There is a problem with your connection.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Ello all

Just getting back in to this game and for some reason finding that after 20 minutes playing - or there abouts - I get this, and it doesn't recover. Thing is, there isn't and as soon as I try to connect to a server again it works fine.

Different server each time so it's doubtful that it's the server going down, and it seems to happen after a similar length of time.

Most frustrating - any ideas?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
when I still played I used to get it on official EA servers :/ and on the freddyfield tbh, and I have no idea why. imo (and in my case) I'm 97% sure it's server side.

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
Its the 1.3 patch - its causing all kinds of connectivity problems. Not just server crashes, but the "Lost your connection" for 1 min then the game plays fine :S You know if its server side if you dont get the "Timed out" error message back at the server screen.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
It seems so bad now I think I'll play something else and wait to see if a newer patch fixes it in the future... Hoping COD 2 is okay, I've had it unwrapped for 3 months now. :)

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
I've discovered that you can fix this, if you have a dual core prossessor, by ctrl alt deleting out of the game once it's loaded and following the process of bf2 you change the affinity so it's only set to the one cpu instead of both. I've been playing for hours with no problems, not even the crashing on map load.

I never had this problem until I upgraded to a dual core prossessor by the way.

Seems a good enough fix untill they can patch it properly.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
hmm you may have a point there Mal. I've only ever had BF2 on an X2 cpu and thought the connection things were "normal netcode crap". I'll reinstall nad give it a go!

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Sorry to disappoint , but my son plays BF2 on a single core xp3000+, and hes gets this problem. Its so bad, it actually knocks my interent out too, because we share a router.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
That dual core trick didnt work for me. I tried the game again since getting the latest patch and my game is actually working! I'm playing it again now after having to leave it for a few months due to their poor coding and bad patches.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
I never used to get this problem, right up until last Friday. Now I have a dual core and windows xp sp2, neither of which I had before, and now it doesn't work properly unless I remove one of the affinities, then it's fine.

I also ran this thing: http://www.lvllord.de/ but that didn't fix it, or maybe the two combined fixed it?

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
KevinUK said:
That dual core trick didnt work for me. I tried the game again since getting the latest patch and my game is actually working! I'm playing it again now after having to leave it for a few months due to their poor coding and bad patches.

I'm guessing the coding is so bad that different fixes work for different setups, or not.

Athan

Resident Freddy
throdgrain said:
Sorry to disappoint , but my son plays BF2 on a single core xp3000+, and hes gets this problem. Its so bad, it actually knocks my interent out too, because we share a router.
:eek6:

So you're saying that something running on machine A, talking to a Server S out on the internet can cause problems with the router R that machine A goes through to access the internet, thus causing problems for machine B behind the same router as well?

You need a better router (although usually the kind of thing that will kill routers is more to do with Peer-to-Peer apps which cause a lot of connections to be made/broken quickly enough to fill up the connection tracking table in the router).

And as Maljonic intimated, it's probably more likely that all the various 'fixes' are just tweaking the timing of some race condition(s) so that it then works on that particular setup.

I really do wonder if QuakeWars will be sufficiently like BF(1942|2) to be a replacement AND decently coded as well.

-Ath

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
Just to add to the madness, I usually play using Teamspeak as well. When I get the problem message, not only does the game freeze, the TS client cant communicate with the server for the same amount of time. Its almost as if BF2 hoggs the whole connection bandwith. Either that or there is a disruption in my connection to my ISP, but I never had these problems until 1.3 :(

I'm assured that a clean install fixes most problems, but I havent the patience to try :(

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Athan said:
:eek6:

So you're saying that something running on machine A, talking to a Server S out on the internet can cause problems with the router R that machine A goes through to access the internet, thus causing problems for machine B behind the same router as well?

You need a better router (although usually the kind of thing that will kill routers is more to do with Peer-to-Peer apps which cause a lot of connections to be made/broken quickly enough to fill up the connection tracking table in the router).

And as Maljonic intimated, it's probably more likely that all the various 'fixes' are just tweaking the timing of some race condition(s) so that it then works on that particular setup.

I really do wonder if QuakeWars will be sufficiently like BF(1942|2) to be a replacement AND decently coded as well.

-Ath

Athan. No. The game knocks out the internet , its nothing to do with the router.its a reasonable Netgear router that has never ever had a problem with any games played , and has never lost connectivity for that matter either. Its that shit game BF2 doing it. See the post above, he has a very similar problem.
Its really a shame too tbh. If you consider what BF2 is, it could have been the best game ever from my perspective.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Edit above, Ive not really written that how I meant, but bugger it ... :)

Athan

Resident Freddy
Please define what you mean by the term 'the internet' in your post. The connection from PC to the router? Router out to the exchange?

If any application at the IP level is causing the ethernet, ATM, or DSL level to have a problem then that *is* a problem with your router/OS (well, ok, could be a problem with the exchange end of things, but that's still not going to be specific to any given IP-level application else there'd be 10,000s affected), not a problem with the application.

I am of course quite willing to admit that an implementation problem in either windows or a router could be triggered by a specific IP-level application. But that's just a cause, not where the blame lies.

Although Jeremiah does point a finger at a possible reason. It isn't "knocking out the internet", which implies actually causing the connection to go down, but may just be hogging all available bandwidth and thus causing the connection to be unuseable.

-Ath

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Athan said:
Although Jeremiah does point a finger at a possible reason. It isn't "knocking out the internet", which implies actually causing the connection to go down, but may just be hogging all available bandwidth and thus causing the connection to be unuseable.

-Ath

I think thats pretty much the case. And thats after patches and stuff too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom