Things you miss/dont see anymore

Marc

FH is my second home
Oranges at half time during footy.
White Dogshit.
Grolsh Bottle Tops on your trainers.
Jazz mags in parks (the older ones on here will know what time talking about)
When E's were E's, were £15 a pop and not shite, aimed at middle class students
Roller skates

any more?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Awesome thread ! White dogshit ROFL - so true

Lets see...

- when you could go into a sweet shop and buy a load of sweets for 50p (going back to the late 70's here !)
- traditional telephones with the plastic dial and holes where you put your finger to dial
- going into a video shop (in the days of VHS) where you could look at the back of the horror films and see loads of gory nastiness (I'll never forget the back of Zombie Fleash Eaters seeing a guy nailed down to a wooden bench being ripped apart by zombies with knives)
- men smoking pipes
- people sitting in parks in all innocence just watching children play
- advertisements for cigarettes. Snooker players on TV puffing away at their table
- Wagon Wheels as big as your entire hand
- Tiswas
- When slapping a woman's bottom at work was just being a cheeky chappy
- cheap bus fares
- Jim'll Fix It

Marc

FH is my second home
- people sitting in parks in all innocence just watching children play

or people stood at their garden gate watching the world go by with a brew in hand.

Street parties, where EVERYONE used to join in
Playing out all day, from 8 am till 10pm
British Bulldog and Kerby!
Being scared shitless of your local bobby
Naff Naff jackets
Coca Cola/Fanta/Sprite spinners (yo-yos)
Dens out
Saying "Skill", like, I snogged emma last night, SKILL!
Arcade Machines in Kwik Save

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
- going round a mates house for a 24 hour beers & old fashioned role playing games (WFRP, MERP, Palladium, WH40K, Call of Cthulhu)
- being a kid opening your presents on Christmas Day
- carrying a pen knife / swiss army knife without having to worry about getting nicked
- proper thick fog that stays around all day
- long hot summers
- when you could play football in your road without worrying about getting run over
- playing conkers
- earwigs - you just don't see em anymore
- pound notes
- Wendy's - with their square burgers
- when bins were collected every week
- when first post letters hit your mat before 7.30am and 2nd post was late if it arrived at 1pm
- Dave Allen (Irish comedian with a finger missing)

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
-Bonanza bikes
-Sinclair Spectrums
-The Icecream man (*ring ring ring*)
-Tanks, aircrafts and plastic soldiers from Airfix or Revell
-MB TV ads
-Getting up at 4AM to watch a boxing match (getting up at that time was actually cooler than the fight!)
-Slime
-Merlin
-School holidays
-Arcade machines and arcade halls
-Being blown away by Star Wars space battles
-3 TV channels!!!
-Bontempi Organs and Korg Synthesizers
-Buying the latest vinyl album of your favourite band
-Music tapes!
-Recording music from the radio via said music tapes ... via microphone!
-Sharing software on 5 1/4" floppy disks
-Hole-punchers for named 5 1/4" floppy disks
-Ray Cokes and MTV when "M" stood for "music"
-The simplicity of the Cold War i.e. we and USA = good / USSR = evil
-The pathetically naive attemtps to break this simplicity
-Roller skates
-GOOD commedians (rep to Lamp for mentioning Dave Allen)
-Punks, Wavers and Goths.. the real ones, not the contemporary wannabees

Influenza

Part of the furniture
Secret chocolate bars
Blastaway (diamond white and castaway)
amiga 500
Proper rave music
Sitting next to this awesome lass called dorothy at school for 5 years , made school that much more bearable
XR3i's

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
or people stood at their garden gate watching the world go by with a brew in hand.

Street parties, where EVERYONE used to join in
Playing out all day, from 8 am till 10pm
British Bulldog and Kerby!
Being scared shitless of your local bobby
Naff Naff jackets
Dens out
Saying "Skill", like, I snogged emma last night, SKILL!
Arcade Machines in Kwik Save

You must be my age Marc, way too much of that is familair to me. :p

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Secret chocolate bars
amiga 500
Proper rave music
Sitting next to this awesome lass called dorothy at school for 5 years , made school that much more bearable
XR3i's

Lol, still see the odd chav about with a rusty as hell XR3I.. generally held together by glue and tape xD

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
- receiving letters

When was the last time you received a hand-written letter from someone ?

Ezteq

Queen of OT
I love letters! I love writing them (got a proper nice fountain pen) and love getting them, love going to the post box too!

Speaking of which... things I miss:

-being lifted up to push the button for the green man or to post a letter
-standing on the toilet to brush me teeth
-real proper saturday morning cartoons; not two 'presenters' flinging slime at eachother and yakking on and on about something inane
-going mushrooming (actual eaters not like magic ones) on an autumn morning in me wellies then coming home and making soup
-going blackberry (they are a fruit too not just a handset) picking or apple scrumping
-going trick or treating and carol singing and only knowing like 2 carols lol
- cartoon time with Rolf Harris (later tony robinson) and weekend cartoon matanees where you'd just be surfing through the 4 channels and wow a cartoon is about to start...then you realise... OMG its a double bill!!!
-noel edmonds on a saturday night (like noels roadshow or something) where people just were silly; not begging for you to vote for them while someone else with a hairstyle off frigging playmobile sits there and is rude for the sake of it.

Oh and btw white dogshit (and lamps subsequent comedy genius remark about the bnp leader ROFL!) is no longer about because now we actually pick it up and bin it rather than allowing it to lay and rot on the streets...however what we do get now rather than white dogshit are little bags of the stuff hanging from trees where they don't degrade and trees grow up round them incorporating them into their branches...

yes we truely are a much more evolved society! dog shit alone = biodegradable...but no! we cant leave it laying about, lets bag it in something that'll last 50 years! Ha thats much more environmentally sound!...omg anyone remember The Smoggies cartoon? hehe eco toonf rom the 80s about these little dudes with multi coloured hair and their enemies had a big polluting ship lol.

Marc

FH is my second home
Secret chocolate bars
amiga 500
Proper rave music
XR3i's

Blastaway!!!!! Fucking hell that used to be MINT!!!

MD20/20 anyone?

Marc

FH is my second home
You must be my age Marc, way too much of that is familair to me. :p

You do realise that British Bulldog and Kerby are not allowed to be played anymore dont you, due to health and safety issues.

Never did us any harm and we were always aware of what was around us.."CAR, CAR" lol

Marc

FH is my second home
We dont get white dogshit anymore because dog food doesnt have bones in it.

At least thats what the experts say

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
great thread :)

anglo bubbly

i second the proper rave music one, none of this happy trance drivvel.

listening to the top40 on a sunday night in total silence with my tape player, making mix tapes for myself :)

scrumping was ace

Thomas' arcade in Leicester, watching crazy chinese guys get 13523460 hit combos on Mortal Kombat and never managing it myself......

Ezteq

Queen of OT
rofl mix tapes!! yes and wasn't it always a pisser when you were taping a really good song and the DJ or commercials butted in over the end of it rofl....used to take my mix tape into school fresh on a monday morning and play it on my sony walkman (red and black one) that had those little sliders on the front that no one actually knew what they did lol and the ear phones had those foam covers on them and if your mate listened into it you'd have an ear bud each...but there's sometimes came back with earwax on it lol.

jeeesus the days before mp3!!

mooSe_

FH is my second home
You do realise that British Bulldog and Kerby are not allowed to be played anymore dont you, due to health and safety issues.

Never did us any harm and we were always aware of what was around us.."CAR, CAR" lol

You aren't allowed to do hardly anything like that anymore. When I was at primary school (not that long ago :p) as well as not being allowed to play bulldog we couldn't play a whole bunch of other games, we also weren't allowed to climb trees or go in the bushes (which had pathways through them due to years of previous children being allowed to go through them). I think I got told off for running a few times, in the playground! And I can only imagine it's got worse in the last 7 years or however long.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad

This so much.. My best spinner was a coca cola one and when it broke I cried for like 3 days straight

Never got one that got even close to being as good as that one :(

Aph3x

Part of the furniture
20/20 Odd fruity alcoholic drink, I remember going out for my 13th birthday and drinking that horrible crap!

Iron Bru Bars, Wham bars and choc lick, dunno if the last one was a northern thing tho

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom