Thinking about getting Daoc....

A

Alpine_99

Hey

Im thinking about buying Daoc. I have been looking for a game that suites me and I think this one may be it. I have previosly played WoW and Guild wars and im am 15.

Im wondering...

1. Is there good open PvP?
I hated the instanced pvp in wow and although guildwars pvp was in depth and great I just could not get into since it was all instanced.

2.Will this game take up all of my time?
I am a highschool student and play on 2 sports teams, I got addicted to Wow a couple years back and don't want that to happen again.

3. Is it possible to jump right into Pvp Combat
In wow it took me months to get my character level 60 and ready for pvp, by the I was ready for some pking the pvp system had already been destroyed

4. How does Realm vs Realm work?

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
Welcome potential realmpointcow.. I mean new player! ;)

1. Honestly DAoC has the best pvp (we call it RvR which stands for Realm vs Realm) in the market atm. Sadly it's just about the only thing keeping DAoC alive.
2. Yes it will. To get your character ready for RvR you're looking at weeks of pve... months if you're going to do it solo without a decent guild.
3. Yes and no ... you can get into the Battlegrounds at 20... but frankly if you want the real deal you're looking at a grind ... not nearly as long as in WoW but still pretty bad.
4. Waaaay to complicated to explain so I'll be lazy and point you to some guides: RvR Manual, New Frontiers Guide.

Hope it helps.

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
1. Yes there's only open "pvp" no instance pvp.
2. Yes, if you want to compete it takes up quite some time.
3. You need(ofc everyone has different opinions about this) Level 50, ML10, CL5 and a full template and some would even say you need rr5+ to compete, took me 3 weeks but if you are new to the game it can take up a couple of months...
4. RvR (Realm vs Realm) basically means you got 3 realms (Albion, Midgard and Hibernia) and they are enemies and have to fight it out (take eachother keeps/towers and kill eachother), This happends in NF (New frontiers) so you can PvE in peace and decide to go RvR(pvp) when you are ready or when you want to although in NF most people are level 50 and templated while you also have BG's (battlegrounds) for lower level players.

Kuhan

Loyal Freddie
Alpine_99 said:
Hey

Im thinking about buying Daoc. I have been looking for a game that suites me and I think this one may be it. I have previosly played WoW and Guild wars and im am 15.

Im wondering...

I hated the instanced pvp in wow and although guildwars pvp was in depth and great I just could not get into since it was all instanced.

I am a highschool student and play on 2 sports teams, I got addicted to Wow a couple years back and don't want that to happen again.

In wow it took me months to get my character level 60 and ready for pvp, by the I was ready for some pking the pvp system had already been destroyed

proberly the worst game u can start at

lvling grind - so much down time
then get TOA ML 1 - 10 - more down time
DR weapon - more down time
CL quests - boring
get items for template - also stressful

once all that is done u can go RvR and get zerged

about sums it up !

daoc ! :england:

edit : second account to compete !

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Kuhan said:
proberly the worst game u can start at

lvling grind - so much down time
then get TOA ML 1 - 10 - more down time
DR weapon - more down time
CL quests - boring
get items for template - also stressful

once all that is done u can go RvR and get zerged

about sums it up !

daoc ! :england:

edit : second account to compete !

Thats a bit unfair tbh. Sure, it takes alot of time, granted that you don't have a lot of people to help you out. Get a nice guild, make some friends and DAoC can be many months/years worth of fun.

Regarding threadstarters questions:

1. The RvR system in DAoC is the best one out on the market atm if you ask me. The main PvP(RvR) is in a huge outdoor frontier that all 3 Realms have access too. The landscaped is varied and there are various keeps and towers spread across the frontier.

2. It depends really, if you are planning to level up and get sorted for RvR all by yourself you are looking at a really hard and frustrating load of work. Getting a nice guild and some friends is essential when leveling up. Sadly many people fail to get in contact with other players and give up already at low level, this is one of the main problems with DAoC population atm. Also depends on how much you want with the game, if you want to be able to compete in top level RvR you need to get alot of stuff done.

3. As mentioned above, to be able to compete at top level RvR you need to sort out items and various other things such as master level raids etc. Get some help and it won't be hard, getting sorted all by yourself, probably impossible.

4. 3 Realms is in an everlasting struggle for dominance, each realm, Midgard, Hibernia and Albion own Keeps and Towers in the frontiers and these are capturable. There is also alot of open spaces where groups of players battle it out and where epic battles take place. Personally I think the RvR aspect is what makes DAoC a great game. Truely a great concept.

Much repeating what others said but hopefully it was some help in it.

Kuhan

Loyal Freddie
Coldbeard said:
Thats a bit unfair tbh. Sure, it takes alot of time, granted that you don't have a lot of people to help you out. Get a nice guild, make some friends and DAoC can be many months/years worth of fun.

Regarding threadstarters questions:

1. The RvR system in DAoC is the best one out on the market atm if you ask me. The main PvP(RvR) is in a huge outdoor frontier that all 3 Realms have access too. The landscaped is varied and there are various keeps and towers spread across the frontier.

2. It depends really, if you are planning to level up and get sorted for RvR all by yourself you are looking at a really hard and frustrating load of work. Getting a nice guild and some friends is essential when leveling up. Sadly many people fail to get in contact with other players and give up already at low level, this is one of the main problems with DAoC population atm. Also depends on how much you want with the game, if you want to be able to compete in top level RvR you need to get alot of stuff done.

3. As mentioned above, to be able to compete at top level RvR you need to sort out items and various other things such as master level raids etc. Get some help and it won't be hard, getting sorted all by yourself, probably impossible.

4. 3 Realms is in an everlasting struggle for dominance, each realm, Midgard, Hibernia and Albion own Keeps and Towers in the frontiers and these are capturable. There is also alot of open spaces where groups of players battle it out and where epic battles take place. Personally I think the RvR aspect is what makes DAoC a great game. Truely a great concept.

Much repeating what others said but hopefully it was some help in it.

but tbh do you really thing english servers have a year left in them?

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
My advice is to roll on the US classic server cluster
Even at EU/UK peak play times there are 500+ in each realm

Guilds are easy to come by, and people are very friendly

You can get a 14 day free trial on US servers also

http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/downloads/

Kuhan

Loyal Freddie
Aiteal said:
My advice is to roll on the US classic server cluster
Even at EU/UK peak play times there are 500+ in each realm

Guilds are easy to come by, and people are very friendly

You can get a 14 day free trial on US servers also

http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/downloads/

only problem is you need a credit card but apart from that US servers are alot better to start on cause of the population

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
Kuhan said:
but tbh do you really thing english servers have a year left in them?

People have been predicting daoc's death for 3 years now ... and every year it survives... frankly daoc has about 3/4 years left in it .. sure in the end it will just be the die-hards left but a year is a very very grim estimate.

Dest

Fledgling Freddie
Alpine_99 said:

If you dont want that to happend again stay away. If you got hooked on wow chances are pretty big it will happend again. It will require an enourmous amount of time to start from scratch with daoc and be able to compete in realm vs realm combat which is considered the end game.

eble

Fledgling Freddie
Pirkel said:
People have been predicting daoc's death for 3 years now ... and every year it survives... frankly daoc has about 3/4 years left in it .. sure in the end it will just be the die-hards left but a year is a very very grim estimate.

I recall people saying WOW would kill DAOC for sure, granted it didn't but and its a big one it halfed the playerbase, the EU English server is in a pretty bad way now to be honest and there is no way back, regardless of what might be done, except maybe for one thing, if the all powerful EA'Mythic advertised it 'may' bring new players to the game.

Its a hard sell for sure as this game is considered really old and out of date now and I'm doubtful that would even stop the player decline.

Lets not forget EA hold the purse strings now and they wont keep the servers open just becuase a few 100 people want to play them, WAR is coming and the monies headed that way as will a lot of the remaining DAOC players.

Were all ready for something new and the promise of PVP on par or better than DAOC might just be the ticket.

Eble

And if you think nothings wrong with the English EU server then look for me in the queue waiting to fight the next mib/alb getting off the boat at Crauch I'll be the ranger in all red third in line after the RR8 NS and rr10 Hero.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Alpine_99 said:
Yes, DAoC still has the best PvE in the game, there is top level RvR for when you are kitted out and ready to rumble, but more imprtantly there are battlegrouds, set up in 5 level intervals where you get to grips with fighting real ppl. This action starts at around level 24, Thidranki, where you will fight against other level 24s only in a nice fair environment.

All MMOs will Im afraid, its the nature of the genre to be time consuming, only self restraint will prvent adiction! hehe. Seriously though, its not so much the game as the friends you make who will keep you in any game.

There are lowbie battlegrounds, but they are not terribly populated, the 20-24 one is the first and best area you will get into :)
Instead of bad vs good, light vs dark theres 3 equal factions, Alb Mid and Hib, who are seperated by 3 seas, they are all a bit annoyed at each and for several histoical reasons feel the urge to batter the crap out of each other on a regular basis. To get to each others territory, theres boats that speed you there, or a strange island that popped up one patch with bridges...but its a long walk. Each realm has keeps and towers, if an enemy captures a keep, they maybe able to use itto "port" straight into, we call it IRvR (insta), and some hate it, most dont tho. Then god said let there be light, and the light was good, then came the electicity bill, and that wasnt so good.

Simple answer, get he trial, make a friend and get the tour, theres soooo much to see :)

Oh, and dont listen to anyone who says "doooooomzoooor" about the game with the name "Camlann" in their sig, long story but take it as good advice.

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
eble said:
I recall people saying WOW would kill DAOC for sure, granted it didn't but and its a big one it halfed the playerbase, the EU English server is in a pretty bad way now to be honest and there is no way back, regardless of what might be done, except maybe for one thing, if the all powerful EA'Mythic advertised it 'may' bring new players to the game.

Its a hard sell for sure as this game is considered really old and out of date now and I'm doubtful that would even stop the player decline.

Lets not forget EA hold the purse strings now and they wont keep the servers open just becuase a few 100 people want to play them, WAR is coming and the monies headed that way as will a lot of the remaining DAOC players.

Were all ready for something new and the promise of PVP on par or better than DAOC might just be the ticket.

Eble

And if you think nothings wrong with the English EU server then look for me in the queue waiting to fight the next mib/alb getting off the boat at Crauch I'll be the ranger in all red third in line after the RR8 NS and rr10 Hero.

Never said nothing was wrong with the EU servers ... nor did I say they never took big hits... I'm just saying that DAoC won't be dead in a year just because people say so ... because if "people" had been right Mythic/GOA would have gone bust loooong ago in stead of working on one of the most anticipated MMO's of the moment.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Pirkel said:
Never said nothing was wrong with the EU servers ... nor did I say they never took big hits... I'm just saying that DAoC won't be dead in a year just because people say so ... because if "people" had been right Mythic/GOA would have gone bust loooong ago in stead of working on one of the most anticipated MMO's of the moment.
WAR is actually the most anticipated MMO out there :D

eble

Fledgling Freddie
Pirkel said:

Sorry I didn't mean to aim anything at 'you' as such, DAOC wont be dead in a year I dont think, after WAR is released the playerbase will take a hit as alot of people will want to know what Mythic did to RVR in WAR.

I think personally the whole WAR (lots of new players) and Mythic RVR will be a big hit or at least I hope so, if WAR sux then players might return, but I always ask myself if WOW wasn't that good why didn't the DAOC numbers rebound?

Currently there are more people on the German classic server than the English cluster, I guess the english players have got bored and moved on.

My main concern with the servers wont be closed for years thing is (Someone who knows please speak up) EA closed a MMO before when it still had a few 1000 people playing it, sorry I cant remember the name now, but it doesn't bode well for if WAR is a big hitter.

Eble

eble

Fledgling Freddie
God it took some searching but found this :

02-07-2006, 02:37 AM
I was just woundering seeing as how Codemasters are taking on more and more games. I was wondering if Codmasters might ever go after EA's Earth and Beyond. The game was a great idea ,but after EA took over westwood they quickly killed it with no updates and bad service. Even with that there was still 20,000 to 25,000 subscribers. With the right care and advertizing this game could once again be great. I know that there is still a very large amount of people out there that still want to play it and if up graded it would be even better.

Just wondering if this might ever happen. I'm guessing not ,but it never hurts to ask. Besides from what I read EA's having money problems now and it would be the perfect time to snag the rights.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

check out this its people still trying to get Earth and Beyond re-instated after 2 years being closed... http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=21052

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Svartmetall said:
DAOC got advertised in Germany.
there's also no US servers to split the german-speaking community ;)

for a quick RvR/pvp fix - get to 20 and go to Thidranki :)

take a break from the monster splatting...

Theoretically you can go to battlegrounds/stuff from level 1 but there's rarely anyone to kill.

Esoteric

Fledgling Freddie
If your gonna play daoc to start with or again I'd consider going to the states. The clustered classic has 3000 people on Euro prime time.

Im considering starting up over there again because of the amount of fun some friends are having.

Tuppe

Fledgling Freddie
hmm allso, maybe? worth to check vids peeps have made.
offcourse its highlights from game/players rvr etc but get feeling how its looking and played.
sadly from US servers but got idea anyway

http://camelotvault.ign.com/

left side is bar where under VIDEOS you can choose what type videos you want check
""""""""""""""""""
Videos
- Submit a Video!
- Newest Additions
Cinematics & Humor
(PVE) Catacombs
(PVE) Classic DAoC
(PVE) Darkness Rising
(PVE) Shrouded Isles
(PVE) Trials of Atlantis
(RVR) Battlegrounds
(RVR) New Frontiers
(RvR) Old Frontiers
"""""""""""""""""

game is still going nice, just get inside active guild, here you can get help and advice how to do things smooth whitout hassle.
wellcome.

ps. over 4y behind this game

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
From a new starter point of view I would probably head off to the US classic servers. Has a slightly more casual play style than the Euro servers. Most of the Battle ground's have around 1-20 people in at most times the busy ones upto 60+.

With the up comeing expansion there should be enough to keep you interested on a classic server with out it takeing up all your time.

As this is your fist charecter I would try to stick towards a caster style toon since they tend to be abit easier to level due to being no so equipment dependent. Items aren't bind on equip in DAOc so its easy to farm stuff in with a high level toon to kit out your lowbies.

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Garok said:
From a new starter point of view I would probably head off to the US classic servers. Has a slightly more casual play style than the Euro servers. Most of the Battle ground's have around 1-20 people in at most times the busy ones upto 60+.

With the up comeing expansion there should be enough to keep you interested on a classic server with out it takeing up all your time.

As this is your fist charecter I would try to stick towards a caster style toon since they tend to be abit easier to level due to being no so equipment dependent. Items aren't bind on equip in DAOc so its easy to farm stuff in with a high level toon to kit out your lowbies.

Good advice, I'd add that you shouldn't go a healer style character as you'll find it impossible to level.

don't just into the first guild that randomly invites you, get to know someone in the guild first.

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
Esoteric said:
If your gonna play daoc to start with or again I'd consider going to the states. The clustered classic has 3000 people on Euro prime time.

Im considering starting up over there again because of the amount of fun some friends are having.

Advising new people to go to a classic server is harsh and mean mate ... finding out you don't like TOA and then moving is NOT the same as never having the chance and only finding this out after you hit 50 and no-one told you you were on a server with a lot less content.

Dr_Evil

Fledgling Freddie
Watch the videos on this site: http://camelot-europe.goa.com/en/

There are both old and new, for almost each expansion and they're all made in-game ofc unlike other games' vidoes. It shows a lot from both pve and rvr.

Edit: Click Gallery > Videos

The Goa Trailer and the Mythic Trailer are the best ones as they're the complete ones, the others just show what you get in the different expansions.

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
Pirkel said:
Advising new people to go to a classic server is harsh and mean mate ... finding out you don't like TOA and then moving is NOT the same as never having the chance and only finding this out after you hit 50 and no-one told you you were on a server with a lot less content.

Community and fun are much more important than content.
The US classic servers have both by the bucketful.

I still play excal because my guildies are there and I miss talking shite with them.
But the US servers are relaxed, friendly and fun.
And I thank god I'll never have to see another buffed ML9 pet as long as I play there

Dr_Evil

Fledgling Freddie
Advice to the new player

Btw I advice to try the Thidranki Battleground for a while (the level20-24 rvr zone). When you hit level 24 type /xp so you won't earn more xp before you decide to type /xp again. This way you will stay in Thidranki as long as you want, because when you ding lvl25 you will be kicked out and have all the way to lvl40 before you get to the next populated Battleground called Leirvik. It's much easier to learn and earn realm points in the battlegrounds for beginners (compared to the Frontiers) so it's definitely the best place to start the learning curve.

Maybe even level multiple characters to 24 so you can try some different ones before deciding to move on. It only takes about 2-5 days max to get to that level (depending on how much you play each day). In Thidranki you will get a chance to meet lots of people and get some friends and even find a guild to join.

When you finally decide to move on and level to 40 for the next battleground, you might then have a guild to help you with equipment and maybe they have some characters to that they plan to level from 24 to 40, who can join you in the levelling process.

When you hit level 40+, there's Leirvik (40-44) and Cathal Valley (45-49) battlegrounds that you can stay in until you hit Realm Rank 5, and you can get most Artifacts before you're level 49. I tell you this because it's extremely hard (if not impossible) to compete in the Frontier (for level 50s) if you haven't spent a lot of time learning how to play your character in RvR (PvP).

If you decide to learn RvR the hard way and go all the way to 50 without visiting a single battleground, you will meet a lot of frustration when you head out in the Frontiers. Even if you have the best equipment the game can offer, you will still be chanceless as the equipment won't play the character for you. Know that it takes months of play to get really good at it, and even after years there might still be room for improvement. (Ofc some classes have it easier than others.)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Sorry - but what do you mean by EA holds the purse strings ? Did they take over GOA / Mythic or something ? Been out of game for year+

Esoteric

Fledgling Freddie
Pirkel said:

In my humble opinion TOA ruined RVR, it is a mammoth step for a company to launch a server without one of their expansion packs and a huge admission of a screw up.

I don't think I am being mean or harsh by recommending a classic server to someone. If I started fresh I wish someone would advise me the same. Also there is nothing stopping someone from rolling on the normal servers and seeing what they liked. People generally are individuals he/she and anyone else will make up their own minds from advice given.

I was adding my two pennies as asked by the OP.

The "fun" for me in daoc and the "content" is in RvR not the PvE though in the early days I did enjoy the dragon or sidi once in a while. However TOA obliterated that joyful picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom