Music The return of The Prodigy

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Now that they've got their first couple of singles out the way, what does everyone think/want/expect from the new album?

After 3 top albums, their 4th wasn't very well received. It had a couple of good Prodigy tracks on it, and it wasn't a bad album but it was more a good dance album as opposed to a good Prodigy album.

The two new singles, Invaders Must Die and Omen are very different. The first is a fairly bland and uninteresting Pendulum-style sounding track, which doesn't fill me with much hope or joy.

On the other hand, Omen is absolutely brilliant. It's a real return to that manic hard-hitting style and is very good. Kind of a mix between Jilted Generation and Fat of the Land styles.

So I'm hoping that the album is more like Omen than anything else. I am however worried that Omen is the standout song on the track, having got its release in the run up to the album release

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
The real question is whether there is anything on there that can match Breathe, Their Law or Voodoo People??????

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I think Omen stands up to their best tracks (You're also missing No Good there ;))

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
try singing the lyrics to hyperspeed over omen, its very similar, not dissing the prodigy I'm a huge fan just think it's an attempt to copy some old stuff to see how its recieved. Personally I think invaders must die is better because its those deep and dirty beats that Liam does so well.

Btw Dave Grohl drumming on one of the tracks, nice.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I have not yet heard :/ someone point me to teh faithful youtube or something!

Sar

Part of the furniture
And Breathe :)

IMD is ok (seen it on XBL about 3 months ago), but Omen's good - like Wazz I prefer the Prod's harder hitting & faster tracks.

AONO was shit bar 2/3 tracks. Hope this is a fuckload better.

If he/they have more tracks like Shadow of the Devil then I'm happy.

YouTube - PGR4 Trailer with entire 4:08 Prodigy song

Kryten

Old Cow.
Certainly a fan of Omen after hearing it on R1 the other day, but not a fan of invaders must die. Will take a look at the full album at some point and see, but I think I'm at the point where it's worthless trying to judge an albums quality by their previous music due to shifts in tastes, styles and generally getting older.

I could sit here all day and add to the list of Prodigy greats - charly, out of space, hyperspeed, no good, poison et al. These day's I try not to worry about new releases too much but rather play a lot of the older music. I know I like it, so it works ;)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
When i heard invaders must die, i was very very disappointed. It just seemed like the "new direction of prodigy" that the latest album was and i'm more of a fan of the older/classic stuff.

Invaders must die sounds like that, mushroom eating music, where their law, voodoo people etc sound like "smash something and kill people" music.

Omen, restored my faith in Prodigy ;)

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
judging the prodigy by their old stuff is a bad idea. They've always been ahead of the game and none of their albums are the same style as the previous.

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Hmm I liked them both, currently preferring IMD (some dirty noise similar to some of the stuff on Always Outnumber, Never Outgunned) to Omen (reminds me of a copy of their older stuff which currently isn't clicking with m), may well change my mind, but I shall definitely be getting the album.

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
Meh

Invaders must die sounds like something pendulum have or are doing atm

Omen sounds like the bastard child of some of their older hits.

I don't like either if I'm being honest - but then I thought the last album was shit too. Shame - cos I love fat of the land and Jilted Generation..

M

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
judging the prodigy by their old stuff is a bad idea. They've always been ahead of the game and none of their albums are the same style as the previous.

Fair point, but taste wise ofcourse one has to compare particular tastepud reaction to the other :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
ooo sweet finally get to watch properly and I like that Omen song :)

Sar

Part of the furniture
Ok, having heard the whole album, I can honestly say, that while not a complete return to form of the JG/FotL era, it is a lot better than AONO!

It's definitely a grower, and IMD is growing on me a lot the more I hear it.

The last track however, Stand Up, is not a Prodigy track whatsoever. It sounds more like fucking Mark Ronson!

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Ok, having heard the whole album, I can honestly say, that while not a complete return to form of the JG/FotL era, it is a lot better than AONO!

It's definitely a grower, and IMD is growing on me a lot the more I hear it.

The last track however, Stand Up, is not a Prodigy track whatsoever. It sounds more like fucking Mark Ronson!

Lol I'm just listening to Stand Up for the first time. Doesn't sound like Prodigy I grant you, does sound good though. In fact I like the abum tbh, fucking sounds HUGE. Definite Pendulum infuence. Sounds great with the volume turned up a tad :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
Listening to the new album for the first time currently.
Take Me To The Hospital is genius with throwbacks to some cracking old tunes :D

There's hints of Experience strewn throughout the album and I fucking love it for that. Mixtures of late 80's and the early 90's getting thrown in with modern beats and heavy rhythms and it seems to work, at least for me. Piranha is a good example of that.

The "Omen Reprise" I'm trying to figure out. Very trancey for Prodigy :)

But Stand Up though - can't get my head round it. I don't know whether to like it or not, parts of it are certainly tickling my fancy. One of them tracks that I think were produced under the influence of a bit too much stuff :D

Certainly rate the whole album a lot higher than AONO. As a result of my piracy I'll be popping to the shops tomorrow to purchase it :)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Bastards.
I'd wanted to hate because the last album sucked but this kind of music is right up my street.

<3

Uara

Part of the furniture
IMD has definately got Pendulum running through it, it could easily be put on a P album.

Omen on the other hand is boss. Downloading the album now but will definately buy it on Monday, I think CD not mp3!

Sar

Part of the furniture
Yeah, I'm deffo buying it come payday on Weds. Fucking ace album all round, and I've been listening to it on repeat since acquiring it.

I do like Stand Up Bods, but it is a completely different style to pretty much anything Prods have put out previously. Closest to it would be Skylined on MftJG IMO.

Started listening to AONO again too with a pair of fresh ears, as I'd not iistened to it in a couple of years. Still not great, but not as bad as it used to be though.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
It doesn't sound anything like pendulum what da fook.

Your ears are broken.

Sar

Part of the furniture
It sounds a bit like Pendulum's newer style, or more rather, Pendulum's newer style sounds more like FotL era Prodigy.

Particularly Granite & Tempest - compare and contrast Slam & Hold Your Colour against the newer tracks for example.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
It sounds a bit like Pendulum's newer style, or more rather, Pendulum's newer style sounds more like FotL era Prodigy.

Particularly Granite & Tempest - compare and contrast Slam & Hold Your Colour against the newer tracks for example.

And compare them to the proper Pendulum tracks, i.e Vault (and the VIP), Back 2 You, Still Grey and Another Planet.

Slam is teh suck.

Sar

Part of the furniture
I quite like Slam tbh, and Another Planet (Burton WotW FTW!) and Still Grey are ace too.

Vault actually has flavourings of Granite about it, or rather vice versa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom