The Ring

O

old.Tohtori

Saw the original Japanese version. Talk about scary...

Also on the dvd was the "video" that is in the movie and ofcourse..had to watch it :D

D

Damini

The american version is a shambles if you compare it to the original. I heartily recomend you see that version.

T

Testin da Cable

hmm is that so? damn...was thinking of going to see it when it's released here in holland :/

S

Spinky

I told my friends to go see the Japanese original instead and they just went "What, Subtitles? Pfft"

N

Novamir

hehe, i like subtitled films. City of God was amazing, the subtitles didn't detract at all from the film.

i'd like to see the japanese version.. only for free tho :rolleyes:

T

Testin da Cable

the japanese version is out on dvd iirc. you'd have to ask Ono, or one of the other dvd-literate peeps.

N

Novamir

oh, is that over at the scary General boards? :scared:

S

Sharma

Originally posted by Damini
The american version is a shambles if you compare it to the original. I heartily recomend you see that version.

finally someone else has seen the original!

American version = bollocks
Japanese version = made me shat my pants :eek:

they completely changed to order of events in the american version and me and me mates were takin bets on when it would end, when it did we jumped up and shouted YES!!!!! got a few odd looks :eek:

D

Damini

It's just, the whole direction of the american version ruins everything that made the original good. You see American Sadako, which undermines the whole suspense, and the bit where she comes out the tv? Firstly they show you that in the bloody advert, and secondly its not a touch on the japanese version. Watching that in the japanese version I wanted to climb out of my skin, wash my skin in holy water then sleep with the light on for a month. If you haven't seen the original, you won't know what I'm talking about, but if you have then I'm sure you'll agree when I sum it up like this:

Ngrghrshh! And assorted noises of fear and discontent.

S

Sharma

I just hope to god the twat that remade the ring into the american ersion doesnt even touch on the idea of the ring 2, the ring 2 wasnt as scary but still there were some bits that as damini said wanted to climb out of my skin, wash my skin in holy water then sleep with the light on for a month.

O

old.Xarr

i have seen both versions and i gotta say the japanese one is a hell of alot scarier. the american version isn't 'bollocks' tho. it's a good enough flick if you haven't seen the japanese original. nova, you really gotta check out the japanese version, too bad you didn't see it first :)

S

SFXman

Originally posted by Brunore

Have u seen the original?

Thought not.
If the original is better that does not automatically make the american version bollocks.
I wont even rent out the original if I find it because I doubt I can take the horror... the american version I might live through :D

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by SFXman

If the original is better that does not automatically make the american version bollocks.
I wont even rent out the original if I find it because I doubt I can take the horror... the american version I might live through :D

yeah but you´re a pussy that's afraid of his own shadow.....

:p

N

Novamir

SFX, i saw the ring in a cinema, and i can definitely say its scarier than the most scary films i've seen- the exorcist, alien, event horizon to name a few.

if you are scared by horror, you'll be terrified by the ring :p

T

Testin da Cable

so, would you say it's wise to watch both versions? the american one is being released here shortly iirc, but I'd much prefer the original -based on what I hear about it. the notion of fear-induced awakeness thrills me :)

O

old.tRoG

I can't watch horror films - I'm the worlds biggest wussie when it comes to needles and blood and things.

Eek!

You have found my one weakness!

Needles!

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by Novamir
- the exorcist, alien, event horizon to name a few.

Event horizon...scary?... :eek7:

ri-ight....and i guess red planet is a blair witch project in space.

N

Novamir

well i was young and impressionable when i got into the cinema to watch it =P maybe it wouldnt be so scary now. and i didn't find blair witch project scary at all.. i just felt like this was a student mess around the whole way through and couldnt take it seriously

C

cHodAX

The Hollywood version is pretty damn good as far as Hollywood movies go, I would like to watch the Japanese version but I am not sure subtitles help convey the feeling of horror. Saying that, alot of people that I have spoken to and have seen the Japanese version say it is a superb peice of work.

O

old.Tohtori

To Nova: Yeah, BWP isn't scary...when i saw it it was on a crappy quality vhs with no subs...looked a lot more real and well...watching it alone at 1am on a winter night might help..with the window open and all :p

Not scary but ..."mindfucking"...annoying perhaps...you know..pressure feeling..

To chodax: The subs ain't what makes The Ring (orig) scary, it's the way it's made. It's one of the freakiest things i've ever seen. DVD is a must so you can watch the "deathvideo" after the movie to really mess you up.

E

El_Coolio

Movies just don't scare me,
After liveing in my house for long,
I get used to scary and un-explained things going on,

So scary movies don't scare me...

Oh, and i enjoyed both movies.

S

Sharma

hmmm the Ring two was fairly scary however not much to the point as the orignal did, im thinking about actually buying it and scaring the living shit outta my mates :p

the original scared me to the point that i can actually recall the entire movie in my head, the ring 2 is a bit vague however

S

Spinky

Was quite funny when I lent the ring to a friend, He was watching it when the phone rang in the movie just after the woman watches the ring video (when we do too), then i called him to ask something random and he called me a shit for scaring him. Funny thing was it was just a random call and i didnt know he was watching the movie at the time :p

Apparently his phone went off at the exact time the phone did in the movie too :p

O

old.mattshanes

I seen all 3 parts and would say they are original and decent,the first is very scary and well directed.

G

gengi

Never seen it, is it available in the UK to rent ? preferably the scary Japanese version ?

D

Damini

Yeah, most Blockbusters have the Ring to rent. In order it goes Ring, Ring 2 then Ring 0. Watch it, then give us a review Gengi :) Or you can buy all three on DVD for £25 from Play I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom