The new Webite Sucks

X

Xgkkp

Thank you, Ifalna, for an Informative, well thought out reply. Something I'm too tired for at the moment.

L

Louster

(Not to mention the fact that Ifalna's agreeing with us, eh Xgkkp? It would have sucked if it had been a well thought-out, informative argument AGAINST us. Boy we'd have been screwed!!! Good thing that we're on the side of right, justice and enlightenment!)
On a side note; Ifalna, please have my babies.

X

Xgkkp

Well, Louster, I am waiting for a well thought out, informative argument against us. Anyone? We have seen lots of reasons why it is bad, anyone got any reasons why it is good, or why this particular implementation could not have improvements.

I have nothing against flash, but there comes a point in which it becomes Excessive.

G

Galatea

Tell me there isn't anything on this planet that can't be improved upon and i'll create a thought out argument for the necessity of using small lurikeens as pins in bowling instead of average.

P

- Pathfinder -

Heh. high enough to make a guild? We formed ours as soon as we had gotten hold of one gold between us; it's not like we were are level 5+ :)

K

kain_pravus

I liked it alot, still think it's good..

The first time viewer is going to think "ooooh nice looking"

Us who use it alot are going to see red after a while, I would say keep the flash site but offer an alternative (flash by default).

O

old.Kennsai

i like the site alot better than the old one, GOA have put alot of work into it and it shows, its amazing site. if your on a 56k just make cookies enabled and the more you visit the site the less it has to download each time. the 1st time i went there it was damn slow but now it loads quickly and easierly and i love it

good job GOA :clap:

D

danskmacabre

Yeah, offering a no frills alternative would be nice...

P

- Pathfinder -

There is a non-flash alternative, if you're willing to manually browse through the XML :) That isn't very stimulating, though :)

For those of you who still wonder WTF XML is, take a look at this.

G

Gef

Eheh, I dont mind it TBH, its more of an advertisment for the game than anything else. I think they should XMLise the news they post too so people can add it to their own site.

Anybody registered www.eu-camelotherald.com yet? :clap:

Only thing that cheeses me off is not being able to link to pages within the flash. I mean how am I supposed to link to our guild info and say 'look how many freakin' RP's I got last week!'. I cant and ppl are too lazy to go on a slow clickfest to actually find the bit for themselves.

G

Gef

Think I figured out why GOA used so much Flash, they obviously bought Flash Communication Studio (to add live content to Flash anims) to do the first realm status anim, which costs an absolute fortune. They then felt obliged to use it for every single bit of the new site to justify the cost ;)

P

- Pathfinder -

Originally posted by Gef
Think I figured out why GOA used so much Flash, they obviously bought Flash Communication Studio (to add live content to Flash anims) to do the first realm status anim, which costs an absolute fortune. They then felt obliged to use it for every single bit of the new site to justify the cost ;)

Workable theory ;)

G

Gef

LOL run any site past bobby and it will come up with errors, bar maybe a few Linux how-to docs ;)

T

Therion

Aye

Originally posted by Ifalna
Looking at the new site from a usability point-of-view:

Takes far too long to download on a 56k modem. A perfectly acceptable and usable HTML equivalent would load in a fraction of the time.

The buttons along the bottom in the chronicles are unlabelled. I assume they're supposed to be a backwards navigation system (take you back to where you were) but I really can't be sure without actually clicking on them.

Unacceptable pauses after clicking a button with no indication of whether it's waiting for the user to do something or it's busy downloading something (when HTML is loading there's a convenient progress bar on the browser - doesn't exist with flash).

Took me at least 20 seconds to figure out how to scroll through the list of guild members. Could be a little clearer perhaps?

Can't copy and paste any of the information provided.

Pure aesthetic stuff

Every time you click an item in news and the page reloads, that little flash animation on the menu runs again.

Waiting for a menu to scroll out is annoying. My patience has limits, and waiting 0.5 seconds for pointless animation soon starts to grate.

And to those that think Flash is the future, why doesn't www.google.com use flash? Why do none of the major news sites use flash? Why is this messageboard not in flash? Is there a single succesful website around that uses it as heavily as GOA have? No. Because it's slow and it restricts usability and accessability all for the sake of some pretty animation that impresses 5-year olds.

Cant agree more..!!

K

kayless

hehe, you guys wanna take a look at it on a MAC then..... ROFL :)

L

Lanceloc

I love the new website GOA, well done.

Whats a "MAC" :confused: :cool: :D :p

C

Catnip Lightpaw

must boot apple mac up in corner(holding the door open atm) and see what it's like there :)

F

Flimgoblin

Yer missing half the point of the website... ;) it's not just there to give us the guild info....

But the XML will be here soon so you can write your own web-services platform, make it comply with W3C Accessibility I, II, and III (though you'll have a hard time complying with them all as they're hideously contradictory), then apply Nielsen's ten rules.

And everyone will be happy. We can go look at the main site for pretty graphics (oooh) or the other sites for convenience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom