Games They iz ripping off my stuffs!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Often heard this. "Wow clone!" "This is ripped off from X!" etc.

And every time it's in a negative tone.

I personally think that riping off should happen more often. If there's a good game mechanic, feature, or some such that works, use it. No need to invent the wheel again, and i bet 9 out of 10 players would enjoy a mechanic they liked in another game, to be in another, instead of some different new thing that might or might not work.

How many times hae you noticed a game has new ways to control a character, and at same time noted "Well this doesn't work"?

As an example; Saints row.

It's a blatant rip-off from GTA, no question about it, but damn it's a good game and it even beats what it rips off(taste there).

There is an inherit distaste for rip-offs in the game community, but i think it should change. Rip off things, go wild, make Doom clones and X-com copies.

What we should focus on is hating is a crappy game, not if it has good elements from other games.

Ofcourse this doesn't mean that people should stop inventing and coming up with innovative new ways to do things, not at all, but if you don't have a Wheel mrk II in your design, just use Wheel mrk I and concentrate on the other stuff instead of making Whheel mrk 2 that is forced in.

The only thing that should be in the disclaimer is that you don't just copy things. Add new things, build on the base, invent new stuff to go with the good'ol stuff.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
In most case, rip off is just a nastier was of saying 'influenced by...'

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Helme

Resident Freddy
While ripping off can be good - WoW is a perfect example of this, people use it mostly negatively because when they think of ripping off - they just think about the developer going "WoW has levels, we will have levels". They get the impression that the developers didn't actually look at WHY something worked in the other game, they just assumed that it would work in theirs as well.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I prefer originality. If I have played something once I don't really want to play a slightly different version having paid for it again. Clones just get incredibly boring. Look back to 2006 and the orange box - Half Life 2, Team Fortress 2 and Portal, which at the time was considered a freebie thrown in. Which got most acclaim?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
WoW rips a lot off from other games too, for the good imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom