thinking of getting daoc

synsyyty

Fledgling Freddie
hi all just a word

im thinking of getting daoc today and was wondering what the server states are and which would be best for a newb

have a history of eq eq2 wow l2 and at the moment am in archlord which is a might boring so any answers would be welcome

thanks syn

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
I personally think go to Excal Server as its, in my opinion, still great fun.

Like all games forums Freddyshouse is rife with whiners and doomsayers so dont listen to them, they been broadcasting the death of the game for longer than i can remember

Gamah

Banned
Sparx said:

Like all games forums Freddyshouse is rife with whiners and doomsayers so dont listen to them, they been broadcasting the death of the game for longer than i can remember

Yeah but we both know the death of Euro English DAOC is looming closer than ever.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Gamah said:
Yeah but we both know the death of Euro English DAOC is looming closer than ever.
LIES! They haven't even peaked yet! Just wait and see Gamsy ;)

Go get it, start on mid on the english cluster.. If you want an easy character to lvl I'd suggest a bonedancer or a valkyrie which are both pretty easy to lvl and are very common in the PvP you see in todays daoc, but play what you want ofc :D

Just don't roll albion.. We are too many and you'll get whined at alot if you roll any caster really :)

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Gamah said:

Yeah but the same can be said for driving a car, it loses value the second it leaves the showroom. Thats not to say it wont last 10 years

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
I would suggest thinking about going to the US servers, there you could choose to play on the classic servers, which have a hell of alot more population than the EU english servers do even during their off-peak hours. Classic servers would also imo be a good choice for a beginner, alot less complicated with less to do.

also US servers have double XP atm in some areas, so it would make lvling faster.

Varmuus

One of Freddy's beloved
Sparx said:

Ever since DAoC went gold in Europe I believe... ;)

Gamah said:

As well as tomorrow and day after that and day after that etc etc etc...

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
roll US - you will find people to group and level with :) EUR daoc is as dead as a dodo for levelling n00bs

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Thanks to all the idiots suggesting to go US, you are really helping the euro servers population, well done.

Now p*ss off to VN and join your fellow yanks will you, and leave us in peace if you like it there so much.

Varmuus

One of Freddy's beloved
rampant said:
EUR daoc is as dead as a dodo for levelling n00bs

Oooooohhhh, do I sense supremacy here? As playing it in US automatically makes you better player or more pr0?

C'mon, gimme a break and sod back off to US servers and let us even try having some new playerbase playing here too.

F**king :wanker:

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
Varmuus said:
Oooooohhhh, do I sense supremacy here? As playing it in US automatically makes you better player or more pr0?

C'mon, gimme a break and sod back off to US servers and let us even try having some new playerbase playing here too.

i think he was just using "levelling n00bs" as a collective meaning someone new to the game, lvling from scratch, and thus was offering sound advice in that on the US they are much MUCH more new guy friendly when it comes to lvling/grouping and the such.

sling insults around all you want, but its no lie to say its easier to start from scratch in the US on the classic (new guy friendly) servers.

or would you suggest he joins glastonbury and plays with the other 5 people there?

Varmuus

One of Freddy's beloved
Neffneff said:
sling insults around all you want, but its no lie to say its easier to start from scratch in the US on the classic (new guy friendly) servers.

or would you suggest he joins glastonbury and plays with the other 5 people there?

Rather I'd take it as an insult that european servers aren't even given a chance!

Might be true, I'm not part of US community, I don't have account there, so I really can't tell about the friendliness of the ppl there. According to numbers, it could be yea.

And toss the sarcasm please refering to Excal population :p It really isn't even anywhere near doing RvR with 30 ppl to few hundred :p At least Excal/Pryd cluster is RvRable, quite ooposite to Glaston.

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Having played EU daoc for 4 years (Pryd, Excal and Glaston) I've just moved to classic US and it's a breath of fresh air. THe best advice I can give to a new starter is to try US servers first, especially if you want to play classic. I know this doesn't help the EU servers much, but would you rather someone played US servers for two years, or EU servers for 2 months?

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
old.Whoodoo said:
Thanks to all the idiots suggesting to go US, you are really helping the euro servers population, well done.

Now p*ss off to VN and join your fellow yanks will you, and leave us in peace if you like it there so much.

so u would rather he buy the game - then spend several weeks playing with himself - not have anyone to level with - getting bored sh*tless and then not bothering to resubscribe - yea great way to go...

Or would you rather he got money and help from people here - then get powerlevelled to lvl50 - then goes out to rvr and gets his arse kicked to him because he isnt of a high enough rr / well equipped or understand his chars- so once again he quits

OR he plays in the US - gets levelling on servers which have more population - maybe staying for a bit longer than he would on EU servers...

for someone who is an E&E you are talking a load of balls!

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
Varmuus said:

you sound like you are in denial - fyi i dont play on US servers, but if i was starting out as a level 1 player i wouldnt want to do it on EUR servers with NO levelling groups.

Reformed

Banned
Having played EU daoc for 4 years (Pryd, Excal and Glaston) I've just moved to classic US and it's a breath of fresh air. THe best advice I can give to a new starter is to try US servers first, especially if you want to play classic. I know this doesn't help the EU servers much, but would you rather someone played US servers for two years, or EU servers for 2 months?

Does make you think for sure. I have tried the EU classic server here and well - it is dead. Logged into Thid about 6 x at various times of the day to find it utterly deserted. I might well move to the US servers myself to be honest.

A good Mid alt for a classic server is the Thane. I specced mine full spells and high shield. A real nice alt and has a great con/str buff. Against other unbuffed players he should be great. As for levelling and being solo I always look for the areas where tinderboxes are dropped. These help enormously with levelling especially if you are a big fat twoll with high hits. Currently level 39 on my Thane and using boxes that heal each tick for 60. Soon gets you up and running again.

MadsKaizer

Fledgling Freddie
old.Whoodoo said:

fact is, that for a new player, EU aint a good place to start, there are slim to none exsp groups throughout levels, on us classic, there is enough players around all levels that you can easily build a group and go exp.

and US got somewhat lower eliteness attitude

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Gamah said:
Funny to see the people above in denyal :p
Well, no wonder the population are going down, when people tell the new ones, that there is no use joining the EU servers, and rather go US or some other random MMORPG!

Seriously, the ones that doesnt play this game anymore, just piss off. Theres still lots of fun, and if you decide to join Albion I'll gladely give any new players some help! Just PM "Caiora(Prydwen)" inngame!

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
Chosen said:
Seriously, the ones that doesnt play this game anymore, just piss off.

I still play cluster.

doesnt make the fact that US has a higher, nicer population, with alot more to offer a new player than EU.

Esoteric

Fledgling Freddie
The Euro servers have had their time, I am an mmo journalist/press and know a thing or too.

It's not doom saying but for someone "new" to the game they should play in the US so they have some people to meet and play with while levelling, which strangely enough should be the norm for an mmo.

Req is doing a great job under very difficult circumstances representing a company which has well in my opinion mis-managed the Euro servers over time. They aren't the first and won't be the last. Online gaming is becoming so competitive now a company cannot afford to screw up.

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Neffneff said:
I still play cluster.

doesnt make the fact that US has a higher, nicer population, with alot more to offer a new player than EU.
Just leave for US then, and leave the EU servers alone. I won't miss you!

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
Chosen said:
Just leave for US then, and leave the EU servers alone. I won't miss you!

with people like you around, i think i may do just that :) I dont understand why people get so sensitive about other people giving sound advice instead of misleading them into buffering their own gameplay.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
It isn't hard to understand that the US is more 'newbie friendly'.

Unless you've got friends currently on EU or alot of people who are willing to level with you, your best bet is to sadly go to the US.

legar

Loyal Freddie
US servers by far.. for english speaking servers the us is the only viable option left atm.. and thats dropping fast aswell

synsyyty

Fledgling Freddie
i think that i may well give europe servers a chance first

that said i would rather it be the most populated if there is such a thing

just a thought as it sounds like the game needs a few players

tho anyone playing archlord at the mo should give it up and come make a community lol that game is sooo shite it hurt me to play it

lol

may see you soon

synsyyty is on the horizon

cheers syn

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Don't forget you can download a trial for both Syn - give them both a go and see where you feel most comfortable.

Have to admit that even though I've been an Euro player from day one and loved all of it, if someone asked me for advice on whether to go US or EU I'd send them over the pond.

A selfless act to let them get the most enjoyment, really.

synsyyty

Fledgling Freddie
do you get a chance to play either on sign up and can you switch or are you stuck with your region choice?

just a thought?

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
synsyyty said:
do you get a chance to play either on sign up and can you switch or are you stuck with your region choice?

just a thought?

Your account is locked to either EU or US but as I said, you can always get a a trial for either of the two sets of servers and try them both. Essentially having two accounts : a USA and a Euro.

You may need some advice on how to make the client point to the correct servers but I'll leave that to someone who knows the correct and easiest method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom