The Sandman Series and Neil Gaiman.

Macceh^

Fledgling Freddie
Hello There

For those who dont know The Sandman Series was a highly popular graphic novel series written by the cult hit Neil Gaiman. I have been following this author for about a year now, reading some of his more recent novels such as the brilliant American Gods.

Anyway I was just wondering if anyone else has read his work, despite one close friend I know of nobody else personally who has heard of him.

Macceh

Mofo8

Fledgling Freddie
I'd seen some Sandman stuff years ago, and recently read American Gods on the recommendation of a friend. I thought it was pretty damn good.

MrBlack

Fledgling Freddie
I quite enjoyed them. A little trite in places, but fun to read. I read them when a freidn of my girlfriend's lent them to her. She didn't read them for 3 months, having something of a disdain for comics (even though she has a vast collection of old Bunties)

They're the only medium where I've actively fancied death, too. :)

Whipped

Part of the furniture
A series that I'm always promising myself I will read. For the last few years I've been following Jeff Smith's Bone series and anything by Alan Moore. Watchmen is still one of all time favorite reads and tended to have an airing every 6 months or so, that is until I lent it to a friend and never got it back :( Must get a new copy soon.

Chilly

Balls of steel
one of the funnyest books i read as a whippersnapper (altho it wasnt really a whippersnapper book) was Good Omen by Pratcheet+Gaiman. It kept me laughing as a kid for the same reasons the simpsons does and made me laugh like a loony when i read it agian and got all the subtle jokes - like the simpsons. Good book to read imo, tis a fiction novel bout a wee lad who just happens to be the son of the devil AND god or something....its very good.

Taen

Fledgling Freddie
I read the Sandman series a few years ago and Im half way through American Gods atm .. I must say im really enjoying it, one of the best books Ive read this year... Gaiman is a talented writer

Vesania

Fledgling Freddie
I have the full set of Sandman and also the spin offs about his sister, Death, plus the Books of Magic. Gaiman is so talented at bringing the world and the mood of the moment to life that it's almost tangible in front of you. Wonderful characterisation, too.

Taen

Fledgling Freddie
hmmmm ... I was loving American Gods but I didnt like the way it finished up .. actually Im vey disappointed :(

Gama

Fledgling Freddie
Good Omens and American Gods are both good, and worth a read, despite some people not liking American Gods' ending :)

Uriel

Fledgling Freddie
I first came across them all back-to-front and muddled up and I've still not read the Wake, although it is on my shelf somewhere.

Some of the more minor story arcs kinda jar with the fine quality of the rest and tbh I thought most of the spin offs were a bit hit & miss. But the overeaching story is just so well written and the characters so memorable that I'd recommend it to anyone even if they only had a passing interest in comics.

I've not read any of his books though, although I do have Neverwhere on video somewhere which after the Sandman was a bit of a disappointement.

As for links, I'm sure I used to go here http://www.holycow.com/dreaming/ but tbh you might be better off typing Neil Gaiman into google.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom