The power of music

P

[PS]Mung

Aint it wonderful what music can do?

Take for instance this afternoon.
I'm listening to Paul Weller (Stanley Road) and by golly the memories that are flooding back.
At the time I got this album, me and an old G/F listened to it constantly whilst doing various things (some legal others not so legal).

That was years ago, and since then I've dated other girls and gotten married, but no music since this Paul Weller album has had quite the same effect.

Music and memories.......anyone else have similar powerful experiences?

L

Lessurl

Yes, quite often when i listen to an old album i haven't listened to for a while it brings back memories of the time when i first bought it and used to play it a lot.
Manic Street Preachers for example (any of their albums, they were my favourite band at the time) brings back a lot of memories from my last 2 years at school.

M

mank!

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here reminds me of my ex, but mostly the good things thankfully.
Some really shit songs that were in the charts last summer remind me of boiling hot days at work, doing fuck all and just pissing about. T'was great.

and loads more, but Ill be fucked if I can remember em

F

Faeldawn

Shine on you crazy diamond, gr8 song.

Oh less, i saw the Manix 12 years ago playing a very small venu in my local town with the origional line-up (b4 the singer died) shortly before they released their first single :)

M

mank!

Their singer isn't dead, the 'rhythm guitarist'/lyricist disappeared. He also disappeared ages after their first single was released.

Where are you from? Blackwood?

G

Gef

I get weird flashbacks listening to the early Verve stuff, mainly drug induced though

J

Jupitus

[oldman]

One for the vine from Fleetwood Mac's Wind and Wuthering album (1977 I think) always throws me into a world of adventure as I read Famous 5 adventures all summer long while my big sisters played the album relentlessly.

Elton John and Kiki Dee and their smash 1976 hit brings floods of camping holiday in the New Forest during the drought that year - it was playing time and time again on people's radios around the camp site.

Music hits at your senses and can bring about the most tangible of feelings as if from nowhere... the strongest of these seem to be as vivid as actually being there the first time round. It can do the same with emotions, easily.

[/oldman]

P

plightstar

Indeed I've been listening to alot of Latin House and Brazillain Drum n' Bass, which is very uplifting and as im suffering from a flu bug at the moment I find it very easy to listen to.

J

Jonny_Darko

Ain't it horrible when you can no longer listen to one of your favourite albums of all time because it brings back memories of a really bad period. And since people often use music to help them through bad times this must happen a lot!

"Oh cool! Pearl Jam's 10! Not heard it in years, this reminds of [starts crying]."

M

mank!

Originally posted by Jonny_Darko
Ain't it horrible when you can no longer listen to one of your favourite albums of all time because it brings back memories of a really bad period. And since people often use music to help them through bad times this must happen a lot!

"Oh cool! Pearl Jam's 10! Not heard it in years, this reminds of [starts crying]."

Yes, it's why I can't listen to Radiohead much anymore...

W

Wij

Bryan Adams - Everything I do...

I worked picking tomatoes for about 3 months one summer. This song was number 1 ALL THE FUCKING SUMMER, EVERY FUCKING WEEK.

Radio 1 was piped to us all day. I listened to this song FOUR TIMES EVERY FUCKING DAY FOR 3 <UNTING MONTHS!!!!!!

*cry*

D

dysfunction

ACDC Thunderstruck reminds me of University...aaah those were the days

O

old.Dillinja

Some old skool dnb/jungle reminds me of the good times when I used to live in Stratford.

J

Jonny_Darko

Originally posted by Wij

Noooooo!

I had my first snog to that song. I tell ya, it's not something I really want want to remember. She looked like Gonzo's even uglier twin sister.

W

Wij

Originally posted by Jonny_Darko
Noooooo!

I had my first snog to that song. I tell ya, it's not something I really want want to remember. She looked like Gonzo's even uglier twin sister.

Let us share our pain fellow Adams-sufferer.

We can set up a support group perhaps. Meet once a week for counselling. Afterwards we could go to the pub and plan kidnaps and stuff to satisfy our twisted urges from our mentalist braaaaaaaaainz !!1

P

plightstar

Originally posted by Wij

Radio 1 was piped to us all day. I listened to this song FOUR TIMES EVERY FUCKING DAY FOR 3 <UNTING MONTHS!!!!!!

Well at least its not as bad as GWR where all they play is the same 5 songs again and again and these songs are 6 yrs old they really need to update their playlist with maybe a sixth song.

Y

Yoni

Similar experience with mr adams I was working on the factory floor for 10 hours a day with that horrible damn song blaring at me and all the old biddies singing along side very badly out of tune. The other song od that summer which makes my toes curl (not in ecstacy but in horror), is Right Said Fred and I'm too Sexy :twak:

W

Wij

Originally posted by Y0ni
Similar experience with mr adams I was working on the factory floor for 10 hours a day with that horrible damn song blaring at me and all the old biddies singing along side very badly out of tune. The other song od that summer which makes my toes curl (not in ecstacy but in horror), is Right Said Fred and I'm too Sexy :twak:

Oh yes. That one was a bad one. Was it the Summer after ?

O

Old_Bean

You can't blame poor old Bryan Adams, it's not his fault hordes of morons brought the damn song. He just sung it.

It's the morons which need culling not the Adams.

Mung
Bryan Adams Fan Club Member.

Users who are viewing this thread