The Ring

O

osy

A very interesting movie, who's genre I can't quite classify. Good acting, nice directing, good camera effects... and on top of this, a good script.

Must see.

Spoilers and such later on.

L

Lester

It's got the lady from Mullholland Drive in too. Can we talk about her boobs yet?

O

osy

Originally posted by Meatballs
isn't it a thriller?

Yes meatballs, I suppose you could call it that. But still, it's more than that.

S

Sharma

which one? USA remake? (shite) or the Japanese Original? (excellent)

tis horror btw :D

O

osy

the japanese one is named "Ringu", and has 3 parts.

Original movie, a sequel and a prequel. I am talking about the american remake.

W

WPKenny

The Jap one is simply called "Ring".

/me points to the DVD box sitting in the rack behind him

F

Furr

oo how many secret rings did you spot during the film eh?

*sends everyone off to re watch it*

S

Sharma

im doubtful if i wanna re-watch it, the japanese one scared me shitless

T

Tom

I just watched the Ringu film, not quite as scary as people made out. The hairs on my neck raised when he was watching the tv at the end though....

....its still not as scary as The Blair Witch Project.

T

Tom

Oh great, I just looked out of the window and a really thick fog has descended upon Manchester.

NOW I'm scared

:uhoh:

W

Wij

??

Dead of Night is still better than any of them :)

L

leggy

Originally posted by [Lazarus]
Wij's ring >scarier> ring/ringu

If I didn't know better I would sworn you were ECA there.

T

The_Sheriff

Originally posted by Tom[SHOTTEH]
....its still not as scary as The Blair Witch Project.
?

Hahahhaahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nice one.

P

Panda On Smack

heh, its bizarre how 50% of people found it scarey and the other 50% thought it was utter tripe and about as scarey as Monsters Inc.

J

Jonny_Darko

Such a missed opportunity for a twist ending. Imagine somehow that it accidentally got broadcast on a main channel at primetime...

W

Wij

Originally posted by Jonny_Darko
Such a missed opportunity for a twist ending. Imagine somehow that it accidentally got broadcast on a main channel at primetime...

Wouldn't that be Halloween III ?

N

nath

I've not seen the american remake, it looks pap though. Jap ring however gave me chills all the way through. When she finds her son watching and opens the door and you just see a hand come out of the well. Well, I changed my underwear.

T

Tom

Personally, I saw Blair Witch at the cinema, and I nearly cacked my pants.

T

Testin da Cable

the only thing I found mildly freaky in TBWP were the hands pressing against the tent. teh eep!

R

ReActor

Originally posted by nath
I've not seen the american remake, it looks pap though. Jap ring however gave me chills all the way through. When she finds her son watching and opens the door and you just see a hand come out of the well. Well, I changed my underwear.

I've never seen the Jap version but I can tell you that that scene was in the American remake. Overall, I thought the American version was great. Scared the crap out of me. I spent quite a while that that night awake, fixated on the dormant TV, expecting it to come on at any moment. Not quite sure if I want to watch any of the Japanese ones now.

W

WPKenny

Originally posted by Tom.
Personally, I saw Blair Witch at the cinema, and I nearly cacked my pants.

I thought Blair Which Project was inspired.

I think it's one of those kind of films that really grabs you or you think is pap.

First time I saw it, I felt like I was a kind again telling ghost stories to my mates while we had a sleep over. It was such a departure from the norm and the fact they used low quality footage like they did in the form of camcorders was great. Made you feel like you were watching your mate's home movies or something.

Of course I did watch it in a wooden shed (a "challet" as she called it) at the end of my ex-girlfriend's garden on a pirate tape on a big TV so that might have modified my opinion somewhat. I can't see it working as well in a cinema. Am I right?

Back onto the Ring and it's american remake....

Reactor....rent the original Jap film from your local video shop...Blockbusters I assume in this day and age. The american remake pissed me off at how much of a mish mash it made of the trilogy. They grabbed ideas from all over the films and they didn't fit together so well. The director was too stylistic where the Jap versions are more voyueristic, almost over-the-shoulder kind of camera work. Of course horses for courses (if you'll excuse the unintended remake reference) and you may find the Jap version bores you to tears. Worth the gamble of a couple fo quid IMHO.

K

*Kornholio*

Is the Jap version sub-titled or dubbed ?

Users who are viewing this thread