The modern player.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The modern gamer is a greedy, self centered bastard. Now this may sound harsh, but it's the reality. "All-to-me-right-now-give" attitude is the most common thing around the gaming world. Better graphics, better sound, more content, more everything! If we make a game that has three monsters, the community wants four. If we make a game with 300 soundfiles, the community wants 301. If we make a game that looks like a dropdead exact photo of real life, it's too realistic. Nothing is enough. Think of it yourself, how many times have you said to yourself or your guildies ingame "this and this should be like this and this"?

If we take a look back at the really old games, we have things like frogger. Frog crosses the street and avoids cars. Nothing more. Still it's a classic in the gaming community(old school gamers more so).

Now let's bring frogger to this day:

- The road isn't large enough a world, so we need to make it a continent.

- The graphics have to go 3D.

- Car isn't big enough a challenge so let's make it a dragon.

- One type of enemy isn't enough so let's bring in the whole fantasy group of nasty things.

- A frog? Who wants to play a frog? Let's make it an orc.

- Everyone doesn't like an orc. Let's bring in other races like humans, dwarves, trols, elves...

- Crossing the realm isn't good enough...

Well you get the point. Nowadays if someone made a game about a guy in chainmail trying to run past a dragonbreath, it would be laughed out of the preverbial game-kindergarden. It's like a modern kid with candy. You give a kid a candybar, the brat eats it and asks for more. Then another, and another. In the "old days", meaning the days of C-64, amiga and so forth, when we got a candy bar, we ate it and were happy until the next saturday. It's the same with games. We could play elite for ages, hack a pixel in a pixel dungeon for hours on end, drive a white dot around or even try and hit a white dot past another players white pixelwall. Nowadays? A game that lasts over 8 hours isn't made for the masses, or if it lasts over 8 hours, it has to have this and that and a packet of hohos to go with it.

It's as natural as masturbation people. Some deny they do it, some do it in public, but when the sun goes down, everyone complains about games today. I wish we could go back to a bit more simple gaming world, enjoy a bit less and still have the best days of our lives. I just think the new player community is missing on something. As the world gets worse and worse, the games must get better and better. Maybe it's just that people want to escape more easily from the harsh reality. With graphics and sound matching the real world and with as many things to do, maybe we find it easy to just log in with our mighty warrior or our wise beyond time mage and forget it all.

See you out there in the not so perfect world....ahem.. game.

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
If you aren't aware of something better, you dont want it.
We know games can be better and they can change. You n00bs didnt! HAHAHA! (jk)

burg

Fledgling Freddie
Maybe the problem is the games are not simple enough. Like e.g. Ultima Online. Everything was fine, then they added that little thing, then they remade that, added more, new expansion, and added even more. Boom bam bee! Game ruined, account sold.

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
Think of it yourself, how many times have you said to yourself or your guildies ingame "this and this should be like this and this"?
Well, in DAoC those things would be mostly bugs and balance issues. And no matter how good graphic or how many sound files, a game needs to be balanced to be fun.

And if its something else, like bad graphics, you might have seen better graphics in enother game, and as MMORPGs are expanded all the time, we know that its possible to get.
I still play old games witch I know will never have any good graphics, and never even think about it. However, once I heard about a remake of Final Fantasy 7 (witch has pretty poo gfx) and then I suddenly wanted wtfpwn graphics for the game.

burg said:
Maybe the problem is the games are not simple enough. Like e.g. Ultima Online. Everything was fine, then they added that little thing, then they remade that, added more, new expansion, and added even more. Boom bam bee! Game ruined, account sold.
Online games need to evolve to keep people interested I think. Then again the developers can fuck it up ;)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Korax said:
If you aren't aware of something better, you dont want it.
We know games can be better and they can change. You n00bs didnt! HAHAHA! (jk)

Actually because of us "n00bs" modern games are what they are, 'cause we saw the potential :p (know it's a joke but still a working point :D )

Korax said:
Well, in DAoC those things would be mostly bugs and balance issues. And no matter how good graphic or how many sound files, a game needs to be balanced to be fun.

But why can't people play a game for what it is, without tweaking, fixing, nerfing and changing. Add new things? Sure. Change the way things worked when we bought the game? No thanks.

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
Usually, tweaking is an attempt by the developers to please the majority of players. Unfortunately, sometimes (most of the time) the majority of players don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Iskander

Fledgling Freddie
Korax said:
Online games need to evolve to keep people interested I think. Then again the developers can fuck it up ;)

hehe yes, the recent ToA nerf fiasco shows that quite well

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Then again, nerfs for one are blessings of others. Like the so called stealther nerfs a while back.

This only adds to the point that never should things be changed, only added. And in no case ever should a character(in massive that is) be toned down. It only creates friction.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Dillinja said:
Usually, tweaking is an attempt by the developers to please the majority of players. Unfortunately, sometimes (most of the time) the majority of players don't have a clue what they are talking about.
If only that was true.

For example, Thanes, crap HPs, crap casting times, crap dmg from casts, crap looking epic, nothing to offer groups and crap RAs.

I joined like most on patch 1.38, when Euro went live, and Thanes in the US had already started whining about the problems, now here we are some 27 patches later and are we any better? Nope.

This isnt the only char to suffer this, but its my best example.

ToA will kill the casual gamer. Pure and simple.

However, Frontiers will put a lot back into the casual gamer, so at last they are getting back on track perhaps.

While Seels analagy about the evolution of gaming is true, isnt man himself like that? As an example, the car.

Ford Model T, pants engine, shat speed, available in all shades of black.

- Man wants different colours, more colours are added.
- Man wants it faster - bigger engine added
- Man wants better ride - suspension is added
- Man wants a reliable car - Man stops buying Ford and looks to Japan
- Man wants to live in it - Winnebego start prodution
- Man wants to pull in it - reclining seats invented
- Man wants to listen to music in Traffic jams - Tony Blackburn gets a job
- Man wants it to look better - The movie Fast and Furious is released

And so it goes on.

The same example can also been seen in sex, food, decor and fashion, although the latter tends to keep taking one step forward and two steps back each generation.

Back to gaming for a sec tho, heres how a non computer game turned out:

Battleships:

- Two people with paper and pen draw boxes and place coloured squares to represent ships
- MB games make plastic replicas of ships on a plastic board
- they add lights and sound to it
- Command and Conquer comes out on the PC, now you can kick arse in 3d too
- George Bush and Tony Blair get the famous games for their 30th Birthdays
- GB and TB become politicians
- The get bored with their plastic version, build real versions and challenge Sadam Hussain
- Beta is realesed and SH has his battleships sunk
- First live version finds the patches that were to give unique RAs to SH was bugged

And so on....

This is how man progresses, survival of the fittest etc, ask that Darwin chap, i hear he plays on Galahad as a Thane beleive it or not.

living

Fledgling Freddie
burg said:

Bit like daoc, be4 SC sets not all had the best gear and many had to prior what resists they wanted.. then Boom bam bee.. Mages ruined :>

Behmoth

Fledgling Freddie
old.Whoodoo said:
This is how man progresses, survival of the fittest etc, ask that Darwin chap, i hear he plays on Galahad as a Thane beleive it or not.

ONE OF THE BEST QUOTES I SEEN FOR A LONG TIME :worthy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom