The next big MMO

Forfid

Fledgling Freddie
GReaper said:
They were going to, but never actually got around to it as they never launched Imperator.

"...The decision to postpone "Imperator" also means that the company's plans to establish a European publishing office have been postponed. It is expected that those plans will resume as the company prepares for its 2007 worldwide publication of the "Warhammer" MMORPG."

http://www.mythicentertainment.com/press/Imperator_July_13.html

hope they do it.

Ozilia

Fledgling Freddie
Awarkle said:
http://us.games-workshop.com/news/whitedwarf/default.htm

can people stop saying its WOW graphics because if you check out gamesworkshop games they have always had the style that mythic have implemented.

The next person who says Warhammer online is WOW graphics is going to be smited from god :p or whatever deity they beleive in.

WOW copied warhammer (and as warhammer been around for at least 20 years noone can say otherwise)

I have decreed it

Well when i say wow graphics I really mean "cartoon graphics". Just easier to say wow graphics :) Feels like you're playing a game for 10-yearolds..

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Outlander said:
warhammer hmm rubbish! :)

Art looks a lot like World of WarCraft

i just started to hate warhammer already. not sure i can cope with another disney inspired game.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
I also don't like the screenshots of Warhammer.

Hope it's not going to be another cartoon.

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
Exactly I won't to feel like a mature adult when playing computer games if the images of are too cartoonish:mad:

If the atmosphear and game play are good then im in :p

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Warhammer doesn't sound very exciting... a DAoC/WoW hybrid.

Age of Conan is looking good and if the PvP delivers, it'll be huge!

They're expecting a Mature rating(17+) by staying true to the gritty world of Conan. Trailer.

Fight from horseback, collision detection and group formations, Build towns, seige enemy towns and sack them!

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
Escape said:
Warhammer doesn't sound very exciting... a DAoC/WoW hybrid.

Age of Conan is looking good and if the PvP delivers, it'll be huge!

They're expecting a Mature rating(17+) by staying true to the gritty world of Conan. Trailer.

Fight from horseback, collision detection and group formations, Build towns, seige enemy towns and sack them!

Looks more like a Guild Wars clone to me. Might be ok though

The leader of the formation can decide on different formations and the degree of freedom the various players and NPC’s can have within the formation

Not sure I like that idea .. some other person decideing how far you can move etc. Way to open to abuse imo.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
incidentally despite all the whine about GOA would you rather Warhammer europe was in the hands of (say) CTO? (they did DAOC Italy before GOA rescued it)

afaik WoW host their european servers in france and have similar problems with the french backbone.

GOA have a working relationship with Mythic and they've probably found an awful lot of the problems you bump into running a mmorpg already...

Not saying "omgz GOA ARE TEH BESTEST IN TEH UNIVARSE!" or anything but would they really be that bad?

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Flimgoblin said:
afaik WoW host their european servers in france and have similar problems with the french backbone.

WoW have horrendous problems with the French backbone and Talia (spl?) as well, which I believe is the Dutch one?

Some of the whine threads on the WoW Europe servers make the Freddys ones against GoA look like a stroll in the park.

The server my guild plays on (Turalyon) is having real problems atm with lag spikes, latency problems all the time, LDs and random disconnects back to character screen and problems logging into the character screen at all, never mind the queues and it's not even supposed to be one of the 'problem' servers queued for migration.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Flimgoblin said:
incidentally despite all the whine about GOA would you rather Warhammer europe was in the hands of (say) CTO? (they did DAOC Italy before GOA rescued it)

GOA have a working relationship with Mythic and they've probably found an awful lot of the problems you bump into running a mmorpg already...

Not saying "omgz GOA ARE TEH BESTEST IN TEH UNIVARSE!" or anything but would they really be that bad?

Perhaps if there was more integration between Mythic and GOA running Warhammer (if they did get a license that is), then I'd possibly agree. Maybe if the following things are fixed:

Same server architecture: No huge differences or different client/servers for EU and US servers. The client/server should support different languages easily. A german player on an english server should be able to see german loot names, etc.
Translation during patch development: So theres no huge delay between the different regions.
Patches rolled out within the same week: Players shouldn't wait for weeks before a patch is implemented.

If GOA were running Warhammer with Mythic instead of just Mythic licensing the game out (like DAoC), then perhaps more players would be more supportive of such an idea.

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Do we actually know if there is going to be localised Warhammer? It might be that there will only be one version run by Mythic to which everyone will subscribe to.

I haven't seen anything on the official site to say there will be localised language versions, tho I expect given that most other games these days are translated into French and German, those two languages probably will get a version.

From the FAQ on the official website.

Q: What are your plans for European distribution?

A: Some of our most rabid... er, important and vocal... Warhammer Online players live in Europe and around the world, and we want to make sure we treat them right. We have plans in the works, and details are being finalized as we speak. Keep an eye out for future newsletters.

Takhasis

Can't get enough of FH
All i can hope for is that it gets ADVERTISED just a tad more than DAOC.

Thats the main thing that let DAOC down - zero advertising means no one knows about it....

Hopefully Mythic/GOA/(whoever runs it in europe) spot what happened with daoc advertising and do something about it!

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
Takhasis said:
All i can hope for is that it gets ADVERTISED just a tad more than DAOC.

Thats the main thing that let DAOC down - zero advertising means no one knows about it....

Hopefully Mythic/GOA/(whoever runs it in europe) spot what happened with daoc advertising and do something about it!

Would imagin due to the popularity of the table top game and budget Games Workshop has there should be a failry healthy budget for marketing. Also that its getting front page coverage on alot of PC games magazines meens the hype has built up enough for it.

I can see a chunk or Warcrafts player base moveing accross if they can include enough end game content for smaller guilds and solo players.

Sollac

Fledgling Freddie
ofc warhammer will be good.

cartoony, not really the graphics look like they have 3d generated the charcters from minatures from the fantasy battle table top game...so in keeping with the feel of the game.

I'm waiting for stargate worlds.

www.stargateworlds.com

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Pirates of the Burning Sea - Yarrrrr... pirates!

vote pirates!!!
300x250_ign.swf

If there was ninjas i would vote for that tho

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
I thought Mythic were opening European offices for WARhammer online, I am use they release how much money they have lost to GOA ?

And that Age of Conan trailor looked totaly shit,

Urgat

Part of the furniture
UndyingAngel said:
I thought Mythic were opening European offices for WARhammer online, I am use they release how much money they have lost to GOA ?

And that Age of Conan trailor looked totaly shit,

Marc Jacobs has stated publicly on warhammer fan boards that Mythic WILL be opening europian offices in order to run the servers themselves.

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
Urgat said:
Marc Jacobs has stated publicly on warhammer fan boards that Mythic WILL be opening europian offices in order to run the servers themselves.

I thought I had read that somewhere :)

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Garok said:
Looks more like a Guild Wars clone to me. Might be ok though

The landscapes look similar but the game will be nothing like GW. A preview.

WoW, Warhammer and most of the other MMOs in development are evolving horizontally. They bring new content and better graphics, but the actual playing style and interaction are the same.

Conan is evolving vertically by adding new elements to the game.
Collision detection, group formations and the melee combat:

Preview said:
Sword swings are completely under the control of a player. Using the 4-9(NumPad) keys on the keyboard, the player can choose six different types of swings: upper left, lower left, upper right, lower right, overhead thrust, and straight thrust. Each of these swings strikes at the enemy from a different direction.

This variety in sword swinging is more than cosmetic. Striking the enemy is completely based on physical proximity, so if the player swings to the upper right at an enemy straight ahead and the player's weapon encounters another enemy during the animation, both enemies will be struck. Players who are adept at moving their characters around the landscape and maneuvering the enemy into a good position can take out three or more foes at a time. Strikes can also be chained together one after the other, and as they level up, players will acquire special moves that can be triggered as combos.

Sounds better than the standard system of "Target X" > "Spam style X".

Guilds forts will be in from the start, for PvP and PvE zones and define the game world's development.

Conan is offering fresher ideas than the 'standard' MMORPGs, but can Funcom deliver? It can't be another Dark and Light...

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Escape said:
The landscapes look similar but the game will be nothing like GW. A preview.

WoW, Warhammer and most of the other MMOs in development are evolving horizontally. They bring new content and better graphics, but the actual playing style and interaction are the same.

Conan is evolving vertically by adding new elements to the game.
Collision detection, group formations and the melee combat:

Sounds better than the standard system of "Target X" > "Spam style X".

Guilds forts will be in from the start, for PvP and PvE zones and define the game world's development.

Conan is offering fresher ideas than the 'standard' MMORPGs, but can Funcom deliver? It can't be another Dark and Light...

I played a game where collision detection was added (Jumpgate) and all it led to was abuse and griefing, trust me when I say the negatives outweigh any positives. There will always be a handful of wankers in every game that get nothing but joy out of making others miserable, it only takes a few to kill the game for everyone else. I happened in Jumpgate, it will happen in any game where it can stop the opposing player from performing any desired action.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
cant wait to farm WoW PVP'ers and table top gamers :)

northernmonkey

Loyal Freddie
id like to see a warhammer 40K mmorpg, would love to have a space marine chaplin.

i liked the warhammer 40k pc rts games but i havnt played them since i completed the campaign modes.

i dont think the gaming world needs another fantasy/sword/magic mmorpg. in my humble opinion we need a new take on the mmorpg and i think that WH40K would be a great distraction to DAoC.

bigchief

Fledgling Freddie
cHodAX said:
I played a game where collision detection was added (Jumpgate) and all it led to was abuse and griefing, trust me when I say the negatives outweigh any positives. There will always be a handful of wankers in every game that get nothing but joy out of making others miserable, it only takes a few to kill the game for everyone else. I happened in Jumpgate, it will happen in any game where it can stop the opposing player from performing any desired action.

at the moment Warhammer Online has collision detection too ... tho they're not sure if it will make it to release or not

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
Phantasy Star Universe? hello.... sonic team, multi format.. aint out till autumn tho sadly :(

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
if daoc dies.... ill stick to EvE online only.

i dont like really cartoony looking MMOs or Single Player games.
but as the tear gfx of WAR have not been released, then i dont know really, mybe ill give it a go

Celestino

Fledgling Freddie
EvE online ? oh yeah

Set destination, Autopilot, alt tab hm lets play something else for an hour or so

B

Benedictine

Celestino said:
EvE online ? oh yeah

Set destination, Autopilot, alt tab hm lets play something else for an hour or so

Eve is weird - some ppl swear by it - PLayed it and it was:

Set destination
Arrive
Mine
Mine
Mine
Mine

sleep

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom