degree (after a few retakes) and the application date is looming.

Now, on to what I want to know.
First, is there anything I really need to be thinking about before leaving the UK? I know there's the obvious like making sure my passport is current (just renewed it) and things like that, but I want to know if anyone moved overseas and there was anything they missed, or later found a better way of managing, that might be useful to share. I'm thinking anything I might need to apply for, or if I need to let the tax office know anything, how it might affect my student loans... those kind of things.

Second, is it a good idea? Is Japan really that great a country to live in, or am I just telling myself it will be because I enjoyed a holiday there? Does that tend to give a skewed view of how life might actually be? If anyone's experienced going somewhere on holiday, then moving there, did it live up to what you thought?

Finally, just if anyone has anything to add, just feel free. Be it words of encouragement, doubt or just asking if I really thought something through. I really don't want to just jump into this without thinking it through (even if that might be fun in some ways, it's really not my style).
And lastly, sorry for the wall of text... really, sorry...

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Second, is it a good idea? Is Japan really that great a country to live in, or am I just telling myself it will be because I enjoyed a holiday there? Does that tend to give a skewed view of how life might actually be? If anyone's experienced going somewhere on holiday, then moving there, did it live up to what you thought?

afaik @mooSe_ is doing this exact thing. That aside, always keep in mind that that a place enjoyed while travelling should be remembered in that context first, and everything else after. When working for the duration you'll have days where you just had a shit day, or are tired, or it's been raining for 9 days straight and you're stuck there because you're working in one place for a year. It's just normal life. Don't let everyday humdrum get you down. Build up a work regimen and stick to it. After that's over there's plenty of time to do a shitload of awesome stuff and make all of us nerds jealous. The experiences you'll take away from your time there will be unique and amazing and will stay with you for life, not to mention look excellent on your CV :)

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Moving country is tough no matter where however I have found if you respect local customs then life is much easier. I have several friends who have lived, studied and worked in Japan... the one comment they all have is that whilst living there the have had the oddest encounters and experiences in their lives :). Although I have never been that way I would prefer to live in Japan than China (listening to friend discuss living in both)

bainteor

Banned
I would greatly encourage you to do this, if you have the opportunity. It is important to experience new cultures whilst you are still able. An English friend of mine did the JET programme and ended up staying for 2 years. He enjoyed it, learned a new language (although he is no longer as good as he was) and had plenty of fascinating stories to share. Of course it will be difficult, there will be times when you will miss home, things will not always go to plan ... but this is life, and it will be worth it. I wish you luck.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
This is what my daughter is planning to do (and has wanted to do since she was like 12!)

Off to uni in september to do an english degree and she'll also learn a modern language as part of the course (Japanese obviously) and be CELTA qualified at the end of it.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
This would be something @DaGaffer could offer some useful insights on I think.

I've never moved to another country, but I am full of admiration for those that have the strength and courage to do it. I've known a couple of mates that have done though, mostly motivated by a) they don't like the UK and b) the money (on paper...) was much better - the only thing common to both of them that I would suggest to be careful for is the cost of living in those countries and what your new income and situation will be. My mate that moved to Groningen didn't do his research and ended up being much worse off due to higher taxation and living costs, coming back to the UK within about 18 months. My other mate in the USA is finding the same - he negotiated a massive pay hike with the aim of renting a flat for two years, saving the excess money and returning to the UK. It now seems that to get a place that's not a shit-hole is costing him a fortune, so that excess capital is being eaten into more than he first anticipated.

In short, research it very thoroughly - don't do it because "I had a nice extended holiday there". I know how you feel though, I love Austria and would love to live and work there. I do not like the clearly-defunct construct of "The UK", I'm a republican and favour iScot, I favour higher taxation to help the people and would be interested to see what somewhere like Sweden would be like to live and work in (Yoni?).

@Yoni and @TdC are two marvellous people who can help you on your musings.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
This would be something @DaGaffer could offer some useful insights on I think.

I've never moved to another country, but I am full of admiration for those that have the strength and courage to do it. I've known a couple of mates that have done though, mostly motivated by a) they don't like the UK and b) the money (on paper...) was much better - the only thing common to both of them that I would suggest to be careful for is the cost of living in those countries and what your new income and situation will be. My mate that moved to Groningen didn't do his research and ended up being much worse off due to higher taxation and living costs, coming back to the UK within about 18 months. My other mate in the USA is finding the same - he negotiated a massive pay hike with the aim of renting a flat for two years, saving the excess money and returning to the UK. It now seems that to get a place that's not a shit-hole is costing him a fortune, so that excess capital is being eaten into more than he first anticipated.

In short, research it very thoroughly - don't do it because "I had a nice extended holiday there". I know how you feel though, I love Austria and would love to live and work there. I do not like the clearly-defunct construct of "The UK", I'm a republican and favour iScot, I favour higher taxation to help the people and would be interested to see what somewhere like Sweden would be like to live and work in (Yoni?).

@Yoni and @TdC are two marvellous people who can help you on your musings.

I don't think my experience is that relevant tbh; moving to Ireland isn't exactly a cultural challenge. Having said that, my parents emigrated twice, to South Africa (but I can't really remember that as I was only five when we came back) and Cyprus, so I do have a bit of indirect experience as well as my own.

I think I'd always say, yes, go for it, but the key is you have to have your eyes wide open. Working isn't a holiday and its a lot harder to walk away from, and with something like JET, chances are its a couple of years and then back to blighty anyway. Not necessarily, I know one person who did JET and she just carried on teaching all around the world, mainly in the middle east, but she was the exception. So you have to ask yourself whether this is part of a long-term plan, or just a way of getting the hell away from the UK for a bit. Neither motivation is wrong, but whichever it is should have an effect on how you approach things.

NB @BigG, one thing I've realised over the last couple of years is that the era of going abroad for a big payday is largely done; salary rates are levelling out, and even things like tax free benefits in places like Dubai are being offset by spiralling costs when you're there. Doesn't mean you can't get a good job and have a good time, but its not like the days where you could pay off your house back home with a few years' graft (unless you're getting paid danger money or its somewhere really awful like Afghanistan). I've looked seriously at a couple of things in the last 18 months, (one in the Denmark and one in the Caribbean) and financially after rents, school fees and work restrictions for my wife in the Caribbean and rents, taxes and school fees in Denmark, neither actually made sense.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Remember..no matter where you go thete will be lots of people who thinks its a depressing shithole and will fantasise about going to live where you come from.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Go for it. Just remember that you need a plan, a backup and very importantly, you need an "oh shit!" exit strategy too.

The company that sent me to the US sent over 30+ people from the UK in a 3 year period (2008-2011). Of those, I think only 6 of us ended up staying long term. Most did their one or two years and went back home. One guy lasted 5 weeks... Couldn't handle being so far away from everything he knew. Another group just went to work and came home every day. Spent all weekend watching American TV. Never did exploring or social events. They went home after 6 months, said they didn't like it in America.

In terms of taxes and stuff, if you only ever did PAYE, then no need to tell anyone anything. You can let the Student Loans company know you are taking a job abroad, they will send you a form, you put in how much you will earn, and they will give you a fixed amount that needs to be paid every month / year. If you don't tell them how much, you'll be charged a flat rate (it was around 350 quid a month 5 years ago).

My best friends wife did a similar program, but in South Korea. She taught adults English for 9 months. She said it's the best thing she's ever done.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
From someone with experience moving around the world (Sweden --> US); Do it!

Expect costs to be higher than you'd think.
Make a plan on what you want do do.
Make an exit plan unless you want to stay forever.
Make an exit plan anyway.
Research immigration laws - what you can and can't do, how long you can stay and paperwork you have to fill out and when they need to be filed.
Don't burn any bridges back home - you might be back sooner than you think.
Moving your belongings can be expensive - think long and hard on what you have to have with you and what you can buy there - sometimes it's cheaper to just buy a new [item] when you get there.

When/if you get there: Make friends, like real friends. Friends who can help you out and teach you about the culture. Friends who are willing to do boring things they done a thousand times that you've never done in your life.
Explore. Walk around. Take a train around town. Rent a car. Don't just sit at home chatting to your old blokes on Discord/Facebook/whatever.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Biggest tip for me has been:

Expats can be nice but making friends that are local makes the experience of moving country so much nicer (and easier)

Am currently on 4th country, you will encounter weird beaurocratic rules that make no sense, most countries social systems operate on the assumption that everyone else uses the same system (and so has like for like papers)

After 7 years here and now with kids i doubt ill be going anywhere again though

Good luck :)

Syri

FH is my second home
Just thought I'd bump this up to say thanks for all of the advice, and give a bit of an update. I've applied for the JET programme and have now been offered an interview on the 18th of January. I'm doing a lot of research into the type of questions they're likely to ask, and working on general interview skills. If anyone has any suggestions of things I should be looking into though, I'd welcome it, or questions to ask at the interview, just in case there's anything I've not thought about.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
My Stepdads niece went to teach English and is still there, she loves it.
The fact that she has abroad Glaswegian accent was not a barrier apparently.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Don't see why it should be tbh. The Japanese speak English with a Japanese twang anyway. It's the fundamentals, grammar, vocab etc that they're after rather than sounding like a member of the English upper middle classes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom