Think about it...

K

Keri

Originally posted by old.0xygen
As long as YOU have fun who cares? If its not fun anymore stop. If u cant stop your addicted.

I spend most of my free time on the computer, I do have friends but they all live so gawd damn far away I usually only see them in school, pop round to their houses from time to time.

The day I stop having fun is when I know its time to stop but at 16 hey I'm enjoying the ride so why stop?

/em pats young Oxygen on the head.

Hang on to that thought young one, before too long you will be an adult. When you are, you will understand that your own enjoyment is not the only thing you have to consider. :)

S

starblade

"consider seeking the help of a professional counselor or therapist who is trained in addiction problems"

Says Doktor Aule, the man who bubbled pbt at witherwoode's for, what was it, 8 to 10 hours ? :p

But hell, you're one of the reasons I like playing ... always have fun verbal fights over DAoC :) It's like Rei says ... people often make the game. I can have as much fun playing and chatting along with people in this game as I have going out with my friends or and playing with the band ... well ... almost ... after all nothing beats a stagediving crowd irl ;)

O

old.LandShark

Originally posted by Sarum TheBlack
If you can't make sensible posts about a serious subject folks, don't bother posting. Game addiction IS very real, and in some cases IS a very big problem. So don't mock it.

Yes, but do we really need MORE posts about it? Getting a little old now...

R

rynnor

If a person has an addictive personality type then I cant think of a less destructive addiction than Daoc.

Consider how many people who go to the Gym become addicted to exercise - its a physically and mentally destructive path that can lead to steroid abuse and in extreme cases death (least thats my excuse for not going :)

Caffeine and fags are the most popular forms of addiction in Europe and both are more destructive than Daoc.

Lets not be silly about this - of course Mythic want you to enjoy the game and subscribe for ages but its not really in their interests that you play all day...

O

old.job

Addiction!!!!
This is just the beginning folks.
These first MMORPG'S are the first tentative steps towards an alternative reality.

Does anyone here watch Voyager and think to themselves
'wouldn't it be better to fuck RL off and spend the rest of your days in the Holodeck'
I sure would, the Holodeck represents the ultimate MMORPG.
In the future people will drop their, unreliable, short lived, not always attractive bodies, to go and visit a virtual world, where they can see what they want, be what they want.
A world where no matter what happens ,you can always get a res.
When the technology finally exists this world will be as real as the one we have to put up with now.
I may be a bit out there, but I believe that should be the ultimate goal of the human race, visit other worlds? why? just send a probe gather the info and download the expansion pack.

Andromeda Galaxy, explore 100 billion solar systems, patching tomorrow :)

S

Saturnine

What happens when 2 people go into a Holodeck and walk in opposite dierections....

I

inuyasha

addiction :D

People get seriosly addicted, play til they realise its wrong, and then start rethinking their lives....

Some people need to go through it, and no lifes that is addicted to games only goes too far to be able to save again :D

I was deadly addicted when i was 13, i still play at 18 but could quit today if i wanted too :D

U

ulukin

Originally posted by rynnor
If a person has an addictive personality type then I cant think of a less destructive addiction than Daoc

Wholeheartedly agree with that I've had serious problems with addiction from the age of ten, its cost me relationships, money and almost my life and eventually my good health.

I would say I am addicted to DAoC but compared to my previous addictions this costs me very little except for my time and on odd ocasions little rows with family and my GF.

I do feel i'll always have an addiction of some sort or other and right now DAoC is that addiction but I feel the impact it has upon my life is far less destructive than anything else i've been addicted to.

I

inuyasha

hehe

Originally posted by old.Charonel

my advice, if your REALLY addicted to this, uninstall the game one night and keep it that way for a week, just get on with life during this time, after that reinstall it and go back in, just see the difference in how it feels, it may well be quite surprising, and you may not even go back at all...

That wont work :D
BUT random cutting of electricity lines, internett down or random deletion other ways work great, i quitted EverQuest that way. Anarchy was NO problem quitting at ALL, but DAoC actually survived two breaks i have had on about a month each, so i guess daoc just plain owns :D

Still Charonel...you dont play at ALL anymore, we MISS you!
Come back :bazbeer: You need a little more addiction

G

gengi

I looked at the site and especially at the graphical representations of the subjects responses. From those graphs it would appear that only 20% of players are at risk and of those only 5% at high risk. Further delving indicated that it is younger players who spend large amounts of time on the game who are most at risk. This to me gives some perspective, possibly, and this is just a thought, the high risk group is kids who are left to their own devices more than is good for them ? So yes they may be addicted to the game, but the addiction could well disappear if an adult took a little bit more interest in their lives.
This was a fairly cursory glance over the site and possibly, if I was a psychologist I may have gleaned a different interpretation.

Have a nice day

:D

Gengee

S

Sarum TheBlack

Originally posted by old.LandShark

Yes, but do we really need MORE posts about it? Getting a little old now...

Hey, I posted that last time we had this debate.. if you wanna complain about people ressurecting the thread.. tag one of their quotes :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom