hello all,

Just wondering about your guys thoughts on a perfect RvR scout

greets

M

Meatballs

50 stealth 50 bows then either shields or weapon

or 39 stealth 50 bows 42 shields 6 slashing

saracen with 10 pts in con dex qui

you'll be pretty crap in pve though. dont even bother melee (if you do use shield styles I reckon) just be a damage dealer using arrows and use your shield to block if you get aggro :D

W

Wicoa

Slash requires a decent amount of strength, your dex should be naturally high so I would go with Thrust. The Shield Engage ability is cool you can block 95% of stuff even from a distance ie other archers/casters.

Also don't bother with stealth initially. Every level you want to spec in bow then dump the rest in shield or thrust. At about 15 start preparing your stealth cause you'll need it for rvr later. Im not sure 50 stealth is needed for a scout tho, for a stealth attacker (e.g Infiltrator) sure. Im taking mine to low or high 30's only so I can sneak up to or past high level mobs in rvr, you're gonna be detected anyhow by stealth trackers so even if its 50 they will still get you, you only need stealth to hide out in some woods or nice patches of groves.

Take Bow to 50, Stealth to 30/40 (No Higher) and the rest in Shield or Thrust depends on what you want to do.

Cheers Wicoa

O

old.Hendrick

39 stealth as the rest seems to be easily obtained with items and realm rank bonus. Bow maxed, rest slash and maybe 7 shield, and I'd go for a briton with +10str, +10 dex, +10 quick. This gives you more strength to carry arrows, and you can actually hurt in close combat. As you will mostly face assassins or other archers in close combat, the slash will be nice against their leather armor. I will start a scout aimed at these specifications soon.

O

old.Cayleb

Let me know when you start that Scout Hendrick, been meaning to do one myself for a while. Always fancied trying out a double Scout combo :)

W

Wicoa

Im maxing out shield to 42 cause the stun will stun a tank (e.g a troll) so you can run your arse away from trouble.

Up to you tho I just like to know I got an escape plan if I get into trouble.

I suggest you make your own scout tho cause we don't all want to be the same.

You want at least 9 shield for the 95% shield engage ability so you can block attacks from afar e.g other archers and mages, very handy if you ask me. 7 shield is too little and you will regret it later in rvr. But we are all entitled to our opinion.

Cheers
Wicoa
Lords Of England

O

old.Hendrick

I have shield 7 with my merc and have the engage:) Is there a better one at 9? i see no point in speccing shield to 42, because if a fighter gets that close to me, I did something wrong as a scout, but that's just my opinion. Of course, sometimes that may not be avoidable on the other hand.

I'd rather be able to stand against any assassins that are trying to get me, but then they'd propably exterminate me anyway with their crit-strike. When I seriously start that archer I'll look a bit more into shield-skills, but at the moment I think a high slash-rating would be better for close combat, after all it's quite a way to go until you have shield at 42. I always have this picture in my mind where two archers face off, both try their shot, then I cut the crap, draw my weapons, charge the other guy and shred him to pieces. Though a buffed ranger or a hunter with pet should always have the advantage over me :)

Looks like the classic "train what you like", as you can't really go wrong with either choice I believe.

W

Wicoa

Yep

I just like to have an escape plan if something goes wrong then I can stun em then peg it. You do exactly what you like with your scout if we were all the same then we'd be boring.

S

SFXman

I say:
Saracen, 10 dex, 10 str and 10qui.
Specs:
Longbow 50 <-- Get a better damage bonus from actual specs apparently.
Shield 42 <-- Lately have heard that the 42 shield is vital for survival if a even slightly tough opponent comes up. 10 seconds is easily enough to run away or kill them with the bow.
Stealth 36 <-- Can get it very near to 50 or to 50 with items...
Thrust 15 <-- Why bother get more? In RvR, you will die in melee anyway... :)
So far my scout has the 15 thrust already at L27, longbow I have kept maxed, shield is still at 8 only and stealth has the rest (if I remember correctly). I guess I will lay off stealth next levels and take longbow+shield only.
This template seems quite good imho.

O

old.Hendrick

Saracen scout is so booooring. Everybody does that. :) I am contemplating a Highlander Scout at the moment :clap: , but being the optimating Pen&paper guy I guess I won't be able to live with their bad dex.

O

old.windforce

I made my scout Briton.
He solo's yellows at lvl 11 :p

Not sure if he holds out in RvR later but i was hoping starting specs become less important later on

greets

S

SFXman

Originally posted by windforce
I made my scout Briton.
He solo's yellows at lvl 11 :p

Not sure if he holds out in RvR later but i was hoping starting specs become less important later on

greets
Just about every scout can solo yellows after L10 and some oranges after L20, without any problem and not even getting touched by the mob. :)

O

old.The McScrooges

I've got a Highlander Scout, which I'm enjoying at the mo'.

Can't kill anything dead with my bow, I normally get off 2-3 arrows. But after a Paladin anything that pulls is great.

Blues are easy and down to about half-life when the get to me and minimal downtime, yellows 3/4. With my high strength and thrust they drop, but I'm usually resting for a bit longer than I'd like.

Liljock - Highlander Scout lvl 11.

G

Gef

All those just starting out as a Scout I have just one bit of advice - NYMPHS

Those little beauties got me from level 12 - 23 in no time at all, I could solo oranges and not get hit. Only problem with them is they dont spawn fast enough ;)

Although my Scout was very well funded by my Cleric and using the best arrows money can buy at level 15 is not really a viable option for most people ...

I dont really know what i'm aiming for spec wise, i'm just making it up as I go along. Doesnt really matter anyway because in a later patch you get the chance to change your mind and shuffle your skills around once per char :p

S

SFXman

Liljock.... just one thing.... you high str and thrust? Not a very good combination, I hope you meant slash...
Gef, nymphs are great.... I must agree on that. They fall very very easily and have great loot and give great exp.
I also have used the best arrows since somewhere around L15, does help :)

G

Gef

I think nymphs have weaker armor vs slashing arrows (broadhead) I was aimed shotting yellows for over 200hp. Just wish there was something similar at the higher levels :(

G

Gef

The Shield Engage ability is cool you can block 95% of stuff even from a distance ie other archers/casters.

I'm pretty sure engage only works in PvE, I may be wrong but that is what I was always led to believe...

A

Ardwan

Originally posted by Gef

I'm pretty sure engage only works in PvE, I may be wrong but that is what I was always led to believe...

Engage works in RvR aswell, is kinda fun to have an enemy ranger/hunter fire one arrow at you, then you /face, engage, and run straight at him, some of them will keep firing arrows in the hope they will take you down before you get to them :)
But the fact that both Middie, and Hibbie archers get a speed boost, while scouts get bugger all, makes it bloody hard to catch em if they turn and run.

O

old.Witchunter

Stealth is almost useless for scouts, at least according to posts on the VN Boards ( http://vnboards.ign.com/default.asp?cat=14566 ). With the assasins 'true sight' ability, scots will be uncovered at long range and become easy prey. Maybe I misread something, but that's how I understand it.

I think I'll only take my scout to lv24'ish, have some fun in the low level Battlegrounds next patch, then delete him later in the year.

A Double-scout group works wonders, well, at least it did in Mithra :D

Anyway, I'm still an RvR newbie but I rarely see solo scouts going all the way. Normally with the Emain PK camped, we end up running back and forth and I'd imagine there're few chances for scouts to snipe. Perhaps a veteran scout could tell us about their experiences?

I wouldn't mind building a scout who can start firing during stand-offs, and when the rush starts, he can switch to melee and join the others in death... or glory.

Anyway, a full Longbow spec, with high shield, high thrust/slash and minimum, if any, stealth is something that I'm considering.

You could just go for a Wizard, but a scout can do serious ranged damage, help in melee situations and take considerably more damage then a caster!

Obviously I chose a Briton to suit my spec, but I've gone for thrust because the styles look better, aswell as the Gladius.

Ultimately, build the scout the way you want to play him. Hell, when my Sorceress goes to RvR, she's more of a nuker then mezzer. But, I can't shake the feeling of mezzing a red-con troll and nuking him out of his misery, with the aid of fellow Albions of course :)

One thing I have learnt about RvR, is that it's not the way you expect it to be. go out and fiddle around and see how 'you' work best, not how your 'class' is supposed to work.

A

Ardwan

I like the idea of being stood with everyone else, and firing into the huge mass of trolls, and being a highlander, they aren't as likely to realise that i'm a scout, plus when the enemy get close enough, i'll be able to fight in melee, granted I won't be soloing anything in melee, but an extra hit or two on troll could save someone else's life.
Plus this is how longbowmen actually were when they were around. They would all fire as much as possible, but as soon as the enemy got too close, they would all drop thier bows, draw thier swords, and get into melee combat.....mainly because the longbowmen were an enemies biggest threat, and if captured, they would have thier thumbs cut off, meaning they could no longer use a bow, while if a normal soldier was captured, they would be ransomed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom