The UNIX n00bie

L

legendario

Ok peeps *cough* TdC and teh Rev. Will.

Where does the UNIX n00bie start?

openBSD? freeBSD?

Where do they find out about x-windows and windows emulators like wine?
Where would they look in order to learn more?

Basically any reference to get a n00boid started is what i'm looking for and i'm not referring to linux here.

Thanks in advance

Teh Leg.

p.s. I like it raw so hit me hard with no cushions please :)

W

Will

I'd start by giving the FreeBSD site a good read. The handbook is very useful.

If you definately wanting Unix (BSD) rather than Linux, then Free is the easiest. Though admittedly it is the only one I use, but I've heard TdC swearing, so trust me on this one.
You'll need to get yourself one of the stable ISOs, either 4.7-mini-iso (if you have a nice big connection, since you download extra files during install) or 4.7-iso if your pipe isn't quite so phat (modem or ISDN).

For X, there is a link in the FreeBSD handbook. As for Wine...I think we'll get to that later.;)

T

Testin da Cable

freebsd would indeed be a good choice if you fancy getting into a unix workstation thing. staying away from the more 'unfriendly' *ixen would generally be a good idea till you have some of the base skills, like for example knowing how to set your network up, down. or marginally down. remember that the handbooks [and google] are your friends.

if you feel like some gaming or wider [read cutting edge] hardware support you could try a linux. here too you have the userfriendly and -unfriendly breeds [remember that "linux" is only the kernel, the heart of the os. the rest of what you get is what the distributer has collected or made for you]. some of the more friendly could be Suse linux, RedHat linux, LinuxMandrake [based on redhat].
the above have more or less reached the level of dropping a cdrom in your poota, installing and working in 20 minutes or so [speaking generally -there are always people who have strange problems]
the linux installers these days are very very good compared to say a year ago. the friendly distros will let you do everything in a GUI, easing transition from fully GUI based os.

be aware you're getting into something new here. if you've been using windows all your life there _will be a period where you will have to learn new stuff. once you have that down you can play all you like. you may even get hooked ;)

one thing though: based on all the screwups I did starting out on unix do it in a separate poota from your main workstation so it doesn't really matter if you break something. if you're going to dualboot _make a backup_ before you start. wise words :)

W

Will

Suse is apparently very easy now. My flatmate even had it fully set up X for him, without needed to pull out a command line and vi.

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by Will.

without needed to pull out a command line and vi.

buh...buh..TEH SAKKRILEDGE!!1 :eek:

W

Will

Times are moving on. I might even install X one day soon.

L

legendario

Thanks guys ...much appreciated. :)

I'm not a complete novice as I have been using Redhat and Suse for a while but as far as BSD goes I am pretty clueless.

*puts uber phat JANET pipe to use*

F

FatBusinessman

Suse is apparently very easy now. My flatmate even had it fully set up X for him, without needed to pull out a command line and vi.

The problem with SuSe being that you can't download ISOs of it :(

Which is bloody annoying when it decides not to bother installing GCC for you.

T

Testin da Cable

heh. how do you compile a compiler? you should be allowed to do the devel kit though? I've never installed a recent suse. last time must be early 2000 or so.
still better none at all than one that's evilly borked like redhat ahem :)

M

Mellow-

All I know about UNIX is people with beards use it and it's rather more powerful than Windows.

Anyone care to tell me what it's used for specifically?

S

Shocko

Playing Q3, looking at pr0n, and impressing/humiliating windows users :D

X

xane

As a UNIX bod of 20 years beard growth I started using FreeBSD a few months back and was impressed as to how dedicated it is to the original. I've been using Solaris for the last few years and its a pleasure to work with a "free" version thats a lot more stable and nicer to use.

Unfortunately I'm rather stuck with vi, I take the opposite view and install vi on Windows and VMS or any other OS I happen to be using.

I'll let you UNIX fanbois and Windows wannabes battle it out whilst I worship the one and only true master OS = VMS.

D

danger

Originally posted by xane
As a UNIX bod of 20 years beard growth I started using FreeBSD a few months back and was impressed as to how dedicated it is to the original. I've been using Solaris for the last few years and its a pleasure to work with a "free" version thats a lot more stable and nicer to use.

Unfortunately I'm rather stuck with vi, I take the opposite view and install vi on Windows and VMS or any other OS I happen to be using.

I'll let you UNIX fanbois and Windows wannabes battle it out whilst I worship the one and only true master OS = VMS.

Speak yee English...... ING-GLEESH?

L

legendario

My bird asked me what I wanted for teh crimbo...I said "here, get me this BSD book from amazon"

5 days later, Fucking gosford Park on VHS turns up ffs.

I said to the guy " oi wheres meh book you cunt?"

He said "Fuck off I don't care, I'll send you another one"

I was like "Talk to the hand"

So anyway I keep gosford park and give it as a chrissy pressy :D

L

lecter

Maybe she is telling you I dont fucking want a geek for a boyfriend, instead some arty farty idle student.

D

danger

Really? I mean I'm sure you have a good reason for it but errr I'll be damned if I ever understand it... :p

You probably prefere Vinyl also :p Why live in the stoneage when it's clearly not necessary? (I'm sure there's a legit reason :p)

For one thing it at least looks more cheerful sitting in a GUI :p

N

Nylex

I am command line boy.:D

That's proper hardcore Linux though tbh :). I've only got command line atm, as my X is fucked. Lol.

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by ^Danger

Why live in the stoneage when it's clearly not necessary? (I'm sure there's a legit reason :p)

commandline != stoneage :p

W

Will

My linux box is a server, not a desktop, so I can do everything I want with the command line. I've used shell accounts for a while, and I'm used to the command line.

D

danger

I see so being a server it's not the main box you sit at all day...

:)

W

Will

Operation Flashpoint and Battlefield 1942 require Windows.:mad:

T

Testin da Cable

or you could play a real man's game like ascii quake ;)

D

danger

acii quake ?! WTF ? :p

is that played over IRC or something?

*Imagines*

Map DM3
Sujay: Collects Red Armor, sees senile down below fires RL at Senilebite....
Senilebite: Sujay Misses... runs away towards mega health
Sujay: Gives chase
Senilebite: Rocket Jumps upto quad ledge...
Sujay: Shafts senile out the air... skills

* Meekah(~meekah@blah) has joined #asciiquake
Meekah: Spawns by YA heads for RL
Senilebite: Had pentagram therefore it didn't work... jump-turns 360 and rips sujay a new butthole...
Sujay: Yes but I'm the terminator therefore it doesn't work
Senilebite: HEY YOU CAN'T DO THAT...
Sujay: WATCH ME...
Meekah: Grow up guys!

* Quits: Meekah(~meekah@blah (G-Lined: STAY OUT OF THIS FFS!))

Senilebite: Right in that case I have terminator killing rockets soo nerrr your dead
Sujay: Ahhh well I have anti-terminator killing rocket armour soo nerr I also have a large tactical nuke that only kills people called Senilebite...

* Senilbite sets mode +m #asciiquake
* Senilbite sets mode -o Sujay

Senilebite: Ahhhh but I have a inverse particle boron cannon that kills people called Sujay...
Senilbite: ....
Senilebite: No response?
Senilebite: HAHAHAHA WINNER WINNER
Senilebite: YOU LOOSE!

FigBoot: And so brings to a close the UK Dueling championships Senile is the winner!

SEE IT WOULDN'T WORK I TELLS YA!!!!! :p

W

Will

It's far far more scarey than that. Imagine Quake, but all the gfx are ascii art.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom