Music The xx

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Whilst on my trip to Holland this past weekend TdC happened to put on an album that myself and Chilly thought was utterly brilliant. We had never heard of them but the lyrics and style of music certainly touched a nerve with me.

They are The xx. Has anyone else heard them? If so do you know of any other bands that have a similar style of music that I should listen to?

ps. The xx is currently on repeat in my house as i'm addicted.....

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Whilst on my trip to Holland this past weekend TdC happened to put on an album that myself and Chilly thought was utterly brilliant. We had never heard of them but the lyrics and style of music certainly touched a nerve with me.

They are The xx. Has anyone else heard them? If so do you know of any other bands that have a similar style of music that I should listen to?

ps. The xx is currently on repeat in my house as i'm addicted.....

They did another cover version of Florence and the machines cover of you got the love at Glastonbury it was pure garbage. However I have heard good things about their album.

Full Set

Just listened to their first song and it's decent however There final song is utter fucking garbage!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/glastonbury/2010/artists/thexx/

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Their music has been popular in teen programmes (s'why you've maybe not heard of them before now ;) ), but yeah their stuff is pretty deep.

gremlin

One of Freddy's beloved
Gah Tone, I put stuff from The XX on Facebook months ago! :p

Calaen: strangely I LOVE that Florence remix they did, improves on the original (cover) loads.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
glad you like them Deebsor matey :)

True story: I write for a music blog yes? First time I got to see The xx live, I left early because I thought they were shite. Later on, The xx album got voted album of the year 2009 on the blog, and ofc having listened to it often by then I had to agree (and was kicking myself that I hadn't given them the chance they deserved :/).

Zenith

Part of the furniture
Yeah, the XX is brilliant. Love the dynamic between the two voices, and the lyrics. Islands is my favourite.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
This thread clearly needs links to music videos so the rest of us can figure out what the hell you are on about.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Have to agree about Islands, it is my favourite of the album. Often have to listen to it a few times on repeat :)

Chilly

Balls of steel
That video is shit though. Imagine if the song was 5 minutes long!

YankMom

Fledgling Freddie
I was a little annoyed by the video, but couldn't stop watching it.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
weirdly enough the only xx song I have heard was a cover by Shakira. I liked it though.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Listening to the album right now, can't stop playing the damn thing. TdC you are teh suck! :p

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
I think VCR is my fave tune of theirs

I think they're really cool for just laid back listening.

M

eksdee

FH is my second home
great band, one of the few truly 'cutting edge' pop acts around and possibly one of the only bands of their ilk to really make it big in a long, long time. saying that, they really remind me of a lot of the more 'arty' 80s post-punk bands, in particular they at times bring to mind for me bands such as wire on their second album, chairs missing:

YouTube - Wire "Marooned"

as for other bands that sound similar (as someone asked previously in the thread, didn't check back to see who exactly), you could vaguely check out the following - though i stress, vaguely in quite a lot of these cases because, by their very nature, these kind of bands don't tend to sound like anyone else:

YouTube - Islands - Humans
islands - similar sound, ish. a lot more up-beat though.

YouTube - Múm - The ghosts you draw on my back
múm - similar feel, a little more etheral and weird. avoid any of the newer albums as the singer left the band and she kind of 'makes' (made) the band.

YouTube - Grouper - Heavy Water / I'd Rather Be Sleeping
grouper - again, a similar feel, if even more down-beat and less poppy/catchy tunes. more about a wash of sound than a coherent song with this band.

YouTube - Deerhunter - Nothing Ever Happened
deerhunter - apparently an 'ambient punk' band, not entirely where they got from that but they write some good tunes and are in a vaguely similar vein to the xx.

YouTube - Space Humping $19.99- Lifter Puller
lifter puller - more on the catchy side, driven by the drums and vocal hooks as the xx sometimes are in songs such as basic space. members went on to form the hold steady.

you may feel some of these are way off the mark, some are definitely tenuous. i was bored. ;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom