The Mordred Problem - an interesting article.

Daamien

Fledgling Freddie
Mordred and Andred each were at maximum population (5,000) during primetime for the first month after they were introduced. This at least demonstrates interest in successfully implemented PvP rulesets. While you may attribute the initial popularity to a novelty factor, I would focus more on the reasons why those who tried the ruleset ended up leaving. I have attempted to define such reasons during my tenure as a Team Lead and Knight, and believe among other things they include a result of general neglect over long outstanding ruleset issues, difficulty for new players to get started, lack of guild goals on a ruleset where guild = realm, and a universally dwindling population due to insufficient advertising. Clustering did not exist when Andred was merged with Mordred leading to a collapse of community and PvPers were promised a PvP test server named Gorlas which never was implemented (yet may have helped provide feedback and justification to fix ruleset issues that are still a plague).

The end-game goals go missing in DAoC when realms are removed, but guilds were supposed to fill that gap on the PvP servers. Sadly no guild content has been implemented for Mordred such as the ability to take multiple keeps and towers, claim towns, or fight competitively in any sort of arena. As such, there is little to do other than senselessly kill other people. Obviously this isn't going to be very attractive to everyone, and thus content improvements which do not sacrifice PvP ruleset integrity are needed.

The prevailing player sentiment as to why the PvP ruleset receives only piece-meal fixes and changes is due to circular logic regarding developer priorities:
If specialty rulesets are not perceived as popular, then they should not receive development support.
If specialty rulesets are not receiving development support, then they will not be popular.
Therefore, it is unlikely that specialty rulesets will ever receive complex support given limited available resources, and will never grow in popularity as a result.

People often enjoy playing on multiple rulesets. If issues are not being addressed on one of the rulesets yet are elsewhere, it's logical that players will follow en masse to the fully functioning ruleset. It's rare to have two distinct playerbases; one RvR and one PvP. If you are paying a game subscription for entertainment, then there is little logic in playing on a ruleset where unresolved issues lead to a less entertaining experience.

Basically I see the failures of Mordred as a result of poor product implementation and maintenance rather than it being an unattractive idea. Hence, I think it's unfair to discount the potential for alternative ruleset specialty servers in other games based off Mordred's population woes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom