Holiday The Northern Lights..

russell

FH is my second home
I would like to go see for my 40th. I was thinking of a weekend trip, as work will be manic then. Has anyone been? Where is the best place to go -it will be the beginning of January. I have heard of people paying a fortune and NOT seeing them! Bummer...

Chilly

Balls of steel
there's no guarantee you'll see them at any particular time, you're at the mercy of sun storms.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
indeed. keep an eye on the solar activity web sites. high expected activity == greater chance of seeing them.

Last time I was in Iceland they started up about 10 mins after we got home and went to bed so we missed them.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Kiruna is also good. If you go at the right time of year you can stay in the ice hotel one night and one of their chalets the next :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Bear in mind that Norway is extremely expensive. I was there last week, 2 small bottles of cider + burger = £37.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I'd say Finland(Lapland) as an option but it's fjording expensive.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
The Sun is just about at a solar maximum so for the next 6-12 months you would be very unlucky indeed if you completely missed out on aurora during a holiday far up north.

Tromso in Norway is considered the aurora hotspot due to it's high latitude. Going in January means you'll be in almost permanent night while your'e there as well.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Ooh I'm in Iceland again this coming Airwaves so fingers crossed!

Zenith

Part of the furniture
High latitude, little light polution is your best bet. I find people raging over not seeing them mildly amusing. Had to deal with loads of idiots when I was working up north for a season.

Norway, Sweden, Finland... Sweden and Finland a bit less expensive, but it'll cost you quite a lot. The best Ive seen has been at Riksgränsen, just at the border to Norway, high up in the Kiruna muncipality.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I don't have much to add to what's already been said, but as someone that tracks solar activity in the hope of photographing them more from the UK, I can share some tips that might assist:

- as Chilly said, you could spend a load of money going to higher latitudes and see nothing; it really depends on solar activity, but the higher latitudes will be the best place for a great view. You're going in winter as well, so long nights will also give you maximum darkness - there's nothing more annoying than a huge particle stream hitting the earth during the day when you'll see nothing.
- personally, I'd go to Iceland. It's far enough north and there are other things to do there besides the northern lights if they end up being a no-show (volcanoes, black beaches, clubbing etc.).
- get the following link bookmarked - http://www.solarham.net/ - you must do your homework on Aurora, planetary KP (and what that means for visibility in lower latitude, see image below), solar wind, solar activity, sunspots and how they can generate CMEs. That link will allow you to track sun activity and it will also give you a forecast so you can plan your time in the higher latitudes.
- bookmark this link - http://helios.swpc.noaa.gov/ovation/North_New.html - this is the estimated auroral oval with projected viewing line. The planetary KP index is currently 3 which means if you were in Iceland tonight, you'd likely see something.
- if possible, try to be flexible and leave your booking as late as possible. This will allow you to use the above resources to track the solar activity and if indeed a bunch of sunspots are earth directed then that could be an indicator that we're due for some geomagnetic activity.
- consider Shetland / Orkney / north tip of Lewis. Whilst not as good as Iceland, you will see Aurora during high solar activity in Scotland - it may be easier, quicker and cheaper if magnetic storms are in progress.
- I've managed a couple of photos from the central belt in Scotland, and whilst not as spectacular as what you'll see in Iceland, it does offer an idea of what can be seen from lower latitudes (the only time I've seen biblical Aurora in Scotland was when I was a boy during the 1989 solar storm when there were bright blue curtain aurora streaking across the sky):

_DSC0463.jpg

_DSC0620fh.jpg

- finally, here's the relationship between viewing lines and planetary KP:

KP.jpg

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I went to Iceland at new years once and didn't see them, but still had a great party.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Bear in mind that Norway is extremely expensive. I was there last week, 2 small bottles of cider + burger = £37.

That's daylight robbery. You wouldn't pay that even at the Lanesborough Hotel in London.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
That's daylight robbery. You wouldn't pay that even at the Lanesborough Hotel in London.

Its only daylight robbery if you're a foreigner, the cost of living if you're actually Norwegian isn't too bad (because a. high wages, b. highly subsidised services). Its amazing what a gazillion barrels of oil can buy you if you're not an idiot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom