The Official Lotto Rules Debate Thread

S

svartmetall

Would appreciate it if someone could make this a sticky, since it's becoming a hot topic IMO.

OK this was sort of catalysed by seeing the number of items from last night's TG raid that have come up for sale in the Trading thread...I'm NOT having a go at anyone in particular, but IMO the "everyone gets to roll until they get something" system sucks.

And here's why.

Picture the scene; you've just been on a TG raid, you're back in Hagall for the lotto, and all you want is (say) the snacky 2H sword that dropped. Lotto goes ahead; it gets won by a RM who cannot ever use it, and then the next day you see it on the Trading forum here being auctioned off at a starting price of like 3 plat or something.
So...you either never get it, or have to try and farm 3+ plat to get something you could/should have gotten for free in the Lotto but went to someone who'll never use it and treats it as an excuse to fleece people for sums of money that involve forcing them to spend ages farming cash (while saying "don't call me greedy, but give me tons of cash for something I got for free").

I have never paid money for a drop in my life, nor have I ever charged people money for them - I GIVE people stuff, hell, they didn't cost me anything after all! I would rather regard my fellow Midgardians as my realm mates, people ON MY SIDE, than a market to be squeezed dry of cash. At most, I'll swap stuff.

So...with that out of the way, and having seen the squabbling that can arise in Lotto situations both from the perspective of raid leader and of ordinary participant, I reckon it's past time we had a serious talk about Lotto rules.
I was persuaded to use the "1 ticket" system on my first TG raid, and see it has its merits, but my first choice was a system where only those who could USE items got to roll for them - not SMs walking off with axes with pictures of huge starting bids in their eyes or Tanks rushing off to salvage/sell staves that SHOULD have been making some caster's night as their reward for the raid.
Of course we all would like TG items, we go on raids because they are fun but also because we want stuff from the place we're going to hit...my desire for a Dragon-Shadow Great Axe is a matter of public record - and IMO these items should be out there for the people who can use them, not milked as a cash cow for the benefit of those who can't.

I guess it all boils down to how we want the game to be played, and how we want Midgard to be towards its own.

:)

P

parzi

well , good thing of the lotto system that was used yesterday is:

no discussions, same chances for everyone getting an item and it can be done for 60 ppl in a short amount of time.

also you can put your guild together, all roll for every item that someone in the grp/guild may need, and after the lotto the items are given away in the guild to the ppl that want/need them, roll again with only guild ppl if more than 1 wants an item. Thats how i got the savage vest, and our rm got the rm sleeves that i won.

with that "only if you can use it" rule, well maybe somone shows up with his shaman cause shamans are needed, but he wants the item for another char... or maybe on a sword there is +cha, but the warrior wants it for the look...

so imo the lotto system is quite ok, as there are no freaking discussions and whines like with nearly all other systems.

ok i could think of a system where everyone that participates chooses 1 class&spec for that he wants items, but then again the leader would have to write them all down or something :p

V

Vell

I agree with Svartmetall, and I believe the way Archeon does his lotteries work well. That is, in the first (and sometimes second) round of lotto, every person gets 1 roll, and can only roll for an item that class can use - with the exception of healers/shammys/pbt rm's. Items that aren't claimed in these rounds, anyone can roll on in subsequent rounds regardless of class.

This ensures that the most valuable drops go to people who will use them, but the lesser dorps can go anywhere.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

At the end of the day, it's up to individuals to act decently. Sorry, if you disagree, but I think rolling on a drop, whatever it is, with the intention of selling it for cash is bad, mmmk?

A

Archeon

Raid Lotto Rules,

1. You must be level 48+ to roll in the lotto

2. You may only roll for an item providing you have an ‘Alt’ character who is level 50, or you can use the item. This doesn’t include ‘respeccing’ by which I mean you’re a sword spec whatever and you want to roll on a hammer because you ‘plan to respec’ later. You roll for what you can use now.

3. All items will be macro’d during the hunt and items will be spammed at the start of the lotto once to make sure everyone can see what is on offer

4. The lottery follows the ‘one way ticket’ system. You are allowed to roll once per round* of lottoing, Regardless of whether you win or lose.

5. If your lucky enough to win an item you cannot roll in any other rounds. PERIOD! There will be no exceptions made for this rule. (so basically you can only win at most, ONE drop per hunt)

6. The first Two rounds of the lottery will be restricted to classes capable of using the item. If any further rounds after that items will be considered ‘Free Game’ to all.

* = A round being defined as the time it takes to go through every one item collected on the hunt once.

This is a copy of the lotto rules i use (though if a better system comes along, or a new idea/rule is brought it i'd be more than happy to consider adding it)

Personally i like these rules because in general it means that people can chose what they want to roll on. The problem with the 'Everyone can roll' lotto system is obvious. Say you want a pair of dropped gloves, well your going to wait till the gloves come up. But ever item that gets lotto'd off reduces your chance of winning an item, but if you were to roll and you won. Well you won't be able to get the item you wanted.

I don't think the '1-way ticket' system, when done correctly is any slower than the 'everyone can roll' system. And it usually means there are better chances to win items for everyone (also as a side note, there is less chance of the raid leader missing out the real winners high roll because theres so much /random spam)

BUT, i don't think anyone has the right to complain about the way a person does their lottery.

I mean nobody will force you to come. And when you sign up to come on a raid you are in effect agreeing to abide by the raid organisers rules. If you don't like them, don't come.

And as you can see from one or two posts here, some people favour different lotto systems for certain reasons (e.g. Done quickly, etc, etc)

Thats how i feel about it anyway.

Z

zmurf

agree with all archeon's rules except for #1 ... lvl 50 or go exp imo ...
What i don't get is these Raidleader's who sell the item's on bw insted of making a second round, why is it these 4fg (or howmany ppl r) who were on the raid, find some item's that don't go to them but goes to the one on bw with the most money ? make's absolutly no sense, and i'v clearly stated my opinion on this on the raid's where this has happened, and the 2 time's iv done this the raid leader has just chosen not to hear/read this, and i can only come to the conclusion the person kept the money from the sale on BW himself, why else would he refuse to answer ?

Users who are viewing this thread