the new Mass Effect copy protection . . .

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
comic_mass_effect.jpg

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Just read a bit more about this - it's Bioshock all over again. Give it a few weeks and a hassle free pirate version will be out. Once again, paying customers will be having a worse experience than pirates.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Will still buy it and then pirate it later if I have to, like I did with bioshock. Yes they may have draconian anti piracy measures but they should be encouraged to bring decent games to the only platform that can do them justice :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Will still buy it and then pirate it later if I have to, like I did with bioshock. Yes they may have draconian anti piracy measures but they should be encouraged to bring decent games to the only platform that can do them justice :)
They should be, but buying it sends a message that this sort of DRM is acceptable. I had Bioshock pre-ordered when I found out about the copy protection on that, and cancelled. I'd do the same here except I've got it on the 360 so probably wouldn't have bought it anyway.

Still - copy protection, shit pointless waste of time and the sooner people realise this the better.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Still - copy protection, shit pointless waste of time and the sooner people realise this the better.

The vast majority of people who will buy the game won't realise about the kind of copy protection it has until they buy the thing.

Is it not possible to trade it in for a new one once the five installs are up?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I got my Bioshock copy on steam...I dont think the 5 installs thing applies then...or does it??

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I read about that, its nuts. Microsoft want to bring more people to the PC for gaming and this kind thing will keep turning them away.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I got my Bioshock copy on steam...I dont think the 5 installs thing applies then...or does it??

I think it does yes, though its 3 installs i think. I got mine from steam too, on the third install now once when my HD broke and the other time when I got a new PC.

Mabs

silly link keeps going bibble, if its still not working its : HERE

:touch:

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Still bonkers :(

Forbidden!

I don't like being 404rd. Feels like i've been naughty.

Anyhoo, what's the habla about it?

Mabs

stupid page doesnt like links ! :(

this#ll work

as for the thing itself - they WERE going to make it authorize online.. and you would have to "sign in" with once a WEEK to keep it unlocked for...ever. huge outcry and theyve apparently now decided NOT to do that

was going to be on Spore aswell iirc

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
stupid page doesnt like links ! :(

this#ll work

as for the thing itself - they WERE going to make it authorize online.. and you would have to "sign in" with once a WEEK to keep it unlocked for...ever. huge outcry and theyve apparently now decided NOT to do that

Ah ok. That would've been silly.

Link(working) is haha though, have a cookie :D

Mabs

Ah ok. That would've been silly.

well quite
but as was said, its the insane "stop piracy at all costs" which actually works out as "we cant stop people pirating, so were going to make it harder for legit customers to use it "

its gone far too far now, yay for no cd cracks tbh

and anyone interested in piracy, have a look at Sins of a Solar Empire, has sold a shit load of copies, and has no copy protection, as has something else that came out recently, name escapes me

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I have a rather "working" piratestopper on the design table, but ofcourse i won't be saying it here.

It can be done, but you have to approach it from a different point of view :)

But yes, current things are just silly and inconvinience the customer, which infact, adds to the piracy.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
That new game coming out called Spore is supposed to have something like this, not sure if the links mention it, but Spore will "call home" every 10 days to confirm your copy has not yet been tampered with.

Mabs

That new game coming out called Spore is supposed to have something like this, not sure if the links mention it, but Spore will "call home" every 10 days to confirm your copy has not yet been tampered with.

id ! but apparently its been dropped completely after it got exposed, time shall tell :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Other people have suggested that the 10 day activation thing was a ploy, suggest it, everyone goes mental and then they "listen" to the customers and tone it down to what they were actually going to do all along. Thus everyone thinks they're getting a better deal when actually they're still getting shafted.

Mabs

Other people have suggested that the 10 day activation thing was a ploy, suggest it, everyone goes mental and then they "listen" to the customers and tone it down to what they were actually going to do all along. Thus everyone thinks they're getting a better deal when actually they're still getting shafted.

understand the point but i doubt it will work. when it comes out it will or wont be a pain in the arse, that will be the deciding factor

nath

Fledgling Freddie
But as Frizz said, most people won't know about the copy protection. Most people won't realise that while they're suffering with their pain in the arse anti-piracy measures, the pirates will be having a great time playing this offline-only game without any hassles whatsoever. Just like they did with Bioshock.

Mabs

But as Frizz said, most people won't know about the copy protection. Most people won't realise that while they're suffering with their pain in the arse anti-piracy measures, the pirates will be having a great time playing this offline-only game without any hassles whatsoever. Just like they did with Bioshock.

people are becoming a lot more aware of it tho now, and if they are planning on blindsiding people with it, they are on a hiding to nothing

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Every time a company fucks up with excessive DRM you'll see more and more people turn against it. These days we're paying the same amount for products and we're getting fewer freedoms, instead of getting a disc which we can install on any machine we want to (only using 1 at a time though), we're being restricted against it.

Instead of punishing genuine users with DRM they should focus more on rewarding people who bought the game. Reputation is a key aspect for companies these days and enforcing Draconian Restrictions Management doesn't help in any way at all.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Most people won't know about it, but just as many won't really care either.

Ignition

Fledgling Freddie
*Yawn*

The Securom VM has been comprehensively reverse engineered. Won't be long before a group comes out with a version with the protection completely removed and the original executable reconstructed.

Nothing wrong with this kind of protection, but inconveniencing paying customers just isn't necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom