[RANT] The whole Goa non delivery

MagnusGOA

English WAR Community Manager
Good day!

So you are perfectly fine that there's still no Char Transfers in Europe and the 1st BIG balancing patch will slip through without us being able to tell our words about it?
Tbh that's quite frustrating from my pov.
The purpose of a public test server is not to gain feedback which will be used to make balance changes to the game - we've got live servers for that. The PTS is there to test upcoming patches and see if there's a serious stability or balance issue they've overseen. Just as during closed beta, these game changes are as much a response to the feedback and server data of European players as US players.

That said, both us and Mythic want PTS in Europe. To start with, we've got a massive player base here and we want to bring in alot of players for these tests. Further, we know from experience that European players are pretty darn hard core, which is great for testing new content and finding strange bugs. Lastly, with MMO's being rather dynamic, we feel that it's important to bring in European players fully in the development process of WAR.

What I can say now is that we'll certainly not see European test servers by 1.0.5; there's simply not sufficient time to set up the systems required to do so. WAR is no short term project though and we're in this for the long haul.

They need to fix these issues quickly before more things come up. Since the first week we've known that the service hasn't been quite the same, with the following problems:

- Slow support, if you've got an immediate ingame problem which isn't "I'm stuck" then give up - you'll probably get a reply from support during the middle of the night by email.

- Flash site which barely works. Hardly any EU customers like the site, yet GOA shoves this down our throats as much as possible. I can't access the account management in Firefox - it doesn't work.

- Lack of Realm WAR pages on the site. They've let this issue go on and on, instead of giving us an expected date it's now become a joke.

- Certain patches/hotfixes taking a bit too long to implement. Sometimes it takes a couple of days for GOA to put hotfixes into action, which is a bit annoying. This can be a major problem near the end of the week because GOA doesn't do any game patches over the weekend. If Mythic do any hotfixes on Friday then we won't receive them until the start of the next week - highly annoying.

- No character transfers - a fairly recent issue, I could understand them waiting a bit to see how things worked out, however it looks like yet another problem due to the web team being useless.

- No test server. Another very recent issue added to the list, probably partially Mythic's fault for not coordinating, but also another web problem as you need to copy characters over.

It would be too bad if these issues were being fixed at a rate we could see, however the new problems seem to be appearing before any are being sorted. I'd guess that Mythic are partially to blame, they've probably rushed through character transfers and the test server without coordinating with GOA.

The longer these issues stay, the more the playerbase will become annoyed with the differences in service. If more issues come on the list then players will continue to become despondent with GOA's service.

As announced yesterday, character transfers are coming. We've yet to set the final date for this, but the time period we're looking at is some two weeks or so. We hope to give a definite answer by the end of next week.

I've seen my fair share of tickets which hasn't been responded to within a reasonable time. Whereas this is far from the norm, it's clearly not something we want to see more of. If you're treated unfairly or just not given an appropriate level of support, please PM me and include the ticket ID and I'll pass the errand to our Customer Service Officer who will bring out the discipline-hammer. Basically, any customer service organisation will have these sort of problems and I don't think it's justified to say that we're failing to provide customer support. We do, and most of the time it's great.

'Proper' patches are well coordinated with Mythic and we implement them the following day, as we don't want to bring down our game servers during the afternoon (which would be the case, had we opted for simultanious patching). Depending on when they're sent to us, we implement hotfixes and minor patches the same day or the day thereafter. There has been a few cases where fixes has been implemented on the EU servers several days after the US servers. There's a few explanations for this:

• Mythic want to make sure that a fix is stable and runs well before implementing it on EU servers too.
  • Miscommunication and human errors. We're involved in a relationship, GOA and Mythic, and these things happen. Playing the blame game is of little use, but suffice to say, we've both made our fair share of mistakes, as we all do.
This is a problem which we're seeking to meet openly. As problems go in general, it's not somthing we can 'kill' and make disappear. Rather, it's a gradual process of improving communications between the many persons on different levels who are involved in coordinating the EU and US WAR effort.

We're obviously not happy with the delay of the Realm WAR pages. We ran into problems which simply took longer to resolve than we anticipated and so the ETA ended up being postponed repeatedly. These issues are now resolved and the Realm WAR platform is currently being tested internally. We're hoping to bring solid news and an ETA on them next week.

Blessings,
-Magnus

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
<snip>
What I can say now is that we'll certainly not see European test servers by 1.0.5; there's simply not sufficient time to set up the systems required to do so. WAR is no short term project though and we're in this for the long haul.
<snip>

And while you're in it for the long haul, remember with a larger MMO market, players might not be in it for the long haul, if continuously falling behind the US with services - such as the (IMO) atrocious long wait for a Realm War page, delay in Server transfer and so on....

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
So start up an EU based game development company and do better and get your own back by launching in EU first?

Alternatively, decide that you have better things to do with your time than worry about when a game launches where? You only have one life after all.

Yeah and to all those people out there who lost money, because a certain bank bankrupted, start your own f***ing bank if you got problems with it!

You can hold both company's responsible for not delivering what Goa promised. Mythic for choosing a company that doesnt deliver and Goa for not delivering.

I mean c'mon, let's not get holier then the pope here, fgs.

Though i have to say responce's have bin fast as it is this time (just saw MagnusK responce :D). The solution to the problems and issue's is often another matter.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Thanks for the reply.

What I'm sure many people would like to see is an effort to squash all remaining issues and get them sorted in the next few months - preferably by the end of the year. It would be nice to start 2009 with us being able to say that we're happy with the level of service we're receiving, instead of us being able to criticise it for being inferior to Mythic's service.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Good day!

The purpose of a public test server is not to gain feedback which will be used to make balance changes to the game - we've got live servers for that.

I won't quote the rest, Magnus pretty please don't get me wrong, but ... let's not say things that can be labeled as ... ermm i don't wanna be harsh.
The Public Test Servers are there to Test an upcoming Patch, during tests ALL aspects of the patch gets feedback (thus in fact they changed the Single target Heal casting time 1 hour after the Pts was actually up) from classes balance impacts to pve impacts to general rvr impacts.
In fact as you can see browsing classes forums, there's a raging discussion about some changes whilest others are pretty well welcomed.
This 1st round of CLASSES Balance patches are a milestone cause they are CHANGING the dynamics of the classes both Dps and Heal wise.
And, as usual, we remain with the short stick in the hand and can't voice our opinions on the impacts of these changes.
We'll need to get em down our throat no matter what, as always happened to this side of the pond.
Honestly we got nuff of being treated as "there it is, eat it or that's the window".
I can't also, for the love of anything that's holy, understand which are the problems (apart that, for change Goa decided to have a different account management than Mythic? I mean whoever took that decision needs to make a self exam really) to put it up?
Translating Patches? Erm Pts in Wow are English only, either you know it or tuff luck, people are fine with that and, rings bells of doom, kinda 90% of Eu population knows at least some English basics to manage an English Ui.

thergador

Fledgling Freddie
so I guess in your opinion its too much to ask for the same level of service that they get in the states, I ask you if you bought a TV in the UK but was told only US customers get a full 2 years warranty and you get 0 on the same set, at the same price, I think you would be a little pissed and ask why?
if i buy on a credit card i get 3 years if youpay cash you get the manifactures warranty normally one year does that make you get pissy ??? not saying i disagree just saying your argument lacks depth

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I feel sorry for you Magnus. I find it a great help how you constantly keep us updated with information but I feel we are being let down further in the system and you are receiving all the blame for it.

One thing GoA have excelled on - is the ability to provide information back to the players with some truth in it so kudos for that. But unfortunately, the bad things seem to vastly outstrip this :(

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
One thing GoA have excelled on - is the ability to provide information back to the players with some truth in it so kudos for that.

excelled at providing some truth? when not just be open and honest.

:m00:

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
I feel sorry for you Magnus. I find it a great help how you constantly keep us updated with information but I feel we are being let down further in the system and you are receiving all the blame for it.

One thing GoA have excelled on - is the ability to provide information back to the players with some truth in it so kudos for that. But unfortunately, the bad things seem to vastly outstrip this :(

I doubt many people blame Magnus for the state of GOA - it is just he's the representative communicating with us, so he's about the only place where we can pose these issues.

Although I am somewhat puzzled on the "ability to provide information back to the players" statement.
What we are mostly fed off with are vague, undetermined, ETAs. Just see the server transfer announcement and the whole realm wars farce.
It is procrastinating and buying time.

They knew what would be required - both Mythic and GOA have said so - and they were experienced from DAoC - both parties said this - and they promised it and again both parties did.
Expecting the quality in service from game launch wasn't a stretch at all, expecting it this long into retail should be a given.

Yes, I feel sorry for Magnus on a "personal level" - because I suspect he is in a thankless job of being damned if he don't and damned if he does.
But as a company - I still can have no respect what so ever for GOA or their competence level which looks to be lacking to a high degree in a multitude of areas.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
Although I am somewhat puzzled on the "ability to provide information back to the players" statement.
What we are mostly fed off with are vague, undetermined, ETAs. Just see the server transfer announcement and the whole realm wars farce.

if GOA doesn`t have an ETA, what do you want them to say ? it`s better to say NOTHING than to say something that with hindsight was wrong.

if something breaks at GOA`s side and they have to wait for mythic to come up with a solution, what do you want them to say except "we have no ETA (we are waiting for an answer from mythic)".

AND I AM RATHER SURE THAT GOA IS UNDER CONTRACT TO SAY NOTHING ABOUT MYTHIC THAT COULD SHED A BAD LIGHT ON MYTHIC. i wonder how many times that magnusk, ianc and the others have cursed and thought in their selves "those f**king ***** at mythic f**ked up AGAIN and we have to take all the blame AGAIN". i`m SURE people at GOA have thought numerous times "mythics communcation towards us sucks bigtime". i`m sure the people at GOA have been cought of guard a LOT of times by anouncements by Mythic that left the people at GOA thinking "they new this already a week and we just READ it on warhammer alliance like everyone else that they`ll do this or that tomorrow. How are we suposed to be able to do the same thing tomorrow ?"

why is it that for me `in the near future` is perfectly acceptable and for a lot of people it is not acceptable ? at least by saying "in the near future" or "we have no ETA" you can`t say something that proves to be incorrect.

"it`s better to keep your mouth shut and make people think you are dumb than to open it and prove those people are right" <== forgot from who this quote is.

Runoff

Fledgling Freddie
Everythings always broken thats always some excuse.

I presume Mythic have been onto GOA over QoS today or yesterday due to the Post on VN boards about EU treatment therefore Magnus and the new CM are posting today.

After all MJ said Goa gotta meet or Exceed Mythic on QoS or deals off.

Where were you guys on Sunday morning when People who Subscribed had to wait and wait to actually get online?

How much money are GOA making. Why no 24/7 telephone support?

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Everythings always broken thats always some excuse.

I presume Mythic have been onto GOA over QoS today or yesterday due to the Post on VN boards about EU treatment therefore Magnus and the new CM are posting today.

After all MJ said Goa gotta meet or Exceed Mythic on QoS or deals off.

Where were you guys on Sunday morning when People who Subscribed had to wait and wait to actually get online?

How much money are GOA making. Why no 24/7 telephone support?

So far off the mark it hurts.

Wrath of the Lich King is released this week.

;)

gordro

Fledgling Freddie
Its released at midnight tonight :)

I had a mail from Blizzard telling me that I could go to Oxford street for the official release at 12 midnight.

I replied (yeah yeah to a noreply address)

"If I can't be bothered to sit in an instance at Midnight waiting for slackers to catch up and do something to help the group, then why would I, a 36 year old with a wife, kids, morgage and a grumpy cat, bother to come see the realease of more of the same instanced rubbish pve crap I can get on a single player console. No you can't have my stuff, im gonna shard it"

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
For the same reason you'd reply to a noreply email address? ;)

gordro

Fledgling Freddie
I've seen my fair share of tickets which hasn't been responded to within a reasonable time. Whereas this is far from the norm, it's clearly not something we want to see more of. If you're treated unfairly or just not given an appropriate level of support, please PM me and include the ticket ID and I'll pass the errand to our Customer Service Officer

Ok, well I waited what i believe to be a reasonable period of time before I bothered you. So I have just PM'd you a ticket for what I believe to be a very simple issue.

I droped a quest and now can't pick it up again. My in game ticket was replied to via e-mail 8 Nov 2008 17:36.

The balls in your court :)

Tors

Edit - MY EYES! Less purple please. Purple is good but not on a Green background ;) - Flim

Uara

Part of the furniture
OMG the purple-ness, please please please change the font colour, on the green FH scheme i can't read a word unless I highlight your text :p

Belgerath

One of Freddy's beloved
I have to use the blue and white forum style without avatars in work as it looks like er work then :D

Uara

Part of the furniture
I have to use the blue and white forum style without avatars in work as it looks like er work then :D

lol Belg good try but I can still read that :p
Edit:Well I can't when its quoted !

gordro

Fledgling Freddie
Ha!!

i've just raised a service request for a new monitor.

It looked fine on this pos screen I use at work, and have been using for 2 years.

Just compaired something on my screen with the same thing on someone elses.

o_O

its funny how you can get used to anything over time :p

(nb - the spelling was still crap on his screen, so thats somehting the helpdesk cant help me with :( )

gordro

Fledgling Freddie
Wow, super fast response!!

2 hours after Pm'ing Magnusk I got a reply telling me he had passed my message on to the support guys.

1 hour after that, they had fixed my problem and I can log in tonight with my issue resolved!

All I can say is thank you, I guess my original ticket was lost in the system somewhere and maybe If I had re-ticketed it, it may have gone through?

this does mean I need to find a reason to leave work and "work from home" Thank god for ip tunneling and atl-tab!!

Tors

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
i guess the first month / 2 months saw a relatively high amount of tickets, possibly more than the GOA staff could cope with within reasonable time.

now things have settled a bit, i expect faster responses allround.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom