TV The street that cut everything

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Interesting experiement looking at what happens to a street that no longer pays council tax and loses all access to council services. As much of a pain as council tax can be once you see what life is like without council services you begin to realise that it isn't such a bad deal after all.

BBC iPlayer - The Street That Cut Everything: Episode 1

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
found it really forced and contrived .. but a good message none the less

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
found it really forced and contrived .. but a good message none the less

Agreed in a way but it does reinforce that the economies of scale afforded by council tax are a pretty good deal for the tax payer.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Agreed in a way but it does reinforce that the economies of scale afforded by council tax are a pretty good deal for the tax payer.

true .. to me it also showed that you shouldnt have kids unless you can afford to keep them rather than counting on the state to subsidise your need to procreate ..

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
There's no community anymore.60 yrs ago everyone knew each other in your road. London is a city of 7m strangers who neither know or care about anyone

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
It made me laugh, still not got the street lights off, so let's fly-tip, get some noisy chavs and graffiti!

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
true .. to me it also showed that you shouldnt have kids unless you can afford to keep them rather than counting on the state to subsidise your need to procreate ..

Yet if the state didn't it could well lead to population decline as vast sections of society could not afford them. Or the reverse and you end up as we did in Victorian times, families so poor that infant mortality was sky high and therefore families having 8-12 kids because they knew that half of them or more will die before the age of 5.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH

That is probably true and I can see the logic. However, the problem with that is that we live in an ageing population. Simply put there aren't enough children being born in the UK, which in time means that we will be in a situation where we have a lot of old people and nowhere near enough tax payers to pay for the services required to look after them.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I have a cousin that has three kids lives in a council flat has no job and no income except for the state.

She didn't have the kids all while she had a partner, infect I think they are prob from 3 different dads. First was like when she was 16 or so .

One is a mistake I can take that but to go on and have two more that she can't support without the tax payer is down right wrong. So the get housing benefits child benefits tax credit free school meals and other school benefits, unemployment benefits.

That can't be right. Maybe they could do something like first child you get help for cause anyone can make a mistake, but if you proceed to have more you lose benefits the more you have or something.

Even with an ageing population it isn't right to subsidise those who can afford kids. As a lot of kids from poorer backgrounds end up doing the same as their parents.

And this world could use a few shrinking populations. Not everything has to increase all the time

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Far too forced and the benefit scrounger was a hilarious child.

Wow that is pretty fucked up, she was recovering from cancer and raising two kids on her own. Could you be more heartless?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
She was a hilarious child because she moved out because ONE person didn't totally agree with her viewpoint, despite the fact they said they would be happy to go with the majority and pay for them. That's not childish?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
She was a hilarious child because she moved out because ONE person didn't totally agree with her viewpoint, despite the fact they said they would be happy to go with the majority and pay for them. That's not childish?

No no, you called her a benefit scrounger and that is what annoyed me, you have no idea of her circumstances beyond the fact she has two children and is recovering from cancer. She might have worked for 30 years before she needed benefits help but you have branded her a scrounger just because she needed help at a really bad time in her life. I am sure you would happily do away with all state help, the NHS and public services as well. Until you realise how fucked we would all be without them. We have a safetynet system for a good reason, thank christ we do because a return to what we had in Victorian times would effectively leave us a third world country.

Embattle

FH is my second home
In all truth our systems are pretty good but they've also become massively abused and it needs to be stopped before they break one by one, however to do this governments would have to do more than just talk tough.

Marc

FH is my second home
There's no community anymore.60 yrs ago everyone knew each other in your road. London is a city of 7m strangers who neither know or care about anyone

When I were a lad, there were still communities. It was ace.

soze

I am a FH squatter
A guy I work with lives in a small town about 20 minutes from me and he knows 90% of the people we drive past by name. His whole Road (Cul De Sac) get together when the weather is nice. A few weeks ago there was a Pool in the middle of the road and about 8 BBQ's all on the go. It was the first time I have seen anything like it and I know why he says the 20 minutes extra on his Journey is worth it.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
In all truth our systems are pretty good but they've also become massively abused and it needs to be stopped before they break one by one, however to do this governments would have to do more than just talk tough.

Agreed, reform not revolution is what is called for. Tighten regulation, not the vice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom