the newest incarnation of my site

S

(Shovel)

Originally posted by FatBusinessman
Layout tables are bad, mmkay...

Although true, it's maybe more important to stress "why" than just to blanket everthing. CSS may well be superior, but there's no need to sound arrogant about it. Tables served us both bloody well for years.

Anyway, table layout works very nicely when developing because it's much easier to visualise where each cell is going to appear than it is to visualise where each pixel positioned CSS block is. However, it's important if you're going to use tables that you test them to buggery since they have a breaking point. Resize the text - all the way up and all the way down. See what happens, see what point that everything cocks up: You shouldn't rule out accessibility issues like that. It's not just about partially sighted people visiting your site, but people like me who run at 1600x1200 and have their font DPI bumped up to 120 can also cause cock ups if you plan your layout badly. The reason for promoting CSS is that largely, it copes much, much better with variable font sizes.

The layout is nice - simple but tidy.
I'd draw attention to the fact that the right hand edge of your news posts don't line up with the right hand edge of the blue border, you might want to try and fix that, looks a bit odd.
Also, not sure about black borders on dark blue background either, might want to try something with either more contrast, or just a subtle change (e.g a different shade of blue).

Hope that helps.

W

wyrd_fish

well, i've been meaning to learn CSS layouts for some time, maybe its time to give it a try...

the content dosen't line up with the border as it i have it set to 100% the right border fails to appear, it was a fairly crude way to fix it, i know...

Users who are viewing this thread