The Wild Geas!

noblok

Part of the furniture
He did visit these boards at the start of january, but didn't update :(.

Does that make me sound like an overly obsessed Roo-fan? I am though, it's a great story :).

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Just read through all this tonight at work (we were quiet :D)...

...excellent stuff, Roo. Consider yourself repped.

Phooka

Fledgling Freddie
This is soo gay..... i just read the whole story in bout 2 hours too find out it doesnt end QQ!!!! Great story mate, take your time too think of the ending it deserves.
( stop bugging the poor guy, you cant hurry geniusness :drink: )

Heraf

Fledgling Freddie
Got same problem as previous poster.

Just read all the storys, absolutely love them all. Hope to see the end of this one day

Phule_Gubben

Fledgling Freddie
How unfortunate to see this story hasn't got an end yet. Been reading em all for the last weeks, when opportunity set in, and now realized I'll have to wait for the ending once more. 1.5 years since this thread started, I really hope that Roo will find inspiration and time to end this story as he has cooked up another great dish as usual.

Can't wait for the ending.

:worthy: Roo, the great storyteller of DAoC stories.

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
Been probably around a year or so since i have had any need to use these boards. i had almost totally 4gotten about them untill i read a story about a game online. which reminded me of Roo and his wonderfulness.
i log in. i enter the creative section
"My god" i think, theres been updates. theres new pages!
surely after all this time roo has finished.
my heart pounds. i click to page 6. its old. page 7 its old. page 8..... new replies! i scroll down, my heart sinks. page 9 it has to be! i scroll down.
:( no roo. no story. no smiles.

kaionda

Fledgling Freddie
Lakashnik said:
Been probably around a year or so since i have had any need to use these boards. i had almost totally 4gotten about them untill i read a story about a game online. which reminded me of Roo and his wonderfulness.
my heart pounds. i click to page 6. its old. page 7 its old. page 8..... new replies! i scroll down, my heart sinks. page 9 it has to be! i scroll down.

I feel the same way :( only I've been checking on the thread at least once a month since the story stopped...
Roo, please just pop in and say hi. Thats enough for me! :)

Achilles

One of Freddy's beloved
Lakashnik said:

Well would you look who it is...sti ridden whore!
All my love Terelith xx

Thorondorito

One of Freddy's beloved
great stuff Roo mate!

Reading the replies it seems you are off for a large amount of time, I hope you come back soon with an end to this story and new ones to enjoy us.

Take care!

Ronso

Can't get enough of FH
WHATWHATWHAT !!!: Just read it all start to finish but no ending !! What the deuce !

Was fantastic !give more ! Ill pay in platinas!

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I've spent some time over the last couple of weeks tidying up the existing text a little and finally got around to moving this forward. I'll post more soon. I still need to check the posted text matches what I already have.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Apologies for the very extended delay. I will repost the entire story so far, but just to get things going here's the next bit. There is more than this written, but this is all thats getting posted for today probably.

-----------------------------------------------

Ma looked around the marquee at the motley crew of shapeshifted Midgardians.
"We's goin' to play knock knock troll style. No more sneakin'. They know we here. Got to move soon...not sure why they not attacked now they know of us but not waitin' to find out."
There were grins from around the tent.
"And," continued Ma, "We's doin' it as proper trolls. Dis lady troll's done goin' native. Get your weapons and make packs but leave the packs in tent. We're gonna be runnin' hard an' fast when we leave and we ain't stoppin' 'til I sees Nottmoor. Get to it."
She nodded to Seal and one by one the firbolgs, celts and lurikeen in the tent changed back to the more familiar trolls, norse and kobolds.
Ma motioned Ham and Twisted to one side and picked up Seal.
"Seal say this Banak's house likely not just a house."
Twisted frowned and tried to look intelligent. Even at its best, troll logic is such that if an apple fell on one's head they wouldn't deduce the existence of gravity but the existence of someone that needed a beating for throwing apples out of trees. His grey matter took approximately this route to what he said next: house, not house, outhouse, poo, kidney, punch, smish, big smish, army, barracks.
"Sayin' it where he keep his men Ma? If it so, it bigger than just house."
Ma nodded approval, "Likely be more of it underground."
Ham looked at some of the freshly unpolymorphed in the tent. "Hehe," he chuckled, "And what better for sniffin' out tunnels than kobolds."

Gitfius nudged the sleeping lurikeen with his toe. Aside from a slight change in the rhythm of his snoring, there was no ******d response. Impatiently, Gitfius snapped his fingers and a bucket appeared above the lurikeen's head, which then tipped over to reveal its contents, which then began to slosh over the side.
The lurikeen spluttered into wakefuless as the ice cold water landed on his head. There were a few seconds of crazy wild eyes then he began to take in the scene. He was in his lodgings. He was alive. There was a skinny elf leaning over him. Gah, he was awake.
Gitfius leaned forward and sneared, "Be glad it wasn't Lord Garan's nightsoil bucket. You'd be sprouting tomatoe plants on your head within a week."
The tiny lurikeen glowered at Gitfius and made vigorous squeaking noises which were probably angry words but were issued too fast and at too high a pitch to be properly understood. Three streets away a couple of dogs were rolling on the ground laughing at the stream of expletives.
"Do not fear little one, I shall make a stream of hot air to dry you off. I just wanted you awake."
Sadly, Gitfius had no understanding at all of irony. He conjured a warm breeze to dry the lurikeen and continued.
"Hibernia needs your services urgently."
"I'm retired," said the lurikeen, "Bugger off."
The lurikeen started looking under his bedroll then cursed when he found what looked like soaked tobacco,"Arrrgh! You ruined me best stash!"
Gitfius had been hoping to play this lurikeen like a scene in one of those espionage plays he had seen, where the dark and mysterious spy master tempts the best agent they'd ever had out of retirement for one last mission for the good of the realm. Somehow he didn't think this lurikeen enjoyed the arts though to be fair Gitfius wasn't a spymaster and he didn't need this pocket-sized clown to do any spying for him.
"Look we just need you to channel some people to one place. We've got a stash of cash, then you can go back to smoking yourself into a coma."
The lurikeen's eyes gleamed, "How much cash? Me li'l pot o' gold's been a bit light of late."
"Full pot." sighed Gitfius.
"Ah, I like pot."
"Yes. Yes, I can see that. Be outside the Tir na nog main gates in thirty minutes."
Gitfius paused, "On second thought... just come with me. I dont trust you not to just go straight back to sleep."
The lurikeen scowled as Gitfius turned to leave but didn't move.
Gitfius paused in the doorway, "Come, Underpants."
"It is Underplants. Poppy Underplants. Nobody gets it right. No wonder I smoke heavily. Don't I have time to get dressed?"
Gitfius snapped his fingers and the lurikeen was suddenly dressed.
"Oi, nice one!" said the lurikeen impressed. Gitfius said nothing. The lurikeen was still in his nightshirt but the illusion would hold and he didn't have time to hang about while this he stumbled around finding clothes.

Banak looked out from a window on the upper floor of his mansion. Cautious as ever, he always made sure to be in human guise when there was even a slight chance of being seen. He had a good view acros Tir na mBeo and he could easily see the circus marquee in the center. He had realised that he needed do nothing. The trolls had been discovered and his spies had reported Garan sending word to Tir na nog. That meant the Hibernians would deal with these fools and all he need do was watch. It was almost too perfect. He decided to wait until the Hibernian forces were here and to then take his elite guard out and join the battle. Heh, battle. Slaughter more like. Regardless, he would be able to get some credit for killing realm enemies, which gave potentially more scope to work his way into the royal court with less effort. Years he had waited while his strength and influence grew. He knew the value of patience. With the message having been sent to Tir na nog only last night, he estimated that it would be later today or more likely tomorrow morning before the Hibernian troops arrived.
He noticed movement. The main flap that served as an entrance was pushed back and trolls began to pour out. Not just trolls, he could see norse and kobold too. If they were moving openly in their original form, he knew it meant they were coming here.
He raised an eyebrow and smiled. These fools had no idea what was in this mansion and the warren of tunnels and chambers below it.
He strolled out of the room and into the upper hallway, descending to the ground floor via the rich mahogany staircase. He crossed to a panel in the hallway and waved his right hand in a gentle fluid motion while whispering in demonic. There was a faint glow as the panel changed into a door. There was nothing but darkness beyond the door. He entered, being very careful to make sure the door stayed open behind him. Silently, the servitors and guards from around the mansion stopped whatever they were doing and made their way to the doorway to follow him.

Ham banged on the door of the cottage, peering around through the window beside it to see if he could spot any sign of his brother.
"Brother troll!" he yelled, "Smishing time!"
There the sound of heavy footsteps inside and the door opened with the familiar features of Tight's firbolg shape appeared in the doorway.
"You look troll, brother troll." said Tight.
"I is troll, bother troll. Time to stroll like troll. Smishin' time. Lets go."
"Tight like." rumbled Tight. It had been too long since he had been in a good fight, at least several days now. He was going through the psychopath's equivilent of detox, and he badly needed a fix.
There was the sound of smaller footsteps behind Tight and Besz appeared at his shoulder. She seemed curious at the sight of the troll in the doorway rather than frightened.
"Tight, what's happening?" she said in Hibernian.
Tight as ever had no idea what she was saying but Ham was able to translate.
"I come for my brother, miss."
"He's a firbolg." said Besz, "No brother of yours, troll."
"He my brother troll." persisted Ham, who then turned back to Tight, "Seal made this for you. Eat it."
Ham reached into a pocket and pulled out what looked like a hunk of cheese. Tight took it and shoved it into his mouth in one go, barely bothering to chew it before swallowing. Almost immediately, he began to lose his Firbolg appearance and resumed his more proper trollish shape.
"What have you done!" exclaimed Besz, "You turned him into a troll!"
Ham said, "No, this what he really like. He my brother troll. And we don't have time for this."
Tight grinned, the gleam of mayhem in his eyes.
He turned to Besz and patted her gently on the head and said in Midgardian, "T'anks for food an' beer an' bed."
"Ready brother troll?" asked Ham.
"Ready brother troll." answered Tight.
Tight whistled for Jugulator who leapt out of a corner and rubbed up against his leg, turning as if to grin triumphantly at Besz.
Besz watched them go, saying nothing more. She closed the door and the air around her shimmered as she changed form.
Thor materialised beside her, "You really are quite insatiable you know."
"Mmm..." Aine mused, "he was good. When I win our wager I'm definately keeping him for myself."
"The game's not over yet. Your troops are too far from here to interfere."
"Are they now?" giggled Aine mischeviously.

Three companies of Hibernian soldiers stood outside the city of Tir na nog, resplendant in their rich green armour. Various brightly coloured clan flags flew and they waited proudly and patiently on their mounts.
Gitfius turned to Poppy Underplants, "We want you to channel these troops to Tir na mBeo. For this you get..." he hefted a bag and shook it, making a rich jingling noise, "enough for your pot for a long time."
Poppy looked at the troops and counted, "Three whole companies, are you mad?
Gitfius looked at Poppy and hissed, "We have been invaded, the Midgardians are at Tir na mBeo. We will not get there fast enough any other way. You will port these companies there now."
Poppy grumbled and grouched but soon subsided.
"Have them come to me one company at a time."
Gitfius nodded and barked the orders. He liked this. It made him look important.
"Gather them around me in a circle." ordered Poppy.
The troops were soon around him and he began to focus his will. Using his Farsight, he pictured the place he wanted them to be and then began to chant and summon the energies needed. A rapidly expanding bubble appeared around him, glowing and scintilating. It spread out from him to cover the troops and as quickly as it had appeared it was gone. And so were the troops. Only Poppy remained.
He staggered slightly, "Heh, its been a while. Send the next company."
Soon all three companies were gone. Poppy looked very tired after three massive channelings.
Gitfius nodded approval and threw Poppy the bag of coins.
"One last channeling and you have our thanks. Send me closer to the village than the troops, I must see what is happening there and make contact with Lord Tule."
"Bah. Alright. This is the last one. And if you get something like this again, please hesitate to ask."
Gitfius snorted and stepped closer to Poppy.
"Tir na mBeo please, driver." said Gitfius, pompously.
Once more, Poppy began to channel. The last thing Gitfius saw as he was teleported was Poppy winking at him. He had a sudden sense of unease.
Poppy saw Gitfius disappear and chuckled. It was a petty revenge but it made him feel good. He suddenly felt a chill around his nethers and looked down. He was back in his nightshirt. He screamed fluently in several languages and cursed at the name Gitfius.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Heh, having some probs with FH, found some typoes to edit but couldn't get at them by time forum seemed to be behaving itself. Oh well, I'll fix it for the fully reposted version.

kaionda

Fledgling Freddie
He is back!
He is back!
He is back!

Now where did we leave the story last time, feels like its been a decade tbh...

Achilles

One of Freddy's beloved
Good things come to those who wait! This story is soo worth waiting a year xD.

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
:eek2: OH EM GEE ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BOUT BLOODY TIME BOYO.
IM TYPING IN CAPS BECAUSE IM SO EXCITED AND OMG OMG OMG OMG.
Nice to have ya back man. Cant wait to read more.
The little titbit you just gave has me drooling for more.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Got a slight continuity issue with one of the names. Apologies if there is any confusion but hopefully the context the person appears in is clear enough. Downside of leaving it so long. I'll sort it when I eventually post the full story, but I've decided to hold off on that until I've gone through to the end. Aaaaanyway, enough babbling. Onward...

-------------------------------------------------------

Lakishnak, Beeble, Tiftok and Teesa watched the old boarded up well as if it
was going to suddenly explode. It sat a little behind the village, part of the way towards Besz's farmhouse. It was overgrown with weeds and grass, indicating it had been quite some time since it had been in use. If someone
were to tie events together, they would realise that it was boarded up around about the same time that the village began to change.
"They're not comin' out," said Lakishnak.
"Don't look like it," agreed Beeble.
"Thats a lot of people fitting into that well," said Tiftok.
Beeble lightly slapped Tiftok's forehead, "Its a secret door, you twit. It
must go somewhere."
"But where? And why'd all the grownups go down there?" asked Teesa.
"We could go look," said Lakishnak with a mischevious look on his face.
"We'd probably get into trouble if we were caught," said Teesa. As
understatements go, this one was right up there with "Pirahna's like a bit
of a nibble".
The three boys all looked at Teesa then each other and burst out laughing.
As one they scampered towards the boarded-up well and began looking for some
way to get it open. Naturally, it was Beeble that figured out how to open
the well up. Under a ridge in the one of the crumbling bricks was a sprung
latch which allowed the boards to be easily released upwards. The four of
them peered into the darkness below. There was a ladder that seemed to go
down a shortway into a tunnel. Lakishnak immediately stuck his head down for
a look.
"There's a tunnel," he whispered, "it goes level for a bit then round a
corner. He withdrew and looked around at the others in excitement.
"Well go on then," urged Tiftok, "Get in it."
Lakishnak clambered over the side of the well and down the ladder. He realised the tunnel wasn't completely dark. There were small recesses cut into the rock here and there with some glowing fungus in each that filled the tunnel with an eerie glow. He whispered up for the others to follow and one by one they clambered down, completely unaware they were being observed from the nearest house by cold, calculating eyes.
The tunnel was narrow and level. The followed its passage as it wound ahead, snakelike. After a few hundred yards was a shaft with a ladder. Lakishnak dropped to his knees and stuck his head down again.
"Clear," he hissed to the others as he scrambled onto the ladder and descended. They silently followed. The atmosphere in the group had changed from cheerful mischief to quiet nervousness. The sombre mood of the curiously dim lighting seemed to have fast affected them.
"Lak," muttered Teesa, "Get your hand off there."
"I'm in front of you Tee."
Teesa looked down and let out a muted squeak. There was a spider as big as her hand on her chest. Reflexively she jerked and made a wild brushing motion with her hand. The spider was thrown to the floor and scuttled off into the gloom. Teesa shuddered.
Beeble chuckled, "I got some insect repellant somewhere I think."
"I've smelled that concoction," grumbled Teesa, "its more like...people repellant."
In the near dark, Tiftok s******ed, "His face is people repellent."
Tiftok made a muted grunt as Beeble's elbow made contact with his midriff and he subsided quickly.
Back at the top of the shaft, the boards covering the secret entrance were moved once more and several humanoid shapes began to descend the ladders with deft silence.

Garan was waiting in undergrowth not far from Tir na mBeo. He regarded the hated Midgardian enemy intently as they marched up to Banak's mansion. There was nothing he could do and he fumed silently as he waited impotently. He watched as the Midgardians broke the door down easily and swarmed inside the mansion. He gave a start as his concentration was broken by a high pitched keening in the air. He looked behind him and in a subdued burst of purple light there was suddenly standing a company of Hibernian soldiers. He recognised the house colours on the various flags and grinned. There was another low flash and a second company appeared, then a few minutes later a third.
He barked for the company officers to approach him. Quickly recovering from
the disorientation of suddenly appearing in the Hibernian countryside, six
heavily armoured officers separated from the companies and moved to stand
before Garan.
"Report."
"Three companies, full cavalry at your disposal, Lord Tule. Lord Gitfius
arranged a channeler."
"Where is Lord Gitfius?" said Garan, looking around.
"Don't know sir. He was to follow after we were all channeled."
"Bother, he's probably sneaked off to avoid the fighting again."
Garan pondered a few moments. He pointed at the first officer and assigned his troops as First Company, then repeated this with the leading officers of the second and third companies. After confirming their designations he continued with orders.
"First and second companies tie up your mounts, we go into the village on
foot. First company will be with me, second company spread througout and search Tir na mBeo. Third company will create a cordon just outside the village to mop up any stragglers that get past us. Second Company take extra care around the marquee, it belongs to the Midgardians. I have no idea what these scum are doing here but we cannot let them invade our soil with impunity."
"Sir!" chorused the officers as they saluted.
The officers hurried to organise their men. Soon the troops of the first two companies were all dismounted and ready to move into Tir na mBeo.
Garan gave the signal and the soldiers moved out, their armour glinting in the sunlight. Third company rode to create a loose cordon around the entire village while the first and second companies jogged into Tir na mBeo with Garan. As they entered the village, Second Company's officer gave hand-signal orders for the troops to split off in twos and threes and to move between the different buildings, checking for Midgardian presence.
Even despite the small army entering the village, there should have been some sign of life, even if it was just villagers peering out from behind curtains. It was unnaturally quiet thought Garan. There was nobody around at all. What the hell was going on here.
Garan's company wasted no time searching buildings or checking for skirmishers and moved straight through the village to Banak's mansion.
Shortly, it loomed up ahead, foreboding and threatening in the silent village. Garan motioned with one hand for his company to spread out. He signalled for
scouts to check out the entrances to the mansion, front and back. Garan himself took cover at the end of the wall of the house nearest the mansion with the bulk of his company behind him. He felt his heart speed up as the old battle alertness returned.
At another silent hand signal, Garan motioned for rangers to move towards the mansion. Four soldiers detached themselves from the main company and ran forward. They ducked low and two ran towards the back while two ran to the front entrance of the mansion. There was no response from within the as they approached. Garan watched the rangers reach the front door and flank either side of its splintered remains. Still no response. He watched them slink inside. The minutes went by and there was no sound from within. The silence lengthened and the tension stretched his nerves.
A few minutes later the scouts ran out of the mansion, making their way back to Garan's position.
Barely out of breath the first scout reported, "Sir, the mansion is empty. We found a tunnel leading down below ground but have not entered, beyond giving it a cursory check. It seems to go down quite far. If the Midgardians haven't been channeled somewhere it would appear they entered the tunnel."
Garan clenched his jaw while he considered the tactical options of which he could see very few. He turned to a junior officer, "Inform Second Company after they have swept the town to set up an inner cordon around the mansion and dig in."
The aide ran off to find the Second Company's commanding officer.
Garan turned to the nearest officers, "Inform the rest of the company to move up to the mansion, we're going into the tunnel. Form skirmish groups of four and move ten yards apart. I want Nightshades in the lead group."
Garan looked at the mansion once more while the word was passed around the company. He didn't like the way this was shaping up one little bit. Their superior numbers could possibly be completely negated if the tunnel turned out to cause them to have to fight in cramped quarters. His own archery skills would be all but useless in such a place. Once again he wondered where Gitfius had got himself to.

Gitfius blinked as he materialised. The surroundings were dark. Wait, not
dark, just dim. He was indoors. Yes, indoors. Underground? No. Some kind of
shed. No wait, bigger. Like...a barn. Yes, thats it...a barn. He heard a
noise behind him and spun around. He saw a faint gleam of metal, like a
knife being drawn from a scabbard. He heard another behind him. He turned
quickly again. White teeth grinning out of the gloom at him.
There was a voice that said something in a language he couldn't understand
then he looked down and there was cold steel sticking into his chest with
his blood running down the blade.
"Oh my." he said, as he fell to the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom