The Proposed Midgard Frontier

Z

zoia

You will note that portal keeps no longer exist. Instead, all three realms have frontiers in the same zone, and each frontier area is separated by an ocean.
Looks like nonspeed soloers are in for a long walk :p
I hope all those keeps/towers don't come with guardpatrols, making soloing near impossible.

Other than that, this looks great :)

P

parzi

teehee
also ships & fights with them will come

"This is HeavyCarrier HMS GOL, Enemy at 9'oclock ! Oh no, Jack-Herer Submarine Quadhittorpedo fired !"
xDDDDD
giv

C

corel

cant wait for the first buttonspammer to pbaoe and sink their own ship :D

V

VVatchh

:eek7: Oo, looks like mythic is planning some great stuff ...
:uhoh:

I don't trust this :scared:

Lets hope they get it right this time .. without making all new mistakes ontop of all the others .. like Toa will be.

Z

zoia

I want cannons, so i can sink the ships with inc infils!

F

- Fedaykin -

omg looks great

thats the first time i've said that about daoc for ages

R

rure_

Originally posted by parzi
teehee
also ships & fights with them will come

"This is HeavyCarrier HMS GOL, Enemy at 9'oclock ! Oh no, Jack-Herer Submarine Quadhittorpedo fired !"
xDDDDD
giv

lol :clap:

aye it seems like a really cool frontier :D

H

hotrat

It looks good but 2 things worry me.

Firstly the positions of the keeps, if patrols are kept the way they are atm there doesn't seem to be very many places to rvr away from them.

The other thing that worries me is the number of towers, if they are anything like the towers in Castle Sauvage... well we all know how strong pbae groups are in there. Hopefully more like the tower in odins or the mill in emain, and I really hope they don't have guards.

I do wonder how high the canyon pass will be as well (number 4); at first I pictured it to be as high as the very top of a keep, but it could be only as high as say a milegate or something, will be interesting and caster groups will get a huge advantage while being on top, which could deter people from going there at all unless they are on top.

A

Arnor

Originally posted by zoia
Looks like nonspeed soloers are in for a long walk :p
I hope all those keeps/towers don't come with guardpatrols, making soloing near impossible.

Other than that, this looks great :)

amagaad :D

suddenly glad i know so many ppl with skalds xD

K

kirennia

omg @ that, looks fantastic. Pretty mcuh like what DAoC should have been from retail. But then again, as we all know, it's all a matter of whether they get the balance right that will determine whether it'll be good or not.

As for problems about pbaoers camping towers, there is nothing easier in the game then turning a blind eye :p

L

loxleyhood

I shall captain the small ship, the HMS Awesome.

H

Herbal Remedy

i bet alb fronteer is still filled with orange > purple con mobs all over the shop :<

U

Urme the Legend

That looks great! We really need some changes in RvR and the frontier to make it more fun.. too bad EU won't get it until late spring/summer :(

But it looks promising.

A

-ag-bometal

If only the half of it came through,

It would be awesome :)

Much better then the dull frontier layout we have now...

As long as there is a possebility to solo, i am a happy man :)

K

Kallio

Good that mythic is making something free at last... I find it totally silly that they make new uber abilities and say "you dont HAVE" to buy it... But if you dont everyone else will rock and you´ll suck.

It should´ve been like this from the start. Horses, houses, Master levels(something to do in PvE before level 50) also, alchemy should´ve been in retail.(Potions anyone?) SC should´ve been there also, but wasnt. It should´ve been implemented some other way though imbuepoints cut in half or something or that only certain parts of the armor could´ve been SCed.

heh, cutting my whine to here. Frontiers sure looks Good :)

J

jox

Looks great, especially Canyon Pass and Ruin. This will prolly take the game to a new level. Enviroment based tactics, at last.

I almost feel the urge to roll a hunter and start a hunterbrigade(and camp coast keeps and perhaps canyon) so we can give the albs/hibs a nice welcome.

A fg rr 7+ maxbuffed snipers with toa-equipment working in perfect cordination...oh, how sweet.

R

Rg.Roller

Loooks abit more interesting i do admit, but i ran out of faith in mythic a long time ago. Hope it wont be as dull and controlled as i beleive it will be, the layout seems gr8 for pbaoe grps with all those towers and keeps.

Il wait to play it beofre getting my hopes up :sleeping:

A

ab_fluid

looks stlong imo! can't wait for this, a nice change from the tedious frontier stuff we got atm

A

Aloca

To get to the Relic keeps you now need to pass 1 of the Milegates leading there,

but it also look like there will be no more mile gates for normal rvr.. instead alot of strategic positions like up a hill where enemy cant run, im guessing scouts and other ranged soloers will camp those rope bridges shooting anything below em

C

corentmm

5 - Dark Woods. This patch of woods has been overrun with lots of thickly settled and angry creatures. This serves as a disincentive for armies moving through the area. (The idea is that a single person, and perhaps even a careful group, can slowly snake their way through the woods to the other side, but any significant force would avoid this area like the plague as they'd be bogged down indefinitely fighting all the mobs that aggroed on them.)

14 - Slush Pond. This area is a marshy, swampy or slushy area that sporadically slows movement. This is to act as a disincentive to movement through the area.

Liked these bits - looks great, hope it doesn't turn out too gimmicky though.

S

Stormm

think the map looks great but agree with this quote taken from vn boards:

'If rewards and objectives in rvr remain as they are today - entirely based upon individual rps.

Then faster alternative ways to find a fight will mean zero people using the new maps as intended.

That said, without some sort of persistant and cumulative realm wide rewards for every day rvr (not massive one-off relic raids), the more involved frontier is pointless anyway, they might as well just give us a 1fg vs 1fg match up service.'

there needs to be something else to play for not just rp's n relics.

thought this post, although long has some very interesting ideas

alot of people on vn also asking for ways to get to battle faster, I think thats daft - like PS with hotspots etc .. ok for a FPS but not an rpg. I want to be able to roam with a grp witrh enough room to not know whats over the next hill or around the next corner.

O

old.Ramas

Originally posted by -ag-bometal
As long as there is a possebility to solo, i am a happy man :)

As of today, you can't even make a boat move solo.

So you'll be fine so long as you don't want to vist enemy realms. Unless you want to swim the ocean I suppose.

Also, I should probably open a book on the first whine threads about....

1) The pointlessness of a forest full of mobs. It's only use is to travel unseen (you won't be able to move fast, or find battles there); and unfortunately there is no real reason to want to move 1fg to the other side of the forest.
2) The lameness of archers camping the canyon ridges so that tank based gank groups have trouble getting through.
3) The number of caster debuff groups in the swamp.
4) The fact that noone ever comes by <point of interest> which is the only place <class> is percieved viable.

Frontiers lives or dies by giving people a new and as yet unnannounced reason to take 1-3fg sized forces to points of interest.

If rp remains the only goal we'll all end up running back and forth to wherever the widest open spaces are found in the new zones; and this board will be full of whine threads complaining about other realms camping the points of interest which block peoples access to the open spaces.

D

Driwen

Originally posted by old.Ramas
As of today, you can't even make a boat move solo.

So you'll be fine so long as you don't want to vist enemy realms. Unless you want to swim the ocean I suppose.
or get a group of people who want to solo and get a boat. However solo'ing in other frontiers will be harder(as getting there requires some organisation). So if the enemy isnt solo, you being solo yourself is pretty pointless. This is off course, if boats require more than one person to move.
1) The pointlessness of a forest full of mobs. It's only use is to travel unseen (you won't be able to move fast, or find battles there); and unfortunately there is no real reason to want to move 1fg to the other side of the forest.
actually when mids keeps are under attack most mids come to the keep with a fg at a time, so you can get to the keep to defend it.

2) The lameness of archers camping the canyon ridges so that tank based gank groups have trouble getting through.
than avoid the canyon with tank based group?

Users who are viewing this thread