they aint all bad :)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Thus giving the general public the impression that in certain circumstances throwing acid into somebody's face is a perfectly acceptable thing to do.

and imo it is. if someone thows acid in MY face i'd want to be able to do the same back.

"an eye for an eye" for the win tbh :)

need more countries to adopt this in their legal system.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Much as though sometimes we'd like to see it you have to rise above this sort of shit and act civilised.

Scary stuff.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Sadly it's no different than the Logic behind Capital Punishment

I disagree if you mean the logic behind western capital punishment is based on revenge - I think its more to do with the idea that committing certain crimes deems a person to be beyond rehabilitation, that once a person is sentenced to death they're judged to have no possible benefit to give to society as a whole and therefore not worth the money it would cost to keep them alive for a prison sentence.

Admittedly though, Obama said something about Capital punishment "being the means with which society can express its full outrage" - which would point more towards revenge. I guess its not a cut and dried topic, if such a thing exists :)

Sounds harsh, but I think the law should be based more on justice than revenge.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
thats not really the case tho is it ?
Think about it, when is capital punishment actually applied, as in wich circumstances ?
altho I can follow the logic behind your reasoning, looking at reality, what it boils down to is an eye for an eye.

fact is, I've never heard of someone being "in recent western history" sentenced to death for anything other than murder. I've never heard of phycological evaluations being taken into acount on the matter of sentencing life in prison or death. but however the degree of and magnetude of the crime.

so weather we like it or not, capital punishment in it's current state at least, boils down to..eye for an eye.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
fact is, I've never heard of someone being "in recent western history" sentenced to death for anything other than murder. I've never heard of phycological evaluations being taken into acount on the matter of sentencing life in prison or death. but however the degree of and magnetude of the crime.

so weather we like it or not, capital punishment in it's current state at least, boils down to..eye for an eye.

I can see what you're saying, but I dont think I agree - not everyone who commits a murder is sentenced to death - the death penalty might be the "maximum sentence" but its not the only one.

If it was purely an eye for an eye then anyone who was convicted of murder would surely face a death penalty?

I agree that the revenge bit does come into it somewhere, I just also think that it isn't entirely based on that :)

Olgaline

FH is my second home
I never made or insinuated the statement that it was the only possible sentence tied to a murder charge.

however, capital punishment is Only ever used when the crime commit is premeditated murder. surely, there are plenty other crimes out there, just as evil an hayness as murder, yet you'll never see capital punishment applied to them, infact i belive the law even states it has to be murder 1. "as they call it"

wich reverts back to....

Macey

Fledgling Freddie
Everything is wrong with revenge in those circumstances, revenge by its nature is something done in the heat of the moment, it doesn't take into consideration the future and general repercussions.

A loosely related example; The other day as I was walking home, a woman in a car pulls out of a parking space, cutting up a guy on a bike. Admittedly, it was a shocking piece of driving, but the guys response was terrible. He went absolutely mental, rammed his bike into her car, causing a fairly large dent in the bodywork, and then proceeded to chase her as she drove away shouting that he was going to follow her home (the rest of the threat was lost in engine noise)

Now, this guy could just be "that kind of person" in that hes prone to over react and suchlike. But, my view on it was that he was just angry in the heat of the moment and later would probably regret what he did.

Revenge, in my eyes, is a similar thing, its something that you do, without thinking, because in the heat of the moment you decide that you need retribution for what you have suffered. But given time, do you actually feel vindicated, does it actually satisfy you that you have made someone else suffer as you have?

Personally, the whole "eye for an eye" thing to me is senseless, I can't think of a single time in my life where I have consciously gone out to harm someone for something which they have done to me and then gone on to actually feel better about the whole situation as a result of it. Generally, it is the opposite which occurs, and you end up feeling like crap for what you have been subjected to, and then feeling guilty for lowering yourself to the level of the original perpetrator.

From a lot of the studies which I have read, the general consensus from people who have had their "justice" served by the death penalty do not actually feel better about what has happened. It doesn't alleviate the sense of loss, it does nothing to pervade a sense of justice having been served, how can the death of someone you don't know, every alleviate the loss of someone you have loved? In this case, how can knowing that the person who has blinded you will in turn be blinded, lead to you feeling any better about the fact that you now have to go through life without your sight, knowing that your face is scarred, and living with this supposed sense of fear? In my view, it is completely against reason that such "justice" as this, will ever improve society as a whole. Much better in my eyes, to put the perpetrator in prison, where he will have nothing but a tiny cell and his own company for weeks/months/years.

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
if someone killed me, I would cut off his balls.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
I never made or insinuated the statement that it was the only possible sentence tied to a murder charge.

however, capital punishment is Only ever used when the crime commit is premeditated murder. surely, there are plenty other crimes out there, just as evil an hayness as murder, yet you'll never see capital punishment applied to them, infact i belive the law even states it has to be murder 1. "as they call it"

wich reverts back to....

I never said that you'd said that either - I was just trying to phrase my argument in a logical statement.

Not convicted murderers get the death penalty, therefore if the death penalty is used as revenge then it is given out unequally among those convicted.

I agree with most of what you're saying, I just think that revenge isnt the only reason, or even the majority of the reason, that the death penalty is used.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Everything is wrong with revenge in those circumstances, revenge by its nature is something done in the heat of the moment, it doesn't take into consideration the future and general repercussions.

A loosely related example; The other day as I was walking home, a woman in a car pulls out of a parking space, cutting up a guy on a bike. Admittedly, it was a shocking piece of driving, but the guys response was terrible. He went absolutely mental, rammed his bike into her car, causing a fairly large dent in the bodywork, and then proceeded to chase her as she drove away shouting that he was going to follow her home (the rest of the threat was lost in engine noise)

Now, this guy could just be "that kind of person" in that hes prone to over react and suchlike. But, my view on it was that he was just angry in the heat of the moment and later would probably regret what he did.

As a fellow cyclist in London, that's not too far away from what I'd do. I probably wouldnt follow the driver home, I'd just get the reg and report them for being on their mobile while driving :flame:

nath

Fledgling Freddie
As a fellow cyclist in London, that's not too far away from what I'd do. I probably wouldnt follow the driver home, I'd just get the reg and report them for being on their mobile while driving :flame:
Pah. Get out of our roads you damned hippy. :D

Chilly

Balls of steel
meh I pay road tax and have a pink card so fu!

The REASON I'd go mental is because a tiny bit of innatention like that could cost me my life and the driver a ticking off. I think revenge is appropriate in cases where the magnitude of the ballsup is high enough. IE gordon brown being exiled to uganda, along with all the bank board members and FSA top dogs in london :)

Olgaline

FH is my second home
ah ok, I see what your saying,
well, sure it's not the only reason, and i didnt as such mean to portray it as such,
but i still "personally" view it as no better than the acid story.

simple fact is I dont see who it serves, or how one would justify it.
"if you belive killing is wrong and should be punished"..well ? you get the drift!

same with the acid, it wont give her her eye sight back, it wont change anything, all you'll be left with is one tragegy turned into two

Chilly

Balls of steel
AND the message to the rest of society that they had better not fucking try it. that's the main benefit here, dont forget.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
these things dont work as deterrents tho' thats been proven enough times..

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Nothing wrong with revenge at all and it clearly works, they have a very low crime rate out there. Western society is going down the toilet pretty fast and effectively which can mostly be blamed on idiot lefties and a blameless society. While a deterrent will not stop 100% of crime it will stop a hell of a lot more than a slap on the wrist and 2 months in Butlins (prison)

I am not saying personal freedoms should be lost but if you step out of line you should be dropped from a great height.

Anyway, this turd threw acid in someone's face because they didn't fancy him. I think he got off pretty leniently really.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
Nothing wrong with revenge at all and it clearly works, they have a very low crime rate out there.

Given their apparent penchant for inflicting physical harm as a punishment it's hardly suprising that they have a low crime rate. Perhaps we should start shooting anyone who commits a crime?

Western society is going down the toilet pretty fast and effectively which can mostly be blamed on idiot lefties and a blameless society. While a deterrent will not stop 100% of crime it will stop a hell of a lot more than a slap on the wrist and 2 months in Butlins (prison)

I am not saying personal freedoms should be lost but if you step out of line you should be dropped from a great height.

Or maybe we could be a little more constructive and actually look at increasing the level of deterrence imposed by the punishments we hand out without forgetting that basic human rights apply to everyone, even those we might think don't deserve any?

Anyway, this turd threw acid in someone's face because they didn't fancy him. I think he got off pretty leniently really.

Yes, what he did was terrible but I don't see how that gives anyone the right to throw acid in his face. I don't see that it achieves anything beyond reducing yourself to his level.

And at the end of the day the fact he thought that throwing acid at her was an acceptable way to deal with her refusal in the first place says a lot about the state of the society he lives in.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

Macey

Fledgling Freddie
You assume that he threw the acid in an act of aggression due to being a generally unpleasant person, yet if such a crime happened in the UK he would undoubtedly have been given a psychological analysis which would probably show that he is somewhat unbalanced. You can't presume to know all the facts based on what you read in a news story, especially not one with an agenda like the BBC.

Im sure someone will come back with some principle along the lines of "thats the problem with the british justice system, we're too soft on defendants, always looking for an excuse" or somesuch. But the reality is that defendants are ensured that treatment in this society because of the human rights which so many of you hark on about in every discussion quoting pro-free speech ideals etc. so you can't really then turn around and say "oh, but he doesn't deserve any rights, hes been naughty"

Also, with regards to prison, have you ever actually been inside a prison facility? A lot of people say that its easy and just a holiday these days, just because the news talks about cells having TV's and a few playstations here and there. Ive been to a few prisons through work and I can tell you for certain that I wouldnt think of it as a holiday if I was going to be put inside one.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
You assume that he threw the acid in an act of aggression due to being a generally unpleasant person, yet if such a crime happened in the UK he would undoubtedly have been given a psychological analysis which would probably show that he is somewhat unbalanced.

anyone throwing acid on someone for whatever reason is somewhat unbalanced imo. I don't think there are other ways, though perhaps horrible accident may count.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
anyone throwing acid on someone for whatever reason is somewhat unbalanced imo. I don't think there are other ways, though perhaps horrible accident may count.

Exactly, it demonstrates the absence of empathy.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

he wanted to marry her, she said no, he got offended. simple as :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom